Why Medical Bills are Killing Us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Medical Bills are Killing Us

I'm listening to the author of this article on Diane Rhemes right now. Really good info on why medical bills in the US cost so much.

When we debate health care policy, we seem to jump right to the issue of who should pay the bills, blowing past what should be the first question: Why exactly are the bills so high?
    sigpic

Been reading this article a few pages every day and it's very well written and covers the cost drivers very thoroughly.

it should be enraging to the reader what some people are subjected to for medical care in this country

Comment

I would refer everyone to

Doug Stanhope - From Across the Street

He has a nice little bit in there about healthcare and America that is quite humourous and spot on.

(I can only assume this article discusses the pathetically poor life choices being responsible for our ailing health and skyrocketing costs.)
      Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
      Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

uh ohhh... consumer protection agency isn't doing its job

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
          (I can only assume this article discusses the pathetically poor life choices being responsible for our ailing health and skyrocketing costs.)
          Nope. Some of the material covered:

The laaaaaarge disparity of prices of treatment at hospitals based on those who do or don't have insurance or medicare
          Overuse of tests and how this plays into current malpractice laws
          Role of nonprofit vs for-profit hospitals, and the large number of unintended consequences that come from non-profit tax structures

its really worth a read, not focused on the political parties at all.

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
          uh ohhh... consumer protection agency isn't doing its job
          derp

Comment

Well I sure have some rants to spew about medical bills. As of now, I owe on the order of $10k in medical bills, which I can't afford of course.

My mini-rant for today:

Went to the dermatologist yesterday because I need to refill my two prescriptions. The actual appointment w/ the doctor took maybe 10 minutes, during which the doc immediately agreed to refill the two prescriptions. Copay was $50, each prescription was another $50, and I dread to see the bill when it comes back from insurance, I suppose it will be at least three digits. All for 10 minutes with a doc telling me he'll call in my prescriptions.

Also, when I had Medicaid/Medicare/whatever (now my income is too high and I was booted), these same prescrips were $1 each. Now, with "real" health insurance through the company I work for, BAM! Over $100 for both of them. Not to mentioned medicare covered 100% of the doctor's visit. This new (expensive) health ins (United Healthcare) covers 80% of doc visits.

Would I have more money in the end if I got a lower paying job and got back on medicaid? Sometimes I think I would...

WTF?

Comment

aaah free healthcare where i live :p

Comment

Originally posted by willy-guldager View Post
                Ideally, "free healthcare" sounds heavenly, kind of like "free food" or "free gas". But nothing is free I have learned.

That said, I would sure be happy if we paid fair prices for healthcare, much like we pay fair prices for other standard products like tires or spark plugs, not the hyper inflated prices that are called out in the linked article.

Comment

yeah, it ain't free, you've just paid for it before you get your check.
                  past:
                  1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                  1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                  1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                  1985 323i baur
                  current:
                  1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by willy-guldager View Post
                    its not free at all your paying though the nose for it, just not at the time of service to those providing the service
                    Originally posted by Fusion
                    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                    William Pitt-

Comment

Interesting article on the ten worst insurance companies. I am glad to find United Healthcare on the list... :(

AAJ delivers exceptional education, unparalleled advocacy, and a dedicated community of trial lawyers fighting for justice.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                        its not free at all your paying though the nose for it, just not at the time of service to those providing the service
                        The US is where people are paying out the nose for care, not denmark.

Comment

I dont think I pay out the nose for H/C I think given the circumstances paying a 100k or more is certainly preferable to, Oh I dont know DEATH.................. I pay those that provide me the service or those that pay the service provider, I dont pay the gas station for my H/C costs in advance of me needing it, nor do I pay a percentage of value on everything I use or consume to the govt to pay for my H/C either. besides its only money more can be made.
                          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                          William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                            I dont think I pay out the nose for H/C I think given the circumstances paying a 100k or more is certainly preferable to, Oh I dont know DEATH.................. I pay those that provide me the service or those that pay the service provider, I dont pay the gas station for my H/C costs in advance of me needing it, nor do I pay a percentage of value on everything I use or consume to the govt to pay for my H/C either. besides its only money more can be made.
                            As fascinating as your anecdotal accounts are, I was clearly speaking about our nation as a whole and how much we spend on healthcare, which is on the order of 20% of GDP right now and that continues to increase.

Comment

How is that anecdotal??? Its a well known fact that a large % of the VAT and 100-200% fuel taxation in free shit countries was levied to pay for the "free H/C systems"

We are paying for all the R&D of New treatments, technologies, pharmaceuticals, and cures out of that 20% as well as treating 330m people, while the Danes and all the other "free H/C" countries coast along on our investment and developments with out paying the R&D costs.

Huh if we were like the rest of the Free shit countries Medicine would be stuck at about 1970s era standards if not worse.

William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
                              X