Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porsche Grey 24v 318is

Car as of Sept. 2016:

I started this project a few years ago in 2012 with a 325i I picked up in Los Angeles, but never started a build thread. But, e30abe89 keeps telling me I should make one… so here it is.

I did a lot of suspension work, new tan interior, and bought the s50 you see above. Unfortunately one night after getting off work I was hit by some lady in a costco parking lot:???:

Yes the car was fixable, but being a college student at the time I thought it would be easier/cheaper to find a car with a decent body to paint and swap. I kept the car for parts, collected around 50% of what the insurance valued it at, and went on my way. So I picked up this 318is with a shitty primer job, but a perfect candidate for what I was after

Shitty honda seats with ugly grey interior

But it had a working m42 and I drove it home from Sacramento to Fresno
    Last edited by mistacarder; 08-31-2016, 11:04 PM.

Instagram: @mistacarder

I got the car summer of 2015, and I was leaving the country for a few months that summer. Since I wouldn't be around I decided it would be a perfect time to drop the car off for paint. 3 days before I left I stripped the car to prep it for my paint guy

Comment

Of course all summer I was ordering parts online, and thinking about my car… Then I came home to this:)

Comment

Now onto the good stuff…
        Unfortunately way back when I bought the motor it ended up being bad (but thats another story) so it needed to get rebuilt, and it did.

The motor came with a bunch of ac schnitzer stuff like carbon engine cover, m3 sway bars, acs shift knob, and acs short shifter. I sold it all to help pay for the rebuild and kept the shifter (sorry no pics).

The motor needed at least one piston, so I bought a new set of CP pistons

And of course the crank was messed up to, so I talked to Achilles Motorsports here in Fresno and they hooked my up with a nice used crank for a VERY reasonable price that I got polished. They also helped me find gaskets chain guides and other necessities. I highly recommend their oil pump upgraded shaft too.

Added ARP hardware to the mix with head studs and rod bolts…

Also picked up some ebay headers, which I ended up selling before using, but they looked awesome. I added the newer bmw short head studs. I had the head inspected and cleaned. I powder coated my oilpan, valve cover, pulleys, and oil canister black and the results were this:

Comment

Thanks to r3v I have bought and sold several sets of wheels, Starform, Gotti's, BBs Rm, and many more, however I never actually mounted any of them because they just didn't feel right… I wanted the perfect wheel for my build. I stumbled upon these RS on ebay and decided I NEEDED to build my own

They would be perfect to match my tan interior, and would make the deep grey POP. I spoke with e30abe89 who helped me figure out the specs I would want. It took about a year, but after saving up and waiting on custom work I ended up with these:devil:

I had the barrels and faces powder coated locally in Fresno. I spoke with three major wheel people to try and find the best prices for hardware. VRwheels in SoCal had the best prices by far. I had new lips and bolts shipped to my door. I also sent my faces to them for a redrill. I bought the bbs logos on ebay and the conical caps on here.
          [/URL]
          [/URL]

I torqued them and sealed them in my living room, then had them wrapped in fresh S Drives. 3 of the wheels were perfect, one leaked:hitler: I unmounted the tire and resealed it which solved the problem.
          [/URL]

Comment

After getting the car back from paint I installed my suspension. KW's, new drilled rotors all around, new ss brake lines, treehouse CAB's, rev shift adapter, and new bushings all around. Also IE race/sreet camber plates and rear urethane top mounts.

I got my harness redone by Kadunza, and it is FLAWLESS! Thanks man!!

Motor install day finally came after years of dreaming:D

Last edited by mistacarder; 01-25-2016, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Love the color of both the car and the wheels. It should look really good when it's finished.

Comment

Awesome. Subscribed.
                How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Nice thread. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Very cool!

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Fricken sweet!! I am really loving that color!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                        Love the color of both the car and the wheels. It should look really good when it's finished.
                        Thanks! I'm so close I can taste it!

Comment

I traded an LSD to good friend of mine for this bolt in rollbar

Then got it powder coated black

Installed it which took way longer the expected but it fit.
                          I also painted my rear deck and added the tight fitting rear seats.
                          If anyone ever installs a roll bar I suggest putting in rear panels first… i'm a dumbass and didn't

The bolts that were behind the seat looked old and shitty. My grandfather suggested I use clevis pins instead. So I picked some up:)

Comment

when I tried installing my new wheels and I ran into two problems…
                            first the nuts wouldn't fit…

Then I got the right size nuts, and the front wheels would not clear the calipers…

after getting 5mm spacers they finally bolted up

Comment

this thing is going to be drop dead gorgeous when all put back together! i wanted to do this exact same build almost!! i was thinking about grigio telesto with turbo m5x however

Comment

Working...
                              X