Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cluster bulb replacement - Still no light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cluster bulb replacement - Still no light?

So I received my bulb replacements for my gauge cluster in the mail and got to work. Installed them, wired everything back up and tried it out..nothing.

Now, I will point out that I didn't get 5W-12V bulbs like the stock ones that were in there. I just ordered some LED ones on Ebay because I figured "They're cheap, brighter, and I have color options."

They connect all the same and what-not, but they don't light up at all. I'm not electrical-work savvy, so I don't know why they aren't working. Has anyone here had any luck with these lights to begin with? ( Doing this in a '87 325E )

Not really worried about it, I'll just find some bulbs that match the stock ones that were in there. Just a little bummed because I liked the idea of a different light color for my cluster, but oh well.

stock:

bulbs I got:

Actually, I've run into another issue.
    So I went and got some replacement bulbs again. This time, the exact same bulbs that were originally in there. Plugged em' in and they don't light up either!
    All the other lights on my cluster work, It's just the 2 big ones for my gas/sped/tac that don't light up.

Help? :/

Comment

LEDs are directional, if you install them with + and - in the wrong position they won't work, so keep that in mind. Obviously not the problem since the incandescent also don't work. Check where the bulb sockets are soldered to the board, any cracks? Are the traces on the board ok?

Also those lights are connected to the dimmer, so it's possible there's a problem with that circuit. Do the HVAC console lights work?
      '89 lachssilber vert - Frau Blücher
      '84 alpine 2dr - gone to the great beyond...
      '00 titanium 4dr e46 - bricked

Comment

Originally posted by Semblance View Post
        LEDs are directional, if you install them with + and - in the wrong position they won't work, so keep that in mind. Obviously not the problem since the incandescent also don't work. Check where the bulb sockets are soldered to the board, any cracks? Are the traces on the board ok?

Also those lights are connected to the dimmer, so it's possible there's a problem with that circuit. Do the HVAC console lights work?
        I'll have to check first thing in the morning. I was out there working with a flashlight in my mouth the entire time; Not so ideal.

But for now I can tell you that yes, the HVAC console lights work.

Thank you for reachin' out :)

Comment

Alright so I pulled my cluster again and took it apart to see if the board could be an issue.

Here is the left light that lights up the fuel gauge and some of the sped. This light was working before, and the contacts aren't broken.

Here is the right side. This light never worked since I bought the car and now I can see why. I'm pretty bummed right now. I'm assuming I can just buy another circuit board without having to buy the rest of the cluster to deal with this issue. Because if that's the case, I feel the $40-$50 I've been seeing isn't too bad for one.

Though I am confused on why I'm not getting light from the left anymore.

Comment

That looks to be repairable. Get out the voltmeter and start tracing.

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
              That looks to be repairable. Get out the voltmeter and start tracing.
              I wouldn't know what to do even if I had a voltmeter. My incredibly shaky hands and fine soldering do not mix at all. I'd rather pay someone to do it or just buy a new board.

For now I've got some ghetto-fabulous LED strips from Autozone and put those in til I can figure out what I'm going to do.

Comment

I sent my cluster to Greg to get repaired. It took a little longer than I thought it would, but it was totally worth it in the end.

Instrument Cluster Testing - Full testing of all BMW E30 and E28. Odometer Repair - Common problem on all vintage BMW! Clear cover polishing Custom needle paint Variety of trim rings available!...
                My Garage
                2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                  I sent my cluster to Greg to get repaired. It took a little longer than I thought it would, but it was totally worth it in the end.

http://www.bavrest.com/
                  Eh I would if I could, but I'm a broke college student makin' it on my own. My project-heap is also my daily driver, so I can't really do without my cluster and a few hundred bucks haha.

Thanks for the suggestion though; Bookmarked.
                  Last edited by trapical; 09-21-2015, 01:02 AM.

Comment

I know it isn't the same, but on my car just the left side stopped illuminating. Changed the bulb, still nothing. That side wasn't getting voltage, but was grounding properly. I soldered a jumper wire from the + on the right side to the + on the left side, and all's been good since. Obviously best case scenario is to go with a BavRest unit, or have yours refurbished. I'd go look at some plug schematics and test with the voltmeter. It isn't too too hard

--Mike
                    (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Look on the for sale forum, you can get a new cluster for under 50 if you take your time. All you need is a good board so who cares if all the other components are shot. Someone else was posting lately about having broken a tab on their cluster and thinking about getting a new one, maybe you can make a deal. Get resourceful. If you don't have the money, then learn how to use a soldering iron and a DMM. it's not that hard, and cheap.
                      '89 lachssilber vert - Frau Blücher
                      '84 alpine 2dr - gone to the great beyond...
                      '00 titanium 4dr e46 - bricked

Comment

Yeah I'll see when I get my car running again. As of 3 days ago my cluster is the least of my problems :/

Comment

t belt? :(

--Mike
                          (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Working...
                          X