Bay Area E30S52: No More Slush Box + More Horsepower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bay Area E30S52: No More Slush Box + More Horsepower

It is not the first time I've owned an E30. I had an 84 318i that I had someone install a turbocharger. Kept the badge and kick some Honda Civic's ass when the light turned green. Unfortunately, a move forced me to sell that car and I sold it to a friend of mine who restores cars and does car shows. So that's where it ended up in... a winner.

Fast forward 2010, I finally got myself to get another E30, this time an 89 325i. The car is Alpine White. The body, interior and exterior is in great shape. No major dents, actually, I didn't even notice a single ding on it. Unfortunately, the engine is no good. So off to my journey, in search of the right engine. I contemplated on sticking with the M20 or swapping M50. I spoke to someone about doing the swap completely for 5K and I was not going to spend that amount of money on this car. I don't think I want to go through the project of swapping it out because its just too much work for me.

Thanks to E30is90, I got a new dash top to install over the existing dash to cover the crack. He also gave me a good price on the trunk spoiler.

The speedometer does not work so I was forever in search of that, that was close to my mileage which was 176K.

Let's cut to the chase, January 12, 2011. I found an engine on craigslist. It's whole 1987 325i part out with 63,290 miles on it. I got the VIN and verified through carfax. BINGO! Jackpot!. GOOD THINGS COME TO ALL THOSE WHO WAIT!!! I went to Sonoma and paid her a deposit and the final payment comes when she gets the tree-hugging car towed to my shop. Easy transaction. It was meant to be.

I came home and UPS had left a note for the delivery of my front lip spoiler. Everything is coming together I am so excited.

More updates soon.

Last edited by bernzpeed; 12-06-2013, 10:22 AM. Reason: Updates
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
    ---------------------------------
    89 E30 S52
    Transaction Feedback.

I cant see the pic, your excitement is jumping off the page though! Pretty cool, all the best!

Comment

The links attached to the posting will lead you there. Youtube and cardomain.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
      89 E30 S52
      Transaction Feedback.

Comment

so you will be putting an early model m20 in a late model?
        Originally posted by blunt
        can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

Well an '87 325i M20B25 is the same motor as what is in his. Motronic 1.3 and all...

1984 Hennarot 325e - 1990 Brillantrot M3 - 1938 Buick Special Business Coupe

Comment

ah, i thought it switched in 88
            Originally posted by blunt
            can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

'87 was the first year of the updated drivetrain. Although some early '87 production etas still had the Motronic 1.1 DME. '88 was the first year of the updated body.

1984 Hennarot 325e - 1990 Brillantrot M3 - 1938 Buick Special Business Coupe

Comment

Finally, after 4 months, my car fired up and passed smog. As i get ready to get her home, AC decides to give out. I noticed that the power steering was not working either. But oh, she sits so low I am loving her now. All she needs are new shoes.

Engine swapped.
                Suspensions swapped.
                AC fixed
                Power steeringDONE
                Starter whines upon start (but maybe because it has been sitting for awhile)
                OBC retrofit kit, shows "UHR" I love it. DONE
                Bought tan sport seats for $75 and I've having them redone in black since I got them so cheap.

Next in line, new shoes, DONE
                black interior swap. DONE
                Install IS Lip, and find the splitter that matches it. I already painted it black. DONE
                IS Side skirt install DONE (Click to see how to install)
                Remove tint.
                Install stereo. DONE
                Replace speakers. DONE
                Swap lock cylinders so all keys matched, DONE
                keyless entry installed.
                Swap map light rear view mirrors, thanks to my Silver Bullet donor car. DONE
                Install HIDs on ellipsoid and fog lamps. DONE
                Fog lamps replacement or just the lens. DONE
                Get all red tail lights.
                Carbon fiber hood
                Whole car respray
                Die carpet black DONE
                Oil pan gasket replacement (Desperately need to do this soon.)
                Black valve cover and replace gasket DONE
                Black intake manifold w/ 17lbs injectors DONE
                Oil filter housing o-ring replacement DONE
                Power steering pump replacement DONE
                Smoked smileys w/ HIDs and LED city lights DONE
                LED interior lightsDONE
                Dual trunk lights w/ LEDs DONE
                Suspension and trailing arm bushings replacement.
                Massive brakes upgrade
                Chip and 17# injectors DONE
                M30 MAF Pending, waiting for adapter and cold air intake
                Dashboard replacementDONE
                Replace windshield with brand spanking new one.
                Brake wear sensor replacementDONE
                ABS relay replacementDONE

and maybe finally, S5X swap with 5 speed conversion and massive brakes. ON GOING AS OF 4/07/2013

Update:
                Car is up running on S52 but still missing a catalytic c0nverter.
                Looking for 3.73 LSD
                Last edited by bernzpeed; 04-21-2014, 02:01 PM.
                89 E30 S52
                Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Silver, for sure.
                  1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                  You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

I've arranged for a group buy for the XXR 521 16x8 in silver 4x100.
                    89 E30 S52
                    Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Great video. I watched all 14 mins of it. I'm going to watch it again as soon as I forward it to all my friends. I love the snapshots of a stock car. And it was set to really great music too.

Comment

When I got my car back from the shop after an engine transplant and installing the new suspension.

Photo soon.

Original miles of the engine.

Last edited by bernzpeed; 04-18-2012, 11:25 AM.
                        89 E30 S52
                        Transaction Feedback.

Comment

More things that needed my attention.

Last edited by bernzpeed; 04-18-2012, 11:28 AM.
                          89 E30 S52
                          Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Things I Like Black

New Clips for the New IS Lip, wish I painted the valance first.

How do you clean the lens completely, I mean remove the pitting?

Looking good already. Black and White is really working for me.

Finally installed. Replaced my ellipsoid with my spare that had shiny chrome rings.

Here's how she sits now.

Last edited by bernzpeed; 05-03-2012, 11:27 PM.
                            89 E30 S52
                            Transaction Feedback.

Comment

That video was 13minutes of pictures with crappy(emo) music.... Car looks decent though

Max

Comment

Working...
                              X