86 325 es 2jz build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

86 325 es 2jz build

So today I finally started a project that I have been collecting parts for since July. First swap, though I have had the opportunity to do a ton of work on other cars. Also, most of what unbolts from the car is for sale. I am only keeping what I need for the swap and keep it on the street.

First the car. I bought if off a guy who was in the middle of a rebuild, but unfortunately had to get rid of it as he no longer had the room (he was moving). And as the price was right, and I have an issue with heavily modifying a clean car, I came home with what my my parents and friends affectionally call the rolling wreck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	7246608

Name:	Back.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	7246610

Name:	interior.jpg
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	7246612

Name:	engine.jpg
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	7246614

Name:	head.jpg
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	7246616

The plan for this car is to have a single turbo 2jz mated to a cd009 (350 z transmission). I have motor mounts made by freed engineering and a trans mount meant for the 2jz 5 speed trans which i will probably use as a template for the mount I need to make. I got the car with all the necessary stuff for the 5 lung swap (e36 m3 front, 318 rear), except for shocks. I will be attempting to make fenders to fit some fat tires. I have an e46 steering rack ready to be installed. I went with the e46 as from what ive read, the e36 rack can be twitchy at speed.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sumolbandit; 02-07-2016, 11:58 AM. Reason: sp
    89 325i - s62 swap, 5 lug

03 e46 m3 manual - Karbonius csl airbox and snorkel, ttfs csl map sensor rail, csl headers, euro cats, ss x-pipe, scza muffler, JRZ RS1, turner power pulleys, turner sways, autosolutions ssk, and advan rsIIs

So today we took the engine out. Was a little cold since we were standing outside with the crane. Took us two tries, as we hit the top of the garage doors right before it cleared the first time. So we unbolted the transmission and tried again which thankfully worked.

Name:	crane.jpg
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	7181856

Name:	engine_on_crane.jpg
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	7181858
    Bonus shot of my m3

Name:	engine_on_crane_2.jpg
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	7181860
    Engine has seen better days.

Name:	enginebay.jpg
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	7181862

We used ratcheting ties to support the transmission and keep it from twisting of the jacks under it.
    Attached Files

03 e46 m3 manual - Karbonius csl airbox and snorkel, ttfs csl map sensor rail, csl headers, euro cats, ss x-pipe, scza muffler, JRZ RS1, turner power pulleys, turner sways, autosolutions ssk, and advan rsIIs

Comment

I'm looking forward to following this thread! I just picked up a CD008 (for nearly free) and waiting for the 2JZ to be shipped. Which adapater are you using for the 350Z transmission to the 2JZ? I still haven't ordered that as I'm between the Collins and Maverick--equally priced and both have a strong following; however, the Maverick doesn't require milling down the bell housing.

Comment

Why are you using the 350z transmission against an r154 or ar5?

Looking forward to progress of a dream project.
        Our RestoMod Diary!

El Mustache De La Resistance!

Comment

Jestible, I am actually waiting on the preorder from the suprastore. They are making one the uses the r154 bell housing. I have spoke in depth with them about it and figured as I am using them for the engine that it makes sense to use them for the adapter too. They are also making it compatible w their clutch kits. Also seeing their works as it sits now, it looks really nice ( and basically ready to ship).

Freedomm3- the 350z trans is good for over 1000 hp and costs around 2k new. Also has similar gearing to the v160. Its a cheaper alternative for a 6 speed over the 8k getrag. Personally, I want a 6 speed as this car will see the street pretty often and i live right off of two major highways and a 5 speed would get on my nerves in the long run ( from experience).

Comment

Originally posted by sumolbandit View Post
            Jestible, I am actually waiting on the preorder from the suprastore. They are making one the uses the r154 bell housing. I have spoke in depth with them about it and figured as I am using them for the engine that it makes sense to use them for the adapter too. They are also making it compatible w their clutch kits. Also seeing their works as it sits now, it looks really nice ( and basically ready to ship).
            Nice. Does that mean you have to purchase a r154 bell housing? I'd LOVE to find a kit that uses the factory Toyota automatic transmission housing (A341E?). Most of the inexpensive 2JZ dropouts I see are paired with autos (mine is) and would be extremely clever to make use of a housing already attached. Crap, I might have to be the idiot to do it..

Freedomm3- the 350z trans is good for over 1000 hp and costs around 2k new. Also has similar gearing to the v160. Its a cheaper alternative for a 6 speed over the 8k getrag. Personally, I want a 6 speed as this car will see the street pretty often and i live right off of two major highways and a 5 speed would get on my nerves in the long run ( from experience).
            Hell yeah. The CD005/8 (pre-'06 350z/g35) is quite a bit weaker than the 09 (found in '06+ 350/370z I believe) but are extremely inexpensive used. I purchased mine from a friend for less than $500. You can purchase gently used CD0009 for $700-900. Fraction of the price of the V160, and still cheaper than a R154.

Comment

Originally posted by Jestible View Post
              Nice. Does that mean you have to purchase a r154 bell housing? I'd LOVE to find a kit that uses the factory Toyota automatic transmission housing (A341E?). Most of the inexpensive 2JZ dropouts I see are paired with autos (mine is) and would be extremely clever to make use of a housing already attached. Crap, I might have to be the idiot to do it..

Yea i have bought the housing which they sell. The original plan for them was to use the auto housing since they are a dime a dozen but had issues w it being to short for twin disk etc ( from my understanding).

Also on a side note, u will probably need a rear sump kit for ur 2jz to get it to fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Also on a side note, u will probably need a rear sump kit for ur 2jz to get it to fit.
                Really? Most of the ones I've seen are front sump.

Comment

Hmm well clearly i didnt look that closely. Good to know. Dude i talked to ( supra store again) said that some people who have used them for this swap did the rear sump. Might depend on where the engine ends up with mounts etc but this is a staggering amount of evidence to the contrary.

Comment

Hmm well clearly i didnt look that closely. Good to know. Dude i talked to ( supra store again) said that some people who have used them for this swap did the rear sump. Might depend on where the engine ends up with mounts etc but this is a staggering amount of evidence to the contrary.
                    Not a problem! Did you order a motor with rear sump? I don't believe the oil pan swap is expensive, likely $200-300 range.

Also, what are your plans for brake booster and master cylinder? I am really curious as to how these guy handled it, I wanna do the same: http://cyriousgarageworks.com/respec...-e30-2jz-swap/

That.. and well.. wiring. Haha. That's going to be fun to tackle.

Comment

I was planning on the same/ go to a junk yard and find one that will fit haha. I have also seen a build that used a hks intake manifold that seems to be running a stock booster. Not sure if it fits or it was moved but im going to try that possibly. I am swapping to a 5 lug and getting a cage before i do the engine work. Plus i need to finish making a wiring harness diagram and make that before. I want to be able drop it in and have it run within a week or two, so whenever that is all done.

Comment

You already have the e36 m3 front, 318 rear, right? I thought I saw your post on a different setup in the for sale section earlier, too.

I'm dreading the wiring harness. I have still yet to find a good resource for it, have you had any luck finding information or are you doing it fresh?

Comment

I am currently looking over a harness diagram for a 2jz non turbo. Cant find a lot of the 2jz gte specifically, but it cant be terribly different. Also i have a full list of all the toyota connectors ( specifically the supras) so i might try it from scratch, since i have wiring from a generator install too. You can get a custom one online but its like $700

Comment

But yea the guy i bought the car from had the set up already but not installed. Trying to find an mz3 rear atm for bigger brakes. Then im probably gonna buy ground control coil overs for it. Should be sweet.

Comment

My dream build. One day. In for the updates, please dont let this thread die out
                              Originally posted by dvck
                              I'm going to say this nicely; go fuck yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X