Diff advise needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diff advise needed.

Thought I would try here since I got no response in the drivetrain section.

I have a 91 318 with a 4.10lsd small case diff. I was told all I need to do with a 325 diff is swap my flanges and rear cover for it to work on my car.

I bought a 2.93lsd and found the flanges seem to fit fine but the rear cover is different. Can someone shed some light on what I need to do to make it work. Can I get a e30 325 rear cover? I take it the 2.93 is a med. case correct? Thanks for any help.

No help?

Comment

You need a medium case e30 cover.

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
      '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
      '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
      '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

Why do want to put a 2.93? the m42 would be alot happier with the 4.10. Are turbo'd?
        sigpic

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=420591 5.3 LSA build in progress :devil:

Comment

Yes it's boosted. I would like to lower the revs on the freeway.

Comment

What car is the 2.93 off of? How many bolts are on the diff cover?
            sigpic

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=420591 5.3 LSA build in progress :devil:

Comment

I think he said it came out of a 325e, without it in front of me, I do remember there being 2 bolts on top and the small case only having one, this being at the top center of the cover. I think there are a total of 8 bolts? That sound right?

Comment

ya that sounds right. I dont see why you would have to change the case. The only thing i can see being a problem, is the length of the drive shaft. You can cheat a lil on this, it should no more then 20mm 25mm differnce. Here check this out maybe this can help with choosing a rotio, I still think 2.93 is to high http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=112421
                sigpic

Comment

on the note of rear diff. does any body know where to find rebuild kits for them?

Comment

Originally posted by call me jack View Post
                    on the note of rear diff. does any body know where to find rebuild kits for them?
                    Here is a thread on my 2.93LSD rebuild.

Everything is covered on where to buy and what is needed.
                    ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                    ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                    ~ '87 535
                    ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                    ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

I just want to know if I can get an 325 med case rear cover and use my flanges. Sorry if you thought I was saying I may need to swap cases.
                      With my current ratio of 4.10 and my 16" wheels, gps mph shows 3200 at 60. I need that lower, there is no 1st and second gear under boost anyways.

Originally posted by Supadave View Post
                      ya that sounds right. I dont see why you would have to change the case. The only thing i can see being a problem, is the length of the drive shaft. You can cheat a lil on this, it should no more then 20mm 25mm differnce. Here check this out maybe this can help with choosing a rotio, I still think 2.93 is to high http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=112421

Comment

Have you tried a wrecking yard in your area? The one that requires you to bring your own tools usually has a good deal.

Comment

Did the 2.93 not come with a cover? Swapping from small to medium case is something of a non-issue...the flanges are the same and the rear cover, as long as the diff was in an e30, is also the same, I'm fairly certain...

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

The diff I bought came with a cover but it was different than an e30, it has a mounting bracket that comes straight out from the top. I think when he said it came out of a 325e, he meant his car as he switched to a 3.73. I believe this diff was from a e28? Like I said the flanges seem the same, but the cover is totally different. I'm in search of an e30 med case cover in the Seattle area, any leads?

Originally posted by gearheadE30 View Post
                            Did the 2.93 not come with a cover? Swapping from small to medium case is something of a non-issue...the flanges are the same and the rear cover, as long as the diff was in an e30, is also the same, I'm fairly certain...

Comment

There's one posted on CL

- differential (<3:00:1 open)

"Give me a call if you want to come take a look at something, or send me an email with a parts list of what you need. I can be reached at 2O6.383.4736"

Maybe you can get that for a good deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X