Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

get self-locking nuts at home depot?

Hey...

The self-locking nuts from BMW are made of brass (i think) and eliptical so that when you connect the driveshaft to the tranny or differential it makes a snug fit and hence locks. If I get some hardened steel bolts for Lowes or Home Depot that have the nylon on them, will they work just as good. Don't want to have to go to the Stealership just to order 10 bolts since I am going to home depot anyway.

Thanks
    Jared

good luck finding metric fasteners at home depot. I don't know about the one in your area, but the one here has a pitiful selection of hardware. I'd rather go to a local mom and pop store than Home Depot.

in any case, the nylock nuts should be just fine (if you can find them).
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The DS nuts aren't nylon lock nuts, they have a little "crimp" type shape to them so that they aren't 100% round. The screw on and slighty stretch.

Comment

I know...

Yeah, I have done this before. What I was saying was couldn't I just use nylon bolts, which some people seem to agree with me on. Hell, I could use the bolts over again and just put some nylon tape on the threads. Would work just as good. At least I don't have to go and buy new ones again 'tis all.

Thanks

Comment

Re: get self-locking nuts at home depot?

Originally posted by uflnuceng
          Hey...

The self-locking nuts from BMW are made of brass (i think) and eliptical so that when you connect the driveshaft to the tranny or differential it makes a snug fit and hence locks. Thanks
          Jared
          Yeah, they originally came with these brass self locking nuts, but when I went to the stealership to get some new ones, they gave me the steel ones with the nylon self locking bolts. So, don't be afraid to use those bolts.

Comment

Working...
          X