New owner, BMW 325iX Touring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I got everything welded.

I started with finishing welding the new section of the firewall and grinding is smooth.
    Then I made the square for the factory jacking point, got the measurements from my uncles E30.
    This got plug welded to the firewall piece and inner A post/sill. Then it was time to fit the floor piece. I had to bend and form is some more so there wasn't any gap between it and the square jacking point. Nothing some beating with a hammer can't solve :p

Still have to grind the welds down and give it a good coat of epoxy primer and undercoating.

Last edited by D.Martijn; 07-06-2017, 10:02 AM.
    1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Got the drivers side floor covered in epoxy primer.
      I first removed the surface rust with a wire wheel on my drill and then sprayed 2 coats of Brunox on the bare metal to convert any remaining rustpits. I also did this for the inner wheel well on the front.

Front drivers side floor

Back

Inner wheel well

Underside of the repair, I made sure the epoxy primer went in all crevices

While the primer was drying I started with removing the sound deadening on the passenger floor. Overall not to bad. There are some pretty bad rustspots on the floor just above the cat. And the repair of the previous owner of course..!

Also removed the fender so I could have a better look. I'm pretty sure this one got replaced at some time since there wasn't any cosmoline on the left side where it meets the door and on the front the panel is a little bit bend but I'm sure I can get it straight again with some hammer and dolly work.

I now also got all my replacement parts, new heater valve, heater core, some foam seals for the heater box and some hardware that was missing.

Comparison of the old and new heater core valve. On the old one there is a gap between the coil and the tube, no wonder when the seal inside breaks coolant streams out!
      Last edited by D.Martijn; 07-06-2017, 10:06 AM.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

great metal forming and welding work, great pics. need to get heater valve and core replaced on both my remaining E30s... just a ticking bomb really
        I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
        TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
        e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
          great metal forming and welding work, great pics. need to get heater valve and core replaced on both my remaining E30s... just a ticking bomb really
          Thank you! I love working with metal. Although at some times it can get frustrating when you have to remake a panel..

I wouldn't wait too long with replacing the valve and core certainly when you carpet isn't all soggy yet. Just an awful job to get it out in one piece.. I'll be glad when this job is done and I can drive it again! :)

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Incredible rust repair. My coupe could use your skills! I could never do this myself. Very afraid to get a body shop estimate

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
            (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Originally posted by 15Michaeljoseph View Post
              Incredible rust repair. My coupe could use your skills! I could never do this myself. Very afraid to get a body shop estimate

Thank you! I appreciate it. Yes, it does take quite a while to get every panel to fit. I would also be afraid to go to a body shop for an estimate.

Does yours have a lot of rust?

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Today I got the front section done of the passenger floor. Being the second time I had to do this it went a lot faster than the drivers side. Also the patch was a lot smaller.

I first welded in the floor piece and then the firewall.

After this was done, I clamped the little square piece to both panels and welded it on. Finishing with a new patch panel for the A pillar.

I might go ahead an remove a smal section of the outer sill since the previous owner welded a plate in the inner sill? Wouldn't want rust forming in between there!
                Last edited by D.Martijn; 07-06-2017, 10:20 AM.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

That is a beautiful automobile. I've always loved the look of the touring and that color is just outstanding

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
                    Thank you! I appreciate it. Yes, it does take quite a while to get every panel to fit. I would also be afraid to go to a body shop for an estimate.

Does yours have a lot of rust?
                    For a car that has spent the last 30 years as a daily driver in salt country... It's in remarkable shape. I've got the same "cab corner square" rust as you did, but a couple other spots here and there. Decent amount near the mounting bolt for the passenger side transmission mount, and a bit in the rear passenger wheel well, where that fuel overflow hose goes.

(OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Originally posted by Alpinweiss II View Post
                      That is a beautiful automobile. I've always loved the look of the touring and that color is just outstanding
                      Thank you, I too love the look of tourings (old and new). The Lazur blau is awesome. In bright sunlight it slightly looks purple at an angle. :D

For a car that has spent the last 30 years as a daily driver in salt country... It's in remarkable shape. I've got the same "cab corner square" rust as you did, but a couple other spots here and there. Decent amount near the mounting bolt for the passenger side transmission mount, and a bit in the rear passenger wheel well, where that fuel overflow hose goes.

Yes same here, Germany (where the car came from originally until I imported it into Belgium) isn't much better. I also have some rust on the underside that I want to tackle (just above the cat), and some places where the stonechip has chipped away a little.
                      Also the right rear wheel well where I have rust. Still not sure how easy it'll be to fix that spot but when I do, there'll be plenty of pictures ;)
                      Beter tackle it all now since the whole interior is still out...

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Haven't done a lot today. Only a few little patches on the passenger floor

When looking underneath the car, you could see some rust lurking between the flange of the chassis rail and floor.

And another patch. This is where the stud that holds the head shielding against the chassis is located. Rust forms between the shielding and the undercoating...

Got started on cutting out another piece also at the flange of the chassis rail.
                        I'll probably finish this tomorrow. I probably will have to remove the cat so I could get to the underside of the patches.. Not looking forward to that as it seems to be a b**** to get the nuts off..?
                        Last edited by D.Martijn; 07-06-2017, 10:21 AM.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Today I finished welding on the floor. I had to weld a little piece on the chassis rail and 2 other pieces towards the transmission tunnel.

After grinding the welds smooth and going over the spots with surface rust with a wire wheel, I sprayed everything with brunox.
                          Last edited by D.Martijn; 07-06-2017, 10:22 AM.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

these pics make me happy lol.
                            save that touring!
                            I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                            TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                            e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Incredible. PLEASE work on my car! I'd rather pay you the thousands vs. some janky body shop!

(OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Incredible. PLEASE work on my car! I'd rather pay you the thousands vs. some janky body shop!

I basically need to cut the entire rear end off my iX, not looking forward to hearing cost from the bodyshop...
                                Build Thread
                                https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
                                Parts Thread
                                https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

Working...
                                X