Is it possible to replace....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to replace....

Parts 10-16 WITHOUT dropping the damn tranny? Can't seem to figure it out to save my life. But, the bushings (10,11?) between the selector rod and the other piece (16) are worn out, causing WAY too much play. I just can't figure out how I can get the metal band (13) off/out of the way, and then push the locking pin (15) out to pull it all off.

Thoughts?

PS - what the heck is #14? Does it affect the play at all?

NO guarantees....try disconnecting the motor mounts and jack up the motor to get a closer look at it. The driveshaft might affect the angle of tilt. I would suggest to monitor your rad hoses, afm wires etc with caution if you go this route.

I went thru a similar issue when doing clutch work a while back but this was a while ago and I don't remember if we had disconnected the driveshaft yet or not.

G.Luck

Comment

I guess it is possible, but would be major pain in the ass. Dropping the tranny is none too hard anyways.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Yes you can definitely change all that without dropping the trans .
        But you will have to drp the ft of the d-shaft to get to it all .

Oh and #14 is a little piece of felt that does affect [play of the knuckle .
        My little trick is I always load the knuckle with with 2-3 little wave washers and it makes it tight as hell .
        Which is a good thing .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

14 is a little piece of foam that generally doesnt last long. Sometimes I look for a rubber O ring that fits in there, like off a fuel injector, makes it a little tighter and lasts longer.
          Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

So don't bother getting a #14...just get some of the washers and throw them in there.

Maybe I'll just man up and drop the tranny...just more work than I wanted to put into the beeeetah :)

Comment

Originally posted by Teaguer
              And how pray tell would you do that without dropping the transmission?

I'd rather undo 2 bolts on the gearbox mounts than have to mess with the DS flexdisc bolts and heat sheilds and all that other shit.

James

Comment

Originally posted by arsevader

I'd rather undo 2 bolts on the gearbox mounts than have to mess with the DS flexdisc bolts and heat sheilds and all that other shit.

James
                Yeah, but removing those two bolts still doesn't give you enough room to work in there. If anything I'd try to keep the dshaft attached and just drop the tranny. Is that possible? Never separated a tranny/motor - always swapped everything together.

Comment

Originally posted by arsevader

WTF do you mean ?
                  You think you CAN'T drop the d-shaft unless you drop the trans ??!!

Just undo the bolts at the guibo and drop the CSB down and then the d-shaft is loose from the trans .
                  The rear will still be attached to the diff input flange .
                  I've done it about ...oh about a dozen or so times .

Even if you just lower the trans the damned d-shaft and guibo is right in the way of messing with that stuff .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

WTF do you mean ?

Just undo the bolts at the guibo and drop the CSB down and then the d-shaft is loose from the trans .

Even if you just lower the trans the damned d-shaft and guibo is right in the way of messing with that stuff .
                    I can't get dshafts out without dropping the tranny mount bracket, but after that it's hard work but it comes out.

I guess if I drop the tranny mount bracket, remove the front end of the dshaft, and remove the shift console, maybe that would give me enough room to get them. I guess the question is at that point, wouldnt it be easier to just drop the tranny with the dshaft still attached? :) There's what, 15 bolts or so holding the tranny to the motor?

Drain, unbolt, drop, fug with the shift linkage, bolt up, fill?

Comment

WTF do you mean ?
                      I think we are getting our terminology mixed up. By 'dropping' the gearbox I'm refering to lowering the rear of the box by removing the bolts on the mounts not actually removing the transmission.

In order to drop the CSB, you need to a) move or remove the exhaust and b) remove the heat sheilds covering the bearing. c) Then remove the 6 locking bolts on the guibo d) then support the DS while you are working.

I was just making the observation that this is a lot of work just to replace a few small parts in the shifter. If you are going to go through all that trouble you may as well replace the seals on the gearbox and the guibo etc.

You can still lower the rear of the gearbox enough without disconnecting the DS. This gives you enough room to replace those items. Granted it's tight but still easier than going through all the steps that you are suggesting.

Not really that bad, I've done it a number of times. Even with the dreaded Harmonic Balancer it can be done.

James

Comment

Originally posted by Beemerfanatik
                        WTF do you mean ?

I can't get dshafts out without dropping the tranny mount bracket, but after that it's hard work but it comes out.

I guess if I drop the tranny mount bracket, remove the front end of the dshaft, and remove the shift console, maybe that would give me enough room to get them. I guess the question is at that point, wouldnt it be easier to just drop the tranny with the dshaft still attached? :) There's what, 15 bolts or so holding the tranny to the motor?

Drain, unbolt, drop, fug with the shift linkage, bolt up, fill?
                        There are only like 7 bolts from the tranny to the block.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
                          That's not bad. Can I drop it without detaching the dshaft?

Comment

Originally posted by Beemerfanatik
                            Originally posted by Digitalwave
                            That's not bad. Can I drop it without detaching the dshaft?
                            Nope.....well I guess you could, but if you are going to go through all the hassle of disconnecting it at the differential end, moving the exhaust out of the way, removing the heatsheilds, detaching the centre bearing and shortening the driveshaft then you may as well disconnect it from the gearbox too.

It would be pretty unweildly to drop the gearbox with the shaft still attached.

James

Comment

Working...
                            X