z3 1.9 shifter install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

z3 1.9 shifter install

Hey guys, i just bought a z3 1.9 short shifter from Garagistic, as wells as new delrin shifter bushings, cup, and clip. I've never installed any of these before and am looking from any information or advice from people who have done any of these. Anything will help. Thanks in advance
    sigpic
    91' 318is Brilliantrot
    Yes, it still has an m42

- Remove the exhaust
    - Remove the heat shields
    - Unbolt the center support bearing
    - Unbolt the transmission mounts
    - If you're nimble, you can now get at everything and replace it.
    - If you're not, you're going to have to remove more things.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

I upgrading those same components. It sure is easy with the driveline fully removed!

Here is what you are working with:

Cleaned up:

As Kershaw laid out what will be your plan of attack I will add what I can. There is a tricky clip on the transmission side (the silver piece, top picture, top left). A radiator hose pick from Harbor Freight Tools is to help. There is a thread here about that clip and its removal along with a fantastic animated GIF to show you what you won't see from below (search for "bitch clip" I believe).

The new shifter cup is rotated and pushed out. You will see the cup has two recesses, a good place for screwdriver heads to be placed and help pinch in tabs. Being the old one, you can also be bit aggressive and smash it out. Your new one slides in like butter.

I am keeping the stock shifter. They marry easily together.

The derlin bushing for the rear, it requires you to trim down the mushroom head (). Don't go too aggressive. Just trim it down and press the bushing on.

At the other end, the old will likely slide right out without much effort.. they are worn and tired. The new ones will be a good tight fit. Of course clean up stuff as you go.. rid it of grit and grime so the new parts can do their best.

Garagistic has basic install instructions. Search for their kit and you should come across their tutorial. It is practically hidden.
      ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Awesome thanks a lot, this helps so much
        sigpic
        91' 318is Brilliantrot
        Yes, it still has an m42

Comment

Working...
        X