Trans cooler for F/I E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trans cooler for F/I E30

Well my E30 is automatic and turbo charged and I would think that the factory cooler that is built into the radiator is likely not up to the job any more. I would like to setup a transcooler than can outperform the stock one. A transcool is very cheap and easy to setup but I need some help on determining the size I would need. I will be installing it directly behind where my fog light and brake duct are on my driver side. Also is it possible to run a cooler in line with my factory trans cooler? as in have the stock line run to the radiator,then have the return line run into an aftermarket cooler and then run back to the tranny? or would the added length of line cause issues?
    I'm thinking of a cooler similar to this

or this

and behind my driver side brake duct

7speedshop.com

I would run synthetic ATF if you don't already. The trans cooler is a great idea. Are you running A/C? I am wondering if the trans pan from the ZF 4hp22 equipped jags and land rovers is any deeper. A deeper pan with more fluid capacity would certainly help with cooling, but running a cooler will also increase fluid capacity.

Comment

just did more research I will be running it in series to the stock cooler. I have a filter kit coming from pelican parts and I will likely run synthetic ATF now.

7speedshop.com

Comment

It may be worth reading up on some hot-rod forums/sites to see if there are any drawbacks associated with the added pressure drop that another cooler might bring.

Comment

Originally posted by Sagaris View Post
          It may be worth reading up on some hot-rod forums/sites to see if there are any drawbacks associated with the added pressure drop that another cooler might bring.
          from the research I've been doing there doesn't seem to be any drawbacks, very few people run them separately, the risk of running it separately is that you risk the new cooler not being up to the task if its too small.

heres an example of an inline setup

7speedshop.com

Comment

Sounds good, all that I can suggest is that you run it Bosozoku style out front like the lot of high performance driving machines shown here.

Comment

lol, no thanks

7speedshop.com

Comment

It seems obvious but i want to make sure.... is the top line on the radiator the oil feed and the bottom would be the return? I will be using the B&M super cooler.

7speedshop.com

Comment

anyone know what threads the ATF cooler lines are on the factory cooler?

7speedshop.com

Comment

Does anyone know whether the threads at the radiator to cooler lines are M16 or M18?

7speedshop.com

Comment

Working...
                    X