1988 325 engine build options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by illmaticD View Post
    I would also like to add that you can definitely go with a hotter cam, for example a Schrick or Bimmerheads cam. They'll get you closer to the power you are looking for. But they put stress on the OEM rocker arms. You might snap several rocker arms. And if you buy used 325i valve springs, they might not be strong enough to close at the appropriate time for the hotter cam, again resulting in valve float.

To remedy this, you have to get Heavy Duty rocker arms and heavy duty valve springs. Bimmerheads makes both. (And they have affordable reground camshafts!)

The price of a new cam, plus HD rockers and springs easily adds almost $1k to your build. This puts your total cost in "engine swap territory"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I thought engine swaps cost well over 1k. In fact, wouldnt 1k barely be enough for an engine alone?

Comment

Originally posted by threadediron View Post
      I thought engine swaps cost well over 1k. In fact, wouldnt 1k barely be enough for an engine alone?

I apologize for not including it, but I meant $1k for those parts, plus the total from the list I created previously in the thread. It puts your total at around $2400-2500, which puts you in the range where you should start considering an M5x swap. The cost isn't worth the benefit for someone with the same goals as the OP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      1988 Turbo 327i
      2007 Z4 M Coupe
      2008 Harley Nightster​

@s0uth.paw

https://martiniworks.com/builds/1988-bmw-325/

Comment

The good guys at Bimmerheads does not make the HD rockers, they are sourced from IE.

Many, including myself, would say a fresh M20 is much better than a crusty unknown M50/52 (swapped in by someone with limited experience).

Whichever way you choose, if you are adding power it takes decent money to do it right. Hence my initial recommended list.
        ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
          The good guys at Bimmerheads does not make the HD rockers, they are sourced from IE.

Many, including myself, would say a fresh M20 is much better than a crusty unknown M50/52 (swapped in by someone with limited experience).

Whichever way you choose, if you are adding power it takes decent money to do it right. Hence my initial recommended list.
          This was your original list, correct?

-MAF conversion (miller/m30)
          -Chip (miller, dysilva, squid)
          -Cam (IE, BH, Schrick)
          -Headers (IE)

Every company Ive come across that sells these, either makes an eta version, or the standard 325i version, but I dont know which one to get because my seta motor is a mix of parts from both engines.

Comment

Originally posted by threadediron View Post
            This was your original list, correct?

-MAF conversion (miller/m30)
            -Chip (miller, dysilva, squid)
            -Cam (IE, BH, Schrick)
            -Headers (IE)

Every company Ive come across that sells these, either makes an eta version, or the standard 325i version, but I dont know which one to get because my seta motor is a mix of parts from both engines.
            .. get all for the "I" version if youre doing the 2.7 stroker, I have an issue with spending too much money on so little horsepower gains, I would leave the Miller, headers and "real chip" for later if you want to stay stock still do:
            *the "I"intake,
            *chip (ebay?)
            *M50 fuel injectors..

this will give you noticeable gains... however youre still below the 160hp+ and maybe more that is possible with a real "I head" with cams and springs..

Comment

Having been on the other end of the line dozens of times as a young college kid gets into a tight spot following "internet horsepower gains" with junkyard parts, I have a real issue with "ghetto" tuning and the potential issues that arise for someone whose already got too much on his plate.

As the OP said in the very first post, he wanted to do it properly. The parts I lay out are a safe and effective way to improve the driving experience.

OP, in regards to your frusterations. Shoot the shops I mentioned an email! They are not unreachable entities, and they certainly aren't in the business to get rich.
              ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by e30strokr View Post
                .. get all for the "I" version if youre doing the 2.7 stroker, I have an issue with spending too much money on so little horsepower gains, I would leave the Miller, headers and "real chip" for later if you want to stay stock still do:
                *the "I"intake,
                *chip (ebay?)
                *M50 fuel injectors..

this will give you noticeable gains... however youre still below the 160hp+ and maybe more that is possible with a real "I head" with cams and springs..
                none of that stuff is doing to do squat. Specifically the injectors. Ebay chip? who knows what you're getting.

I agree with SkiFree. Either do it properly or leave it alone. You'll end up throwing away whatever you didn't do correctly the first time anyway.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  none of that stuff is doing to do squat. Specifically the injectors. Ebay chip? who knows what you're getting.

I agree with SkiFree. Either do it properly or leave it alone. You'll end up throwing away whatever you didn't do correctly the first time anyway.

I felt a significant difference in these mods.... not everyone can spend the amount of money that some are mentioning here so its an alternative way of going about it....

if you got the money spend it.. I don't so I give my suggestions... maybe he can get the intake brand new, the M50 injectors brand new, $250 chip or even the head for $1000.... I did all this with about $300 and got the 2.7 stroker going... and I was happy .. now Im on my 2nd 2.7i and doing the same... :hitler:

Comment

Working...
                  X