a shuddering when brakes applied.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a shuddering when brakes applied.

in my 86 es i have a shudder when i apply the brakes. feel it mostly in the peddle but also through the wheel and the seat. can't tell wether it's the front or real. front breaks are a year old wiuth new everything including calipers. the only thing that isn't new in the front is the pass side caliper mounting bracket. can a bracket cause this. the car drives straight and smooth as silk. also does NOT pull either when brakes are applied.
    sigpic

I'd say the problem will be with the rotors. They could be warped, not seating correctly, or have uneven pad deposits on them.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

If not rotors, maybe severely worn ball joints?

Comment

If you feel anything through the steering wheel, it usually means it's in the front of the car. If you feel it in the seat, it's usually the rear of the car. What type of rotors/pads do you use and how do you drive the car?
        Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
          If you feel anything through the steering wheel, it usually means it's in the front of the car. If you feel it in the seat, it's usually the rear of the car. What type of rotors/pads do you use and how do you drive the car?
          cheap shit from advanced on front brakes but it is pretty new. i never beat her, all highway. i do feel it in the steering wheel but not to the point where i can say it's front end cause i also feel it in the seat and peddle.
          sigpic

Comment

The reason I ask is because if you ride the brakes with light pressure on the approach to a stop, they'll heat up and it's more likely you'll have glazed the pads/warped the rotors as jlevie mentioned.
            Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

If your rotors are hot from hard braking and you hit a puddle the thermal shock can easily warp them. This is where the quality of the steel (ie where they were made) would be a factor.
              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
              Alice the Time Capsule
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Working...
              X