Integrating WB AFR Etc. into Cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Integrating WB AFR Etc. into Cluster

I'm looking to ditch my gaudy center vent gauge setup in favour of retrofitting gauges into the stock cluster.

Ideally what I want:
    Boost - Econoboost gauge.
    WB O2 - Gut an Innovate LC-1 gauge and install into the "Check" light hole
    Oil temp - Digital gauge installed in "idiot light" row on cluster.

For the Econoboost setup, it seems like only a matter of time until someone makes one again. So I'm not worried about that.

For WB O2, all I find is Simon Maxwell (AKA Eurogarage) who did a video a while back on doing the same thing with an APSX gauge.
    I don't want to assume the LC-1 is the same size ( EDIT: It is ) so I'm looking to see if anyone else has done this.

Oil temp in an "idiot light" spot: I've seen BavRest and some youtube videos of this being done, but no info about it.

Anyone have any experience/advice?

EDIT 2021/09/09:

Now running a stock cluster w/ check panel light removed and 7 segment display desoldered from an Innovate LC-1 Gauge extended to sit in place of the check light. Fits well and works.

I also purchased a APSX G1 to try to use as it fits beautifully - BUT it does not work with any 0-5V controller, and I could not get it working with the information APSX provides, seems to need some sort of check string before serial starts, or the info they give is just very wrong.

Process to retrofit LC-1 into the cluster:

1. Desolder 7-segment display and clean up excess solder.

2. Solder extension wires on Either the 7-segment or the board.

3. Disassemble Cluster, remove check bulb, remove cluster guts from housing, remove the lens with "CHECK" printed on it and the white plastic holder.

3. Use a sharp knife/sandpaper/etc to remove the printed "CHECK" on the lens, spray it lightly with some tint.

4. Insert the 7-segment into the slot, trim the plastic holder until it holds the 7-seg in place. Might need to cut down the screw boss on the cluster housing to fit the 7-seg past, and may need to wrap the 7-seg with tape to locate it in the middle.

5. Once it fits, stick the extension wires through the old check bulb hole, through the holder, (Optional: drill a hole in the original wideband front cover and reinstall in the LC-1 gauge's housing.) Solder the other end of the extension wires.

6. Reinstall Lens, 7-segment, holder, cluster guts into the cluster housing.
    Voila, she done.

Last edited by Northern; 12-21-2022, 08:12 AM.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30
Working...
X