92 Opel Monza CLi 200i8v Exec
    92 Opel Rekord 380GSiV6
    87 BMW E30 335i (M30B35)
    91 BMW E34 520i (M50B20) with Mtech Turbines
    95 Hyundai Elantra with Mitsu 4G63
    Three Aircooled VW Beetles
    17.8Litres, 38cylinders, 10Cams and 84valves

Comment

Apologies for the long break! I had some other projects that had to get done, so this got put on the back burner for a while.

But no longer...

Bodywork Update

After spending an inordinate amount of time drying, the primer coat was finally there to stay. We lightly sanded it with 400-grit, wiped it down with acetone, then a tack rag.

Finally it's time to paint! The results so far?
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0582[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	7184748

Name:	IMAG0583[1].jpg
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	7184749

It was incredible! Applying the ceramic coating on the cylinder head was my first crack at using an HVLP gun, so I don't have much experience--but all I did was set the pressure to 30ish, open up the air knob, and start backing out the mix knob until I got a fine mist.

It was super easy, and it came out amazingly shiny--especially considering we didn't spend much time getting the surface perfectly smooth. It's very forgiving, and I never was able to get it to run or sag.

Also, that's one coat...I was thinking about skipping a second coat, but my brother convinced me it was worth it, at least from a sealing/rustproofing perspective.

Engine Update

After several attempts to get the correctly sized valve guides from Ireland, they finally came through, so the machine shop work can continue :D Oddly enough, they don't seem terribly concerned about me sending them back...weird
      Last edited by HappyPuppy; 04-19-2016, 02:35 PM.
      ...It's not road rage--it's simply preemptory defensive driving...:D

1989 BMW 325i Convertible "Desire" (M30 VNT Turbo Swap in Progress)
      1981 Porsche 924 S2 Turbo "Bast"
      1980 Porsche 924 S1 Turbo (20V Turbo AAN swap on back burner)
      1978 Dodge Tradesman B200 "Sasha"
      1966 Lincoln Continental "Gracie"

Comment

Definitely looking forward to seeing this through. Especially the garrett gt3782va. Planning on using this on a nvm50.

Comment

Fantastic Thread!!!
          My Garage
          2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
          1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
          1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
          Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Thank you everyone for the kind words!

The project got delayed once again--I had to put a rush job on completing this in time for the holidays:

Name:	IMAG0626[1].jpg
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	7182048
            It started out with me just updating my karaoke rig...then the drugs began to take hold For anyone interested in knowing more, follow the link:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/kFgWfU-IAfg

Anyways...

Bodywork Update

The body was safely returned to its jackstands--it was far more exciting than it probably should have been, involving a cherry picker, brake rotors used as balancing weights, and a very brave fiancé. Once on the ground, it got the bondo work finshed up, and several more coats of primer.

Name:	IMAG0671.jpg
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	7182049
            Sand, clean, paint, repeat for effect...and finally time for the fun part!

Name:	IMAG0683.jpg
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	7182050
            The boat paint went on great! Real easy to spray, no issues with runs or sags--even when my gun was messing up ;)

It gets the bonehead bodyman seal of approval!

Braking Update (Part 1)

Remember those two round chunks of aluminum?

Name:	IMAG0672.jpg
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	7182051

Name:	IMAG0673.jpg
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	7182052\
            After some time on the lathe, they have become much more part-like :D They are almost done, just have to get the bottom of the inside radiused a bit better, so it lays flat.

Comment

Braking Update (Part 2)

The parking brake has been a sticking point for some time, but I finally figured out a solution:

It fits the Hyundai Tucson, Sonata, Elantra, and Kia Sportage--and more importantly, is the right size for the inside of the Impulse rotors! It did require some modification though...

Name:	IMAG0670.jpg
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	7182053
              However, it came together beautifully after that

Name:	IMAG0666.jpg
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	7182054

Speaking of coming together, I made a template for the front brake bracket:

Name:	IMAG0669.jpg
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	7182055
              Then cut it out of another chunk of aluminum...

Name:	IMAG0684.jpg
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	7182056
              I need to make some 11mm tall spacers, TIG them on, and drill them for the caliper.

The rear brackets are pretty much done as well...

Name:	IMAG0685.jpg
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	7182057

Comment

I may not have been the first to say this but this thing is going to need a cage. Badass.
                Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Actually BearMW, I have been considering making some sort of removable cage for it--I figured if I tied the rear seat belt buckle mounts to the front seat belt retractor guide on top of the window sill, down to a few welded attachment points near the rear seat lower section clips, and over to the convertible top latches, I would have a pretty solid setup.

What do you think? Would that even have a chance of being track legal?

Braking Update

I measured as best I could, and took the plunge--the pilot holes for the front caliper are now drilled, and I bought some 6061 round stock to TIG on as spacers.

Name:	IMAG0691.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	7182095
                  As for the rear setup, it appears to be finished...now comes the plumbing and wiring ;)

Suspension Update

Speaking of taking plunges...

Name:	IMAG0689.jpg
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	7182096
                  I finally got up the nerve to cut off the strut tubes, and I have set everything up for welding the lower coilover tubes on:

Name:	IMAG0690.jpg
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	7182097
                  As for the rear, it's pretty much a bolt-in affair...so here's a shot of the rear assembly, detailing the poly bushings and swingarm adjusters:

Name:	IMAG0688.jpg
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	7182098

Driveline Update

My trip to Pull-A-Part yielded another surprise: a e23 Differential!

Name:	IMAG0692.jpg
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	7182099
                  These jokers all came with a 3.46 ratio and LSD, which will make 1st gear useful again, and give me a satisfactory cruising RPM. It's funny actually--almost all the driveline has been sourced from an E23 735i, minus the M30B35 head :p

Comment

Nice score on the diff! 3.46 may still be a little short for turbo m30 powwaaaa but you can always start in 2nd :)

Comment

I can't quite visualize the roll bar going the route you describe but that doesn't mean it won't work or at least help. I have no idea on track legality. I guess it depends on what track and what type of event?
                      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

BearMW: I have decided to put the rollcage idea on the back burner for now, but I will revisit it when I get closer to done.

CorvallisBMW: Anything beats sticking with that 4.11! Nothing like cruising on the freeway at 3500 or so

Interior Update

With the paintwork on the body finally finished, I could finally get some actual work done! I started with sound deadening panels:

Name:	IMAG0716[1].jpg
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	7184722

Name:	IMAG0717[1].jpg
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	7184723
                        Thank you Home Depot! FWIW, I did quite a bit of reading before deciding on the "Peel 'n Seal method". While it's true it adds some weight, and is nowhere near as effective as modern Dynamat, it's very similar to what our cars originally came with, and works well enough for my purposes :)

Next, the insulation--also courtesy of Home Depot (or Racer's Depot if you're trying to be cute):

Name:	IMAG0722[1].jpg
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	7184724

Name:	IMAG0721[1].jpg
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	7184725
                        That's a layer of duct insulation held down with aluminum tape--it's good for an R-6 rating as installed. It has aluminum foil on both side, and essentially heavy duty bubble wrap in between. The concept involved is similar to how Lizard Skins works.

After that came the electrical harnesses, a task so foul--so hellish, I did not save for posterity. A word to the wise: next time you see your harness and think "that cloth tape is in terrible shape...I should really rewrap my harness" walk up to your cat and rub his tummy for about 10 solid minutes. At least that will hurt less

Anyways, with that done it was time for carpeting. I took a tarp, made a redneck swimming pool, dunked the carpet in there, and sprinkled in OxyClean. I let it sit overnight, then got out there with a stiff nylon tire brush and scrubbed the crap out of it. When I pulled it out, the water was brown and chunky!

It had been growing algae, had grease and rust stains, and had brake parts laying in it for a year, but after all that, this was the result:

Name:	IMAG0723[1].jpg
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	7184726

Comment

Suspension Update

The rear subframe is finally in the car! Of course, that meant installing the fuel tank, brake/fuel lines, and filler hose/EVAP system--but that's not nearly as cool :D

Name:	IMAG0725[1].jpg
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	7184750

Name:	IMAG0726[1].jpg
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	7184751

I know there's not much love for the CX Racing coilover setup--but I consider it a valid starting point. If the springs are junk, they're easy to swap out...same goes for the dampers, though with more effort.

However, I am not happy with what they offer for front camber/caster adjustment, so I decided to find a way to make my old K-MACs work with them....

Name:	IMAG0727[1].jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	7184752

Name:	IMAG0728[1].jpg
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	7184753

More on this later ;)

Braking Update

The front caliper adapters came out perfectly!

Name:	IMAG0729[1].jpg
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	7184754

I've redrilled the new lug holes in my Sonata rotors, so the next time you see all this, it should be attached to the car :)

Comment

Interior Update

So, it just happened: one moment I'm staring at the ground points on the firewall, contemplating what to do--the next moment...

Name:	IMAG0730[1].jpg
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	7184989

It makes me happy to see the dashboard in, but I can't escape the gnawing fear that I've forgotten something, and it will all have to come apart again

Braking Update

Thank you for your kind donation, Mr. E23!

Name:	IMAG0733[1].jpg
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	7184990

I'm familar with how nice the hydro system is when on a 735i...I hope it feels the same on my car :p Looks like a few new high-pressure hoses, and I'm in business!

Suspension Update

Remember what I said about the front suspension?

Name:	IMAG0731[1].jpg
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	7184991

Name:	IMAG0732[1].jpg
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	7184992

Comment

Suspension Update
                              Thanks to those shiny new adapters, and my new lower control arms, it was time to bolt down the suspension and set the coilovers. I took out the springs, and adjusted the compressed damper height.

Name:	IMAG0736.jpg
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	7185332
                              At full compression, it is about a 1/2" from hitting the studs on the top of the wheelhouse.

I marked the length of the damper from the top of the damper to the bottom part (the part that's welded to the knuckle), and transferred it to the other side. After that, I adjusted the dampers in the rear to match the (uncompressed) height of the fronts.

Name:	IMAG0739.jpg
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	7185333
                              It's not exactly a lowrider, but it appears to be the most effective use of the damper travel. I figure it can adjust the ride height when I set the preload on the springs.

I do know that I have some fender rolling ahead of me...

Name:	IMAG0741.jpg
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	7185334
                              Not only that, but I'm going to have to add clearance to the front of the front wheelwells, to permit full steering travel :???:

Braking Update
                              I wanted to get the rest of the hydroboost system in place, and that meant fabbing up a bracket. The system looked like this when I pulled it out:

Name:	IMAG0734.jpg
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	7185336
                              So, I kept the dimensions roughly the same, and tucked it close against the strut tower.

Name:	IMAG0737.jpg
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	7185335
                              Spiffy :D I used a mixture of E30 and E23 hoses, but I did have to extend a few of them...the hydraulic hose shop is not cheap, but they do very nice work. More on that later ;)

Comment

Bodywork Update
                                With the suspension nearly done, I realized it was finally time to start getting everything else looking nice--not to mention getting a better idea how to fit everything inside the panels. Once again, the stripper comes out...

Name:	IMAG0750.jpg
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	7185337
                                If you think watching paint dry is boring, watching paint undry is somewhat more fascinating :) Still, since I had some time to kill, I figured I'd be productive...

Name:	IMAG0752.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	7185338
                                Weatherstripping, locks, and plastic panels? Check!

Engine Update
                                The body wasn't the only thing that got some attention...

Name:	IMAG0753.jpg
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	7185339
                                With bearings in tow, and my freshly arrived ARP main stud kit, I now have a moving part! :D

Name:	IMAG0756.jpg
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	7185340

Comment

Working...
                                X