OMG!!! Blew head gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMG!!! Blew head gasket

This has got to be one of the dumbest mistakes I've made to date. Okay so I swapped in a M30b34 along with all the goodies and it turned out a success yahda, yahda, yahda. A week later it's off to my buddies pole barn to shoot some paint. Wait another two weeks or so to let paint cure and go pick up car. Put car back together but forget to reconnect the electric fan!!!!!!!!!! I drive almost an hour making my way back home before I realize that I was over heating!!!! Pulled over to the side of road to see all my antifreeze spraying and steam everywhere. I let the engine cool for a while hoping and praying damage wasn't major. Looked around engine to see what had failed on a newly installed and gone through engine. To my surprise I was not hearing the fan. Immediately I knew the drastic mistake that was made. I end up getting towed home to realize at the least the head gasket was blown because of hesitation starting and the milky oil. I'm sure the head will have to be resurfaced because of possibly warping.

As far as the gauge warning me that the car was over heating, I was never able to figure out the one to two wire conversion. I planed on installing an after market gauge. Way to late for that. Lesson learned. I thought at my age that these dumb arse mistakes were a thing of the pass. I guess not:(

Link to car.

Ouch, that car was coming along so well too.

Hopefully the head isn't too badly damaged.
    Originally posted by LJ851
    I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Have the head pressure tested and skimmed.

Hope you don't get a cracked block like mine got when I overheated it time and time again because I hadn't hooked the fan up...
      ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

If you were driving at a constant speed and not driving the absolute crap out of the car it should not overheat!
        There would be enough airflow thru the rad that the electric would never kick on at cruising speed. The only time the fan should be on is if the car has idled for a length of time, track day, or if the A/c is turned on. You may simply of had a damaged headgasket from the start and the drive home took it out.

Comment

I agree. I don't have a mechanical fan, and my a/c fan is only on (half speed) when I am in traffic after I push the button. My temp never goes over 1/2 mark w/o the fan on while I am moving.
          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by qbuilt View Post
            If you were driving at a constant speed and not driving the absolute crap out of the car it should not overheat!
            There would be enough airflow thru the rad that the electric would never kick on at cruising speed. The only time the fan should be on is if the car has idled for a length of time, track day, or if the A/c is turned on. You may simply of had a damaged headgasket from the start and the drive home took it out.
            Hopefully you are right but I was anxious to experience the power and did some hard driving. I will know very soon. I'm waiting on a gasket set and my mechanic to be free. If any one has or know of a b34 head please forward me the info.

Comment

check mye28 for a b34 head. They pop up all the time over there. Pretty cheap too.

Comment

Working...
              X