WTB: OEM m20 Catalytic Converter near NJ/PA/NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTB: OEM m20 Catalytic Converter near NJ/PA/NY

I need an OEM cat for an m20. I'm near Philadelphia in New Jersey, but willing to travel up to NYC.

I have one from a 90 325i. Send me a PM if you're interested
    PNP Adapter Harness Wiring for M52TU, M54, S54, M60, M62, M62TU, S62, M50, S50, M52, S52 & MORE

sigpic

Comment

I also have one from 90 325i, am in NYC so you can pickup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

After talking to my mechanic and thinking about this, I no longer need the OEM cat. I'm replacing the whole exhaust so a new cat seems like a better choice than a used OEM.

I'm going with this setup:
        Headers: Schmiedmann sport manifold
        Cat: MagnaFlow 94008 (this is the dual-pipe at both ends, "e36" version, but the pipe diameter is the same 2in)
        Muffler: Ireland Engineering Cat-back

Comment

You should put a Remus Sport cat back muffler on it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by E30darkknight View Post
            You should put a Remus Sport cat back muffler on it!!!

Too late, IE already arrived. Remus was a lot more expensive, I got the whole setup for less than the Remus muffler. Is it that big of a difference in sound?

Comment

Yeah, the Remus gives a more deeper tone

Comment

if you have not already ordered the cat I would strongly recommend a OEM piece either new or used over an aftermarket cat. OEM typically last 20+ years, where as aftermarket are lucky if they last 2.
                Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
                Bimmerbuddies LLC
                717-388-1256
                2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
                bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeE30 View Post
                  if you have not already ordered the cat I would strongly recommend a OEM piece either new or used over an aftermarket cat. OEM typically last 20+ years, where as aftermarket are lucky if they last 2.
                  I'm still torn, the magnaflow is already here but it's not bad to resell it...

On the one hand i need to fab up something to connect this "universal" cat to the headers and muffler, and like you said it probably won't last long, on the other hand i read that high flow cats do give about a 5hp boost over the stock cat, and I don't daily the e30 so a 2 year cat will last me plenty...

Comment

those headers will give you or your mechanic a hard time with an install
                    sigpic
                    New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
                    %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

not to mention that a cat is "high flow" cause it does less of what a cat is supposed to do. May as well consider a resonator (subject to state inspection requirements of course))
                      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                      Alice the Time Capsule
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

So I decided to stick with the magnaflow, and I got pipes that need to be welded to it in order to make it fit with the IE muffler and Schmiedmann headers. On both ends I'm just tightening clamps so there will be no welding there, I could change parts of the system at any time.

Originally posted by ZM Blue Devil View Post
                        those headers will give you or your mechanic a hard time with an install
                        Why is that? The headers slip onto a bare pipe and tighten up so there's nothing extra to do with headers. I also did a test fit and they clear the engine bay wall totally fine.

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                        not to mention that a cat is "high flow" cause it does less of what a cat is supposed to do. May as well consider a resonator (subject to state inspection requirements of course))
                        In New Jersey since May 2016 cars older than 1995 do not need *any* inspection at all. I could technically run straight pipes... but I don't want the sound to be way too loud. I'd rather run a new $80 cat than a used 20+ year old cat. I don't want to pollute too much either so at least a new cat will do something. It's not like this is my daily driver.

I do appreciate all of this input, the discussion definitely is welcome! I can't wait to hear how the car sounds and behaves after all is done.

Rundown of what I'm doing for anyone curious:
                        - 17lbs injectors (4-hole)
                        - sssquid chip for 17lbs injectors and 91 octane (along with the stock chip, will be interesting to test the difference)
                        - Exhaust: Schmiedmann headers + magnaflow cat + IE muffler/catback
                        - Suspension: Bilstein sports + H&R sport springs
                        - Bavauto strut bar
                        - Last but not least... swapping from auto to 5spd.
                        - Also got SS brake lines and DSSR kit because why not?

The car's been in the shop for 1 month now but it's been delayed not because of any of the stuff I actually want to do, but because of rust on the floorboards (read: holes in the floor) and brake lines being spaghetti. It's almost all welded up now and brake lines should be done tomorrow. After then the transmission is going in and I'm hoping on the weekend to finish the exhaust.

Comment

I'd be interested to know what dual in dual out cat yes u found for $80. I was quoted $140@ for 2x6" cats after being told not much else would fit. Keep in mind I was working with stock pipes so the options may have been limited.
                          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                          Alice the Time Capsule
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                            I'd be interested to know what dual in dual out cat yes u found for $80. I was quoted $140@ for 2x6" cats after being told not much else would fit. Keep in mind I was working with stock pipes so the options may have been limited.

It was $87 when I ordered it, free shipping. Looks like it's $90 now.

Note: the pipe diameters are different, the Magnaflow is actually for an e36 and has 2in pipes and our stock pipes are 1.75in so I got adapters to fit. I'll upload a pic once it's all welded up.

Comment

Working...
                            X