Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1991 318is, Brilliantrot, Major project car...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nimble
    You mean the black crud? Otherwise, the paint is original as are all the panels. That's almost a bad thing, because the paint is a bit rough in some places. :(
    Yeah, way below where it's supposed to be black, there are clear signs of overspray almost all around.
    '96 328is
    '97 m3
    '04 zhp

Comment

Originally posted by Mless5 View Post
      Yeah, way below where it's supposed to be black, there are clear signs of overspray almost all around.
      All cars have the body color underneath the black, then the black painted over it. So when the black fades/wears away, you see the body color. It's not a respray.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

I think in an effort to remove all the black youre gonna wish you had just sprayed the black back on.
        HDE30 <3

Comment

Do you think I should just get some of that black rubberzied undercoating? Or is it feasible to get all of it off to show the red paint underneath?
          Yeah, you would be surprised at how good some fresh undercoating looks. It'd be hard to remove all the old stuff and then have that paint underneath look good.

RISING EDGE

Comment

BTW, my 95 M3 was Avus.....I LOVE that color:!:
            this was my first choics for a respray. and I am with tj. Fresh undercoating looks sexy.
            HDE30 <3

Comment

holy shit.
              173rd ABN

Comment

Haha, is that good or bad? ;)
                good. clean car. youre doing it right. i might have to hit bimmerzone up for some parts shortly. need a LOT of stuff for this new project i picked up.
                173rd ABN

Comment

Cool. Hope your project goes well. The sheer amount of work to get these old, mistreated E30's back to life is staggering! I'm logged at 50+ hours so far having owned the car less than 2 weeks.
                  ive owned the 325i 1 day and have spent about 3 hours on it... and nothing has even gotten fixed or better yet. most of that time has been finding everything wrong with it.

next i have to fix those things, install the roll bar, install my seats, steering wheel, control arms, tie rods, 3.73ls, harnesses, suspension (billy sports and ie stg 3 and front camber plates). then i get to finally clean the fucker up and get it decent looking. probably going to rip all of the carpet out completely and buy some black carpet for it and dye the headliner black.
                  173rd ABN

Comment

Too much. Shouldn't have done it right underneath the bumper, but should've done it where the 'rough' undercoating was.

Comment

I only went up an extra 2" or so from the stock line. I only sprayed where the paint was texturized anyways. I think it will look good.
                      take the time to spray brillianrot back, leave the black near the bottom, it looks much better

Comment

Originally posted by E30trash View Post
                        take the time to spray brillianrot back, leave the black near the bottom, it looks much better

In your opinion....

Too late anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Nimble View Post
                          In your opinion....

Too late anyways.
                          I take it back. really depends on what look you are going for

Comment

Man, you went overboard masking! I used 3/4" masking tape and only stacked it 5 strips high!

RISING EDGE

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                              Man, you went overboard masking! I used 3/4" masking tape and only stacked it 5 strips high!
                              Yeah, nothing oversprays that much! At least you're careful.

This is a great thread, I love seeing work like this done. It's awesome getting boxloads of new parts, installing everything, getting the car cleaned up, and making it look good. I love doing this kind of work on my car, it looks like you do too.

Comment

I need to find the same car as this just white with the same amount of work needed to turn into a dd. Looks fun as hell and you have done a great job. Get some pictures up of a lower stance so we can see the undercoat job.
                                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-h...wE3UqwjjmaTrXg

Comment

Working...
                                X