Caliper fell off while driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caliper fell off while driving

Hey my brother was driving across the country and she started to hear a metal on metal noise when she pressed on the breaks. No big deal just need new pads, so she finishes the first leg of her journey, about 10 hours of driving with with the bad pads. She gets to Florida and has goes to a shop and they give her new rotors and pads for 250.

Fast forward to today she was driving back to Austin Tx and she made it all the way to huston and bam her fricking caliper falls off and she is now getting her car towed back to Austin.

Well fack what should she do?

I suggested that she get the car towed straight to a garage (should it go to a dealer or just any garage) and told her that I would call the place that did the break job tomorrow when they are open.

But I don't know how I should deal with the garage. Assuming they don't want to deal with it and deny responsibility should I threaten to get a lawyer involved(last thing I want to do)

They are 100% responsible and should be required to pay for the tow and repair am I correct?
    Last edited by Dirty325ix; 09-30-2015, 07:32 PM.

Pictures of your sister? We need to know what we are dealing with here...
    ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
    ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
    ~ '87 535
    ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
    ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

The place in Austin will need to look at the brakes and determine exactly what happened before you can assign 100% blame to the Florida shop. A dealer would probably be the better bet since their word would carry more weight than a random garage.

If the shop in Florida indeed left something loose and won't cooperate financially in the cost of the tow and repair in Austin, it's going to be real tough to sue them from another state. The filing fees and time involved will probably make it not worth your while. Try to reason with the garage owner rather than ripping him a new one - it will probably get you further.

Did your sister pay with a credit card? If so, you can challenge the charge with the credit card company until the shop in Florida makes it right.

The E30 collection:
      1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
      1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
      1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
      1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
      1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
      1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
      1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
      2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
      2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

I don't know how to post pictures but heres our last family vacation

Comment

Yea I don't intend to rip the garage a new one I am just worried that they will get defense since the car is out of state and just between you and me.....I would never be able to afford a lawyer even if it was instate, sometimes it seems to motivate people

She sent me pictures and you can see the threads on the exposed portion of the caliper so I'm guessing the mechanic either didn't tighten the caliper bolt down enough or just didn't even put a bolt on. For now it's headed to the dealership so I guess I'll wait to hear back from them and then I'll call the garage.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty325ix View Post
            just between you and me.....I would never be able to afford a lawyer even if it was instate, sometimes it seems to motivate people.
            What about a lawyer based on a contingency.

Comment

Good point
              I have never been on the customer end of this situation but when I worked at a garage it was always clear that if I broke it I bought it. Only thing is that was working with a brand name garage so they had a name to protect hopefully it is the same with smaller shops

Comment

Originally posted by dirty325ix View Post
                i don't know how to post pictures but heres our last family vacation
                https://youtu.be/dqw4w9wgxcq

hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!
                sigpic
                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I hope the vacation was more available than that youtube video.

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                    What about a lawyer based on a contingency.
                    Lawyers only work on contingency when the odds of winning are VERY high and their percentage will far exceed what they would have billed for by the hour. Even then they often want some up front flat fee.

This is not one of those cases.
                    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                    Alice the Time Capsule
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                      Lawyers only work on contingency when the odds of winning are VERY high and their percentage will far exceed what they would have billed for by the hour. Even then they often want some up front flat fee.

This is not one of those cases.
                      That's true. But speaking with a lawyer about the feasibility of a case can't be substituted by a thread on R3v.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty325ix View Post
                        I don't know how to post pictures but heres our last family vacation
                        https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ
                        It's funny you cannot make a hyper link...

Current cars:
                        ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                        ~ '87 535
                        ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                        ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Expensive tow to Austin.

Why not ask a Houston member like myself to check out/repair the car on the cheap and get it moving again? I'm happy to work for plunging neck lines and sexual innuendo.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                          https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                            Expensive tow to Austin.

Why not ask a Houston member like myself to check out/repair the car on the cheap and get it moving again? I'm happy to work for plunging neck lines and sexual innuendo.
                            get pictures since OP does not abide.

Current cars:
                            ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                            ~ '87 535
                            ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                            ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Damn hyper links are way over my head

<a href="http://www.hyperlinkcode.com/">hyperlink code</a>
                              That's as far is I got
                              Last edited by Dirty325ix; 09-30-2015, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X