Is the A/T Shifter Adjustable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the A/T Shifter Adjustable?

I recently had a tranny job done and for some reason when they put it back, the shifter didn't seem to be in the right place. Its a few degrees off and it doesn't fall into the usual gear slots i.e. P, R, N, D, 3, 2, 1. At neutral, the reverse lights go on as if in reverse. At reverse, the lights turn off. When putting it into park, you need to push the shifter all the way to the front abruptly for it to "bite."

I would like to know if there's any way to make adjustments to it so I could correct the situation. I also lost OD because of that.

Would appreciate your assistance.

Thanks!

how invovled was the tranny job? was it just under the car too or did they mess with the center console area where the shifter is?

If the center console was tampered with, then it is likely that they just re-positioned the the shifter diagram plate incorrectly. You can usually adjust that plate up and down because it is held on by two screws from top to bottom.

Comment

Sounds to me like the cable is out of adjustment at the tranny. Easy to do; underneath the car on the drivers side of the tranny is the shift lever, you'll see how the cable goes through it.

I believe all the way forward is park, but don't quote me on that. You'll see how it works. Anyway, you loosen up the pinch bolt for the cable, make sure the shifter (inside the car) is in a known position, say park, put the lever on the side of the transmission in the park position that you figured out earlier, then retighten the pinch bolt to lock the cable down. That should do it.

Then again, you can just bring it back to the shop that did the tranny job and they should do it for free in a matter of minutes. Why bother rolling around under the car getting your hands dirty if you don't have to?

Edit: if you do decide to play around with it, just make sure the parking brake is set, wheels are chocked, or it's securely on jack stands so the car doesn't roll over you if you take it out of park while you're down below.
      Last edited by kway; 11-20-2013, 12:11 PM.
      '84 318i - Lapisblau/Schwarz (in cryosleep)
      '06 330i - Titansilber/Schwarz

Comment

Originally posted by kway View Post
        bring it back to the shop they'll do it for free
        This. I'm assuming you had a tranny replaced and for as much money as you probably spent I wouldn't have left the parking lot with the gear selector like that.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
          how invovled was the tranny job? was it just under the car too or did they mess with the center console area where the shifter is?

If the center console was tampered with, then it is likely that they just re-positioned the the shifter diagram plate incorrectly. You can usually adjust that plate up and down because it is held on by two screws from top to bottom.
          They didn't touch the console so that's what puzzles me. It should have been 'plug and play,' right?

Comment

Originally posted by kway View Post
            Sounds to me like the cable is out of adjustment at the tranny. Easy to do; underneath the car on the drivers side of the tranny is the shift lever, you'll see how the cable goes through it.

I believe all the way forward is park, but don't quote me on that. You'll see how it works. Anyway, you loosen up the pinch bolt for the cable, make sure the shifter (inside the car) is in a known position, say park, put the lever on the side of the transmission in the park position that you figured out earlier, then retighten the pinch bolt to lock the cable down. That should do it.

Then again, you can just bring it back to the shop that did the tranny job and they should do it for free in a matter of minutes. Why bother rolling around under the car getting your hands dirty if you don't have to?

Edit: if you do decide to play around with it, just make sure the parking brake is set, wheels are chocked, or it's securely on jack stands so the car doesn't roll over you if you take it out of park while you're down below.
            Sorry, my mistake as I wasn't clear enough. Its a 4HP22 EH. No cables except for wiring that goes at the left side of the tranny.

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
              This. I'm assuming you had a tranny replaced and for as much money as you probably spent I wouldn't have left the parking lot with the gear selector like that.
              The guy went back and 'serviced' it at home 2x, but it didn't change a thing. He didn't touch the console though. That's why now, I'm consulting the forum. I think that there can be some adjustment that can be done but I'm not sure.

Comment

i had the same problem on mine, my brother did adjust it, from where i do not know. so I'm not really being helpful...lol
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
                ---------------------------------
                89 E30 S52
                ---------------------------------
                Transaction Feedback.

Comment

EH or not, there is a mechanical connection between the shifter inside the car and the selector lever on the side of the transmission, and an adjustment for same.

Maybe it's your problem, maybe it isn't, but it should be considered a possibility.
                  '84 318i - Lapisblau/Schwarz (in cryosleep)
                  '06 330i - Titansilber/Schwarz

Comment

Late post, but here it goes.

We fixed it by putting the shifter all the way to 1 (as opposed to P), and tightening the shifter linkage from there. There was no need to adjust anything in the gearshift area.

Comment

I have the same issue, where is the shift linkage adjusted from? outside of the car at the bottom of the tranny or inside the car? thanks.
                      Transaction Feedback
                      Various E30 Parts for Sale!
                      Z3 Steering Racks for Sale!

Current Fleet:
                      -1987 Delphin Grey 325iS
                      -1989 Bronzit Beige 325iS

Comment

FOUND THE ANSWER! HERE IS HOW TO CORRECTLY READJUST IT. THE LINKAGE/CABLE IS LOCATED AT THE TRANSMISSION, BOTTOM DRIVERSIDE OF THE CAR

IF YOUR TRANSMISSION HAS A SHIFT LINKAGE ROD, HERE ARE THE DIRECTIONS

1 Disconnect the shift rod from the shifter lever

2 Place the shifter into neutral and the tranmission lever into neutral.

3 Press the shifter forward against the neutral gate lockout and adjust the shifter rod to fit into the shifter lever.

4 Shorten the shift rod effective length by screwing in the shift rod pin 1-2 turns. Attach the pin to the lever.

IF YOUR TRANSMISSION HAS A SHIFT LINKAGE CABLE

1 Place the gear selector lever in the P position.

2 From under the vehicle, hold the bolt on the end of the transmission mounted shift lever with tool 24 5 210 or equivalent to prevent the cable from being damaged. Loosen the bolt.

3 Push the transmission mounted shift lever forward while pushing the cable rearwards.

4 Torque the shift lever bolt to 7-9 ft. lbs. (10-12 Nm).
                        Last edited by ScottSneed; 07-09-2015, 06:01 PM.
                        Transaction Feedback
                        Various E30 Parts for Sale!
                        Z3 Steering Racks for Sale!

Current Fleet:
                        -1987 Delphin Grey 325iS
                        -1989 Bronzit Beige 325iS

Comment

Working...
                        X