• Show
Clear All

I just got screwed over big time.

So I ordered new CV shafts from Napa. I needed to do this because

1. My CV boots are shot
    2. There is a major clunking in the rear drivetrain with on/off throttle
    3. complete new CV shafts from Napa w/ my discount are $67 a piece
    and
    4. I need my CV boots NOT to be ripped when I bring my car to the stealership for the free pre-race inspection for BMWCCA driving school on the 22nd.

So here is what happened.

I waited three days for Napa to get the parts from East JaBlip, went to pick them up, and the boxes were TORN hard-core in multiple areas. Looked like the Napa standard shipping method was a giant catapult. I looked through the tears, and yep, the CV shafts were in there, so I paid for them and feverishly drove home, hoping these shafts would solve the clunking problem, and getting more and more excited about driving school.

Got home, tore open one of the boxes (so to speak) and the inner CV joint was COMPLETELY APART. That's right, grease everywhere, six steel balls rolling around the box, cap somewhere close by, bearing ring dangling from the toothed CV shaft. Checked the other box, sure 'nuff, the boxes should have said "some extremely messy assembly required".

So I was a little irked, but so desperate was I to get these shafts in my car that I pain-stakingly re-assembled the inner CV joint, and much grease and cursing was had, and installed it in my pile-o-bolts E30.

So here is where the anguish begins. I went to assemble the other CV shaft, and TWO BALL BEARINGS WERE MISSING!!! This one only had 4 balls, kind of like Chuck Norris! (the other one was a full-blown James Hetfield with six balls of hardened steel.) Wow was I mad at this point, The two balls must have simply fallen out of one of the many holes in the box during its stratospheric trajectory from the adjacent hemisphere.

So My brain started thinking (uh-oh) and I decided to tear apart one of my old CV shafts for some balls. (Ok, keep the snide remarks to yourself...) Got a handful of steel balls, (I told you once...) and THEY WERE TOO BIG by like 0.0000001 mm!!!! I even used a hammer, yes, a hammer to try to get the bearing together! But to no avail.

So the situation remains thus: Because of some knot-headed maneuver in shipping and receiving, two teeny steel balls got lost, and thus my car will be on jack stands, AGAIN, for the next week, and I may very possibly miss the ONLY BMWCCA driving school this year because of this.

All I can say is Napa BETTER overnight me another CV axle, assembled this time, and not charge me a dime.

/end tirade.

Man that sucks. My friend got his CV axles rebuilt for his eclipse from a shop in littleton, I forgot the exact name of the place, but they did an excellent job and I believe it was really quick too. I can get the name of the place tomorrow if you don't have any luck with napa.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
      Man that sucks. My friend got his CV axles rebuilt for his eclipse from a shop in littleton, I forgot the exact name of the place, but they did an excellent job and I believe it was really quick too. I can get the name of the place tomorrow if you don't have any luck with napa.
      yes please do. I am in a big hurry. I have three days to cancel my reservation on the track w/ BMWCCA.

Comment

You do know that your are going to chase the shit out of those threads with a dremel to get them to go into your hubs. Plus I imagine that you don't have new grease caps either. I learned this the hard way.

One of these days I will score a set of junk yard cv's and have them properly rebuilt. The BMW boot kit comes with the grease cap too.
        sigpic
        Gun control means using both hands
        Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagamus(NM) View Post
          You do know that your are going to chase the shit out of those threads with a dremel to get them to go into your hubs. Plus I imagine that you don't have new grease caps either. I learned this the hard way.

One of these days I will score a set of junk yard cv's and have them properly rebuilt. The BMW boot kit comes with the grease cap too.
          The one CV axle slid right into the hub perfectly with no effort at all. I just greased up the splines with brake caliper grease.

Comment

The place is CVJ Axles. Too bad they arent open on weekends :(

CVJ Axles remanufactured OEM cv axles, steering racks, MB air injection smog pumps, as well as racing and off-road parts.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Go to the junkyard and get some shafts just to use until you straighten out the whole mess
              Originally posted by audiquattrot
              bimmers b4 b*tches....remember that.
              1990 Alpinweiss 325i - secret 500whp build
              2000 Audi S4 B5 Laser Red
              1990 Nissan 240sx - Drift Missile
              2006 CBR600RR

Comment

dude call Northside Imports and you will have them right the first time...

Comment

Good luck Sam. Reminds me I need to call the hotel and get a room on Monday as well as call for the inspection.... Hope you get it all sorted out

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
                  Originally posted by DTM190
                  "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
                    The one CV axle slid right into the hub perfectly with no effort at all. I just greased up the splines with brake caliper grease.
                    You got lucky then. That was my experience, after doing some reading it seemed that most others who get the remanned units likethat experienced the same thing.

Good luck!
                    sigpic
                    Gun control means using both hands
                    Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

Update

So I called Napa first thing this morning, they are overnighting another CV shaft, and it should be here on Tuesday.

Comment

That sucks. I should prolly do my cv's soon, both my boots are torn up front. Is Napa charging you?

Comment

Ouch Sam. Hopefully you'll get it sorted out soon enough. You do know that there is a Napa around the corner from your new job that has some awesome employees and service right?
                          89 325i (Sold)
                          95 M3 (Track Car in Progress)
                          2001 4runner (DD)

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
                            That sucks. I should prolly do my cv's soon, both my boots are torn up front. Is Napa charging you?
                            $64 a piece, plus freight which is like $17.

Originally posted by clarkkey594 View Post
                            Ouch Sam. Hopefully you'll get it sorted out soon enough. You do know that there is a Napa around the corner from your new job that has some awesome employees and service right?
                            Yeah that's the Napa I am using. The service is great, its just that whoever shipped the CV axles sucks.

Comment

There gonna charge you after they beat them up like that? Thats not very good business imo.

Comment

Working...
                              X