Not Much of a "Ride" but It Was Still My E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not Much of a "Ride" but It Was Still My E30

Most of you have probably seen my part out thread in the classifieds. I'm going to post some pictures here and tell what happened.
    My uncle has been BMW and Mercedes mechanic for the past 30+ years, and he's owned several E30s. I'm 17, and I was planning on buying a car so he offered to sell me his 325is. I drove it from Louisiana to Florida in November of 2016. It was in great condition for what it was, very little rust, pretty clean interior, it even had working air conditioning. I dailied it for a little over a month and it was easily my favorite car I've driven.
    On New Year's Eve, I was driving (on a road with a 60mph speed limit) with a few of my friends when a truck made a left turn from the other side of the road across our lane with almost no space between us. I didn't want to run into the side of a truck that was easily 3 times our size, so I tried to swerve around. I went in front of the truck, that's how close he was. Unfortunately, the car went off the road into the dirt, where it spun around because I was still going at least 50mph. Then it hit a ditch. The front wheel dug into the dirt and the car rolled over.
    All of the passengers had seat belts on, and we all got out without anything worse than scratches. The car however didn't survive. The driver who forced me off the road also didn't stick around, so not only was my car destroyed, I didn't get anything from insurance. The police determined it was a hit and run and the paramedics said that I did what I had to, and it would have been worse had I T-boned him.
    Being a broke teenager, like most of r3v, I don't have money to drop on another E30 or likely any time soon, but it was great while it lasted. Maybe some time in the distant future.
    Sorry for the long whiny post, here are some pictures of before and after.

The good news is that Bavarian Rennsport, a local BMW shop has let me not only store the car there, they've been helping me work on it and part it out. This isn't an advertisement, I just want to say thanks to them.
    1988 325is - Totaled, Hit and Run
    1994 530iT - Rusty, Not Running, Gone
    1989 325i - Clean Body, Barely Runs

Jeez, glad to hear you guys all made it out alright.
    The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
    Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
    2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Glad you're OK. Stuff like this makes me consider a dash cam.
      sigpic
      Originally posted by JinormusJ
      Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
      1989 325is Raged on then sold.
      1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
      1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
      1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

Yup, I think I'd be looking at a dash cam. Good to hear you all made it out apparently without injury. Looking at the car, that's pretty impressive.

Truck driver can eat a bullet. You've gotta be a real piece of shit to not only cause an accident like that in the first place, but to also run after seeing (he must have seen what happened) a car roll over, knowing it was his fault.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll definitely be investing in a dashcam for whatever ends up coming next.

I still kick myself for not getting his license. I was naive and thought he was just going to pull around into the parking lot, but he never came back.
          1988 325is - Totaled, Hit and Run
          1994 530iT - Rusty, Not Running, Gone
          1989 325i - Clean Body, Barely Runs

Comment

Working...
          X