No announcement yet.

E28 24v swap (M50/S50/M52/S52)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the front subframe different in the 528e? The way in thinking is that if the e28 came with an m20, then the m50 should be able to mount directly up using mounts from another car? E34?

Jon

sigpic

Comment

this has been done by some dirty e28 locals, id search mye28 for the specifics.

if done properly it should be pretty awesome and quite a nice upgrade for the archaic e28
      OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Would be really nice! I am planning, still in the early stages, an engine swap. An s52 in the e24 would be really nice. Time to start readin like a mad man on mye28, and try to find a motor ad all the good stuff.

It sounds to me that the folks that are doin theis swap in their e30's have it down pat! Why is it that much more difficult for en e28? I'm guessing mounts are the big issue here. I don't like the flat bar mounts used in a post over on mye28. Does not look safe at all. I'm sure a set of oem mounts will work since they are used in the e30. I will also guess that the trans mount will need to be fabricated as well since it has to be modded on the e30.

Jon

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1craze30 View Post
          Would be really nice! I am planning, still in the early stages, an engine swap. An s52 in the e24 would be really nice. Time to start readin like a mad man on mye28, and try to find a motor ad all the good stuff.

It sounds to me that the folks that are doin theis swap in their e30's have it down pat! Why is it that much more difficult for en e28? I'm guessing mounts are the big issue here. I don't like the flat bar mounts used in a post over on mye28. Does not look safe at all. I'm sure a set of oem mounts will work since they are used in the e30. I will also guess that the trans mount will need to be fabricated as well since it has to be modded on the e30.

Jon
          if swapping E24 to something other than standard a S38 would be much much easier as its also a BIG six.

s52 and m20 are SMALL sixes; Nothing is compatible between the 2 standards.

If you search e28 there should be bolt on mounts to allow the M50 DOHC small six family engines to bolt right in.

G260 transmission and ZF transmissions (dohc) will interchange the transmission mount; a e28 with original M20 engine and G260 mount will bolt in a M50 and ZF transmission natively with original or ZF transmission mounts.

E28 M5 mounts are commonly used in e30's with DOHC M50 engine swaps;
          E28 will fit a DOHC M50 family engine with more clearance than an E30; a e28 is designed by BMW to take a big 6.

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

I thought about an S38, but I'm not hot on the maint. cost. Plus, I love good mpg. The m30 is by no means a mpg king, but an m54b30 will blow its doors with more hp, tq, and mpg. Yeah, they are a little costly for maintenance, but my friend who owns an e46 330i says that he is very pleased at the ENGINE maintenance of the car. He is also the original owner, so no mystery with po's.

The sound is what I would use the s38 for. That's all.

Jon

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1craze30 View Post
              I thought about an S38, but I'm not hot on the maint. cost. Plus, I love good mpg. The m30 is by no means a mpg king, but an m54b30 will blow its doors with more hp, tq, and mpg. Yeah, they are a little costly for maintenance, but my friend who owns an e46 330i says that he is very pleased at the ENGINE maintenance of the car. He is also the original owner, so no mystery with po's.

The sound is what I would use the s38 for. That's all.

Jon
              a s52 is both less money to maintain, more reliable and more RWHP than a M54b30; everything is more aggressive also.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                a s52 is both less money to maintain, more reliable and more RWHP than a M54b30; everything is more aggressive also.
                I'd definitely do an S52 over an M54B30. Hands down.

I googled a bit and didn't come up with premade bolt on swap mounts for an M50 into an e28. But I definitely could be missing it. If I wind up doing one of these swaps (first step, buy an e28... I'm leaning toward another e36 though, cheaper, more economical, cheaper to maintain, etc) I will be fabbing my own mount arms to use e28 M5 mount bushings and stock M50 e36 mount arms. Pretty huge IF at this point, an e36 will be a better purchase without a doubt, but its not a classic 5'er! I wish there were e28 wagons!
                :wgaf:

PNW BMW Crew ///
                '93 325iS
                '99 528iT

Comment

So did anything ever come of this? I've been thinking about an S52 swap and would like some more info before I dive in and commit.

________________________1988 528e Rally-xmobile___________________
                  2014 WDCR Rally-X MR Season Champion, 2014 NE Div. Challenge MR Winner

Comment

I am most likely going to be doing an m52b28 in mine in the coming months... basically you just have to fabricate your own motor mounts, and like the e30 adjust oilpan.

Comment

A friend of mine might be doing this soon.
                      My dad has a 528e that needs work as well as E34 oil pan.

My understanding from researching E30 swaps is that the M50 will bolt right in with M20 mount arms, bolt to M20 transmission (G265 in this case) and use M20 flywheel.

With the M50 at the M20 angle...
                      Is hood clearance a problem?
                      Is brake booster clearance a problem?

The bottom of the E34 pan wouldn't be level... I've heard of a few E30 swaps at M20 angle and haven't heard of the pan being a problem.

How do E34 mount arms compare to E28 mount arms?

Comment

There is a build thread within this link

Last edited by PeteD; 06-04-2014, 06:01 AM.

Comment

"Not Found."
                          REMEMBER: Be safe and have fun is Rule Number 1.

The Epic Unbuild of Clint Eastwood

Comment

Thanks for checking on that, I placed a different link in the post. From there you can navigate to the build thread.

Comment

Sounds like m20 mount arms and that e36 gearbox and maybe an e34 driveshaft? Not sure if they share same dimensions, but I imagine its similar. Ideally you coul get an e34 nonvanos parts car and just swap the entire drive train over.

But I am just brainstorming.

Comment

Are the E34 and E28 mounts in the same location on the crossmember? IE, will an E34 powertrain just bolt into an E28?

Comment

Working...
                                X