Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Identify transmission

Hey guys currently doing a manual swap on my 84 318i

I got a good deal on a transmission I panic bought it thinking it would work.

the top head bolts measure 120mm across so I figured it would work.

here's some pics

car then tranny :hitler:

The numbers on the inside of the bell housing show from top to bottom

I believe it's a getrag 245 5 speed of course and Hopefully it will fit my m10 engine.

Thanks guys!!!

I have good news and bad news for you:
    what you have there is an 80-82 320i trans.
    Yep, a 245, reputed to be the best of the M10 5-speeds.
    See extension housing, speedo shaft, and clutch throwout.

The good news is that it will bolt to an M10.
    The bad news is that
    it needs a shorter driveshaft than the E30M10 manual ever got.

So if you're planning on making a driveshaft
    OR the auto trans
    driveshaft is short enough to work, all you need to do is plug the
    speedo drive hole, come up with a shifter that works, make a trans mount,
    and you have a nice, stout transmission.

If you end up not using it, that's sought- after by the 2002 crowd.

hth

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Thanks TobyB!
      Well I'm pretty pumped then, it looks like I have some parts to order and work to do.
      I guess I'll cross the driveline bridge when I get that far researching when I have time.

so I need pilot bearing,flywheel,clutch kit and who knows what else lol.

Thanks again.

Comment

No problem!
        You may find that you need the 323i throwout bearing IF you use the 228mm 2002 clutch.
        If you use the stock 318i parts, they bolt right up, and work just fine for anything short
        of a 10+ psi turbo.

Sorry I don't know a darned thing about E30 driveshaft fitment with this (longer) trans...

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Sweet deal, yeah I haven't ordered a throw out bearing yet but I was assuming I'd need the same one that's on the tranny now just a new one.
          so wait I can use either throw out bearing? if I go 318 parts I can use a throwout bearing from a 318?

I was planning on getting a stock flywheel and having it machined down some, still haven't found one yet. Doing the pilot bearing in couple days and hitting u pull it up for parts this weekend.

blown away I can't find a used flywheel for cheap, thanks for the info again

Yeah I'm hoping my auto driveshaft fits up, if not I'm willing to shell out the dough for a custom made drive shaft and I eventually plan on going turbo after suspension/brakes.

Thanks again TobyB

Comment

Working...
          X