Project Izzy: The AWD Money Pit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Izzy: The AWD Money Pit

Hey R3v, I decided to post another build thread since my first one sucked and I've grown up a bit since then. So to start off here is Izzy

Shes a 1988 325ix 5 Speed Coupe with about 215k miles on her

VIN Decoder:

So a quick story behind her, Back in 2012 my dad was involved in a unfortunate accident in my precious Z3, after that I had to find another car and for some reason the idea of an e30 popped into my head. My uncle's buddy was selling off a few of his cars and two of them happened to be e30s and one was a 5 speed 325ix. My dad and I drove up the next week and it turns out he sold the 325ix the day before. I checked out his second e30 but it was a silver 325i 4 door and was an autotragic I eventually found a suitable Z3 and my dream of owning a e30 was soon forgotten..... but 2 years later I got a text from my dad saying the 325ix we went to go look at was back up for sale again. I told him I'd take it and $1,250 later she was mine.

Pics of the "For Sale Ad"

Love at first sight:

Things that needs attention:
    • A/C
    • Rear Brake Rotors
    • Timing Belt
    • Clear Coat
    • Interior
    • Speedo/Tach
    • Body Work

Things I'm considering doing:
    • M52TU Swap
    • E46 xi Steering Rack Swap
    • Mtech 2 Kit
    • Cinnamon Interior
    • Refurbished Wheels
    • Respray
    • HIDs
    • 6 Speed

Now I know that some of it seems VERY difficult and honestly unrealistic, but these are the things that I have running through my mind right now. I'm pretty sure I've figured out the 24v swap and I'm getting ready to buy a e46 ix steering rack and start taking measurements. As for the 6 speed, thats a problem for future me. I've got some ideas, but I'd really like to find a parts car to do some mocks ups on first.

Also my family has a few more BMWs
    -2001 Z3 (My Driver)
    -1988 325ix (My DD)
    -1987 325is (Dad's DD)
    -2001 M3 (Moms (*Dad's excuse to get it))
    -2006 Z4 M Roadster (Dad's Driver)

Anyways onto the thread.....
    Last edited by stonea; 10-16-2014, 07:53 AM.
    My Garage
    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Once I finally got her home I took some more in depth pics:

And Here is a pic of my two girls together for the first time

She was covered in filth and the PO must have had a fetish for Pepsi because there was Pepsi bottles and stains all over it, not to mention the ants. I put on some gloves and got to work, scrubbing her down and throwing out almost everything in the car. Grabbed some carpet shampoo and worked it.

Not to long after I got Izzy my buddy decided he was jealous and picked up a 1990 325ix.

Last edited by stonea; 10-16-2014, 09:29 AM.
    My Garage
    Feedback

Comment

Well it was time to dive into getting some work done on her, this was the first time I actually have to "work" on a car so I was a little nervous at first. First thing on my list was to do the rear brakes. I picked up some rear rotors and pads, and also decided to do the ebrake shoes as well.

Then it was onto the timing belt. I wasn't looking forward to tackle this, but now I look back on this I find it funny. With the help from my dad and my uncle we eventually got it done.

Test Drive!!!!!

Also I learned the magical wonder that is a junkyard

Then on to the fun part, putting the car on the lift!!! I did a quick inspection and everything seemed to be in good shape, but I after a quick test drive I figured the calipers could use replacing.

I finished her just in time for school

Last edited by stonea; 10-15-2014, 04:06 PM.
      My Garage
      Feedback

Comment

3 hours later I was at school and Izzy was tucked away in the parking garage

A bit of a generation gap, but it was the only BMWs that parked next to each other

Shortly after my trip down to ODU, I drove up to Baltimore for the Baltimore Grand Prix. My locks were acting up, so I figured no one would mess with a 26 year old car if it was around some much nicer eye candy, lol.

Also ran into a slight problem on the way up there......

Once I got back to ODU I decided to plasti dip the bumpers, roof, and spray my tail lights.

.....oh and I got a roof rack......
        Last edited by stonea; 10-15-2014, 04:15 PM.
        My Garage
        Feedback

Comment

Next on my list of things to do was to replace the rusted exhaust so I could FINALLY get it inspected.

Then I finally got her that stupid sticker

Did some work by the beach, and also got my new radio installed

Also Izzy finally got to have some fun in the snow!!!!!

Shortly after that project another one of my friends got bit by the e30 bug and got a 318i

Last edited by stonea; 10-15-2014, 10:04 PM.
          My Garage
          Feedback

Comment

Sweet find and sweet build, keep us updated on it.
            sigpic

'88 325is-daily
            '89 325is-project
            '84 633csi-its there
            '00 528i-daily (wrecked)
            '01 525i- sold

Comment

Also earlier this year me and my buddy (the one who owns the 318i) bought a parts car. Meet Pepper

and in addition to the parts car I picked up a 3D printer

and I've been thinking about new wheels, I'm pretty sure I'm just going to refurbish the ones I got and paint the centers, but I do like these cheap rims I found.

My Garage
              Feedback

Comment

this is a much more cohesive version of your build, good work
                1988 325iX - sold but not forgotten
                1984 MTech1 323i

Comment

On the way back down to school after getting my exhaust installed my friend asked for a ride back to school and this was sitting next to her house.

Still trying to buy it from her neighbors, lol

Towards the end of the school, year I was having some brake trouble. I kept on loosing brake pressure and I eventually found a tiny leak by the front driver side. I ordered new brake hoses and replace the leaky one and that seemed to fix the problem for about a day, then all of a sudden I had no brake pressure. I checked under the car and found that one of my hard brake lines rusted through and busted wide open. It was part number 12 that busted open.

With that discovery that led to this unfortunate event.....

Then the next day (no joke) my cousins 525i broken down in Williamsburg, so me and my dad drove down to pick that one up too. That one ended up just to be COP

After I got Izzy home she just kind of sat there until we got my dads 325is off the lift. So in the mean time I started driving the Z3 again.

But the z3 had it own problems later on. One day on my way down to ODU this summer something fell out of the truck I was following and it tagged the Z3. Don't know what it was, but it definitely banged her up pretty good. Insurance said they'll cover it, but I still haven't found the time to take her to a shop. Also I might just go ahead and get a full respray done on her. I have a OEM body kit for her and still need to get it painted....

Once I finally got to Norfolk I set up my new room and thought you guys would like my banner.

My Garage
                  Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by IzzY_325is View Post
                    Sweet find and sweet build, keep us updated on it.
                    Thanks!!! I got a lot more to post before I'm all caught up, but I'm hopping to keep this updated as much as possible.

Originally posted by 6A LDY View Post
                    this is a much more cohesive version of your build, good work
                    Yeah, my last one sucked. I've actually spent time organizing this one and I know a thing or two about what I'm talking about this time around.
                    My Garage
                    Feedback

Comment

Nice thread

Giving me motivation to stop the excuses and start wrenching on my iX again! What's going on with your buddies' 90 ix? Kinda dig the color!

Your new room is looking good too. Love the flag, dig the desk.
                      clutchCTRL!
                      Move with a purpose.
                      - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                      - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                      - 2000 323i AT
                      2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Yeah can you post more pics of his ix, looks pretty snazzy.

Also hurry and post more
                        1988 325iX - sold but not forgotten
                        1984 MTech1 323i

Comment

I think the color is Daytona Violet, other than that I don't know much about the car. Most of the work was done before he bought the car. Don't have any more pics of it though. Next time I'm home I'm sure I'll do a photo shoot with both of our cars.

Also hopefully I'll get the motivation today to finish updating the thread.
                          My Garage
                          Feedback

Comment

Cool topic....That purple ix is also soo epic, any topic for that ix here??
                            https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
                            https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

Comment

Nice work! From what I read, you want to swap in a E46 steering rack. E46 steering racks (from what I've read and heard) is linear which I'm pretty sure makes it harder to swap in. I swapped in a E36 328is steering rack for $100 and it was totally worth it. Keep up the photos! Black 2dr 5speed IX's are so cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X