I may have a lock on a new E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may have a lock on a new E30

Most of you know that I wrecked my bronzit 325i (used to be e) about 3 months ago. Well here's some good news. The girl I bought it from has a sister that lives in New York, and she has an '89 bronzit 325i that she is going to sell. 89 is the exact year I want also, since it has the plastic bumpers but the non-airbag wheel. She is going to talk to her sister about the specs, miles, and whatever else. It has never needed a major repair in the 4 years she has owned it, and she is only the second owner. Best part of all is that I would be buying from someone whom I've already done business with. Not only that, but she probably won't be selling it until the spring, which is how long I would need to save the money. Does anyone know the best way to have a car shipped cross-country? Can a freight company just bring it over on a truck?

Transporting a car over a long distance can vary greatly in price. There are several options out there for you to choose from.

If you were to contract with an enclosed transporter like Inner-City Van Lines (probably the best there is) you would pay through the nose. These guys use state-of-the-art trailers with hydraulic lift gates and secure cars down by using strong nylon straps around your tires to keep your car in place. They even have on-line tracking so you can monitor your cars' progress as it makes its way to you. Collectors of priceless autos use these guys cause they are the best. Period. Unfortunately, this level of service comes at a hefty cost.

The next alternative is to have a less pricy auto transport service bring it over for you. There are lots of services that ultilize open/exposed trailers (much like the ones you see hauling new cars to a dealership in). Its definately more cost effective, but your car is subjected to the elements and the steeping loading ramps could run the risk of some scraping. Also, the means which some use to lash the car down to the trailer (a chain/cable around your suspension components to hold it in place....thus risking damage) isn't the greatest, but it works nonetheless.

Last option: buy yourself a one-way ticket to the east coast, pick up the car and drive it home. Nothing like a good road trip to serve as a "shake down" run. Bring along a good friend or significant other so it doesn't get boring.

Jon
    Rides...
    1991 325i - sold :(
    2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Originally posted by Jon325i
      Last option: buy yourself a one-way ticket to the east coast, pick up the car and drive it home. Nothing like a good road trip to serve as a "shake down" run. Bring along a good friend or significant other so it doesn't get boring.

Jon
      Should I end up buying it, I was acutally considering this.

Comment

Dibs on being the ride along guy.

I mean who better to have with you if it breaks down?

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
        https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

There's a nice 325 for cheap money being advertised at Roadfly. It's in Mendon, NY. I was going to pick it up but wanted an iS not a super Eta. I think if I remember correctly he wants cheap cash for decent car but needs seats as his are shot.

On buying a car not I bought a new 91 325i Touring today to replace my M-technik I.
          I paid 1200 euro for a nice car with klima (AC) and electric windows. Plus he is going to buy it back off of me when we leave in a year, for 800 euros so I get a one year rental for 400. Talk about a steal.
          I'll snap some pics tomorrow.
          https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan

Once again, part of my plan should it turn out that way. Don't worry Jordan, there's already an engraved invitation. :D

Comment

Congratulations, finding the exact E30 you want is pretty rare.
              5 speed I presume?

Comment

Originally posted by Kenyon
                Congratulations, finding the exact E30 you want is pretty rare.
                5 speed I presume?
                But of course.

This deal is still being formulated, there's a good chance that it might not happen. New York is a DAMN long way from Oregon.

Comment

Yes, but if everything works out, a drive across country would be a great way to get a feel for your car.

Comment

Driving it back would be a blast!

Spencer

Comment

I hope it comes through for you. Good luck with the deal.
                      Just livin in the OC minus my E30

Comment

The E30 North American Tour

You could try your own CannonBall Run.

I left NYC on a Saturday at 8am and arrived in San Francisco, CA at 11pm on Sunday. Top that one!!

My second best is Charleston, SC to San Diego. Left Charleston on a Wednesday at 6pm and arrived in San Diego on Friday at 5am. A friend of mine flew with the airlines. He left Charleston on Thursday morning and arrived Thursday evening. I called him Friday morning to see if he needed a ride to work that day. He was :shock:

I'll never do any trips like those again. I was younger back then and safety was much less of an issue. Hallucinations, for me, start at around the 30 hour mark. Since I've never been a user, I assume it is like being on acid, but knowing what is going on during the strange mental episode. What is strange is that you really aren't very tired once you get done (for a few hours anyway).
                        Don't forget the good things Hitler did.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan

Hehe, having Jordan on a DIY cannonball run is better than having MacGuyver

Comment

Working...
                          X