Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st try at Valve adjustment -- how do I turn this crankshaft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rustneversleeps View Post
    i like this method do you know how many bolts to take off..

so how about the other valves do you back it up and then forward and so on so forth for each valves or just keep going forward..

X2

does this apply to AT .....

If you have an auto then 22 mm wrench is the way to go.

Comment

So i still have to drain the rad and take it out with the shroud to get at the 22mm bolt or crank bolt..
      sigpic

Comment

So i still have to drain the rad and take it out with the shroud to get at the 22mm bolt or crank bolt..
        No, you do not have to drain and take out the radiator. Use the 22 mm wrench from the bottom of the car. You do have to remove the splash guard to get to the crank bolt.

Comment

I'll be doing mine as soon as the warm weather hits.I have the Bentley shop manual and all it does is brings me to another page or content to remove something else....So i like to know to..

I also would check the how to video on you-tube by Dan Cronin.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tkkKGcDXnz8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
          The videos works or this site won't let me copy and paste..
          1990 325i
          2004 330i Individual 6-speed
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
            No, you do not have to drain and take out the radiator. Use the 22 mm wrench from the bottom of the car. You do have to remove the splash guard to get to the crank bolt.
            Ok I was looking under there today but it's to fine the bolts that hold it up,I'll check the Bentley again...
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
              Remote starter switch connected to the diagnostic connector on pins 11 and 14 can be used to bump the engine over and allow you to adjust the valves.
              This is by far the easiest method. Just pull the fuel relay...
              My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Wish i was a mechanic Thank god for the bentley.....so were would the diagnostic connector be and fuel relay..
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                  Remote starter switch connected to the diagnostic connector on pins 11 and 14 can be used to bump the engine over and allow you to adjust the valves.

This. Makes life so much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  sigpic
                  1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
                  I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

I have always used the wrench from the top. It would help if it was a bit longer but it's very easynfrom above.
                    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                    Alice the Time Capsule
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                      I use a 22mm ratcheting box wrench. Works like a charm. Once it's on it's there for the entire process.
                      remember to remove it once your finished, it's easy to forget it's down there. Until you start it.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstudent View Post
                        remember to remove it once your finished, it's easy to forget it's down there. Until you start it.
                        Did you do this? It would have done quite a damage!

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstudent View Post
                          Did you do this? It would have done quite a damage!
                          First time I did this my buddy left the wrench on the crank. When I went to start it it bent the wrench into a J and the new water pump began to leak like crazy since it took the brunt of the impact.

The upside is I can now change the timing belt/water pump by myself in less than 4 hrs...
                          sigpic
                          1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
                          I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

I prefer the jack up the rear-put in 5th-turn the rear wheel method. 1/4 to 1/34 turns of the wheel will move you through the firing order. Takes me about and hour to do it this way.
                            Estoguy
                            1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

To bad i have an automatic.....or will it work...
                              sigpic

Comment

To bad i have an automatic.....or will it work...
                                Even if there is an override to shift the trans into D (I don't know if you can do this with E30 Auto), it would be in 1st gear. The effort to rotate the wheel in 1st gear is not worth your time (this is the reason why we put it in 5th). Use a 22 mm wrench or jump 11 & 14 and call it the day!

Comment

Working...
                                X