Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to know which main bearing and rod bearings to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to know which main bearing and rod bearings to buy?

Im using an m52b28 crank in my m20 block with stock b27 rods. so im just wondering should i just buy standard size bearings or get .25mm oversize? or how could i measure it to know before hand? first time building an engine so kinda paranoid to get it right.
    Last edited by kickinindian; 03-28-2014, 03:49 AM.

Measure the crank journals (to a tenth) and use the clearance table in the Bentley or TIS to pick the bearings.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

If you're paranoid on getting it right and a first timer I'm sure you're getting the crank and rods checked out by a machine shop. They'll tell you if the crank needs to be ground undersized and if your rods need to be rebushed.
      ADAMS Autosport

Comment

So torque the journal caps to spec and measure the gap? Same with rods? Without the old bearings

Comment

You measure the rod and main journals on the crank. You'll need a micrometer that reads to .0000 or better. Make sure you make at least a couple measurements on each journal to make sure they are round. You still might want to take it to someone to have the journals polished.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X