ABS harness repair or replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABS harness repair or replacement?

The wires for my ABS system have seen better days. The plugs are brittle and almost crumble when I try to connect or disconnect them. On top of that a rat or mouse has made a meal of at least one of the sections. Can a new harness be built from scratch to replace or is there something specific about the casing/wiring that specifically was designed into the system? I've honestly searched and found very little info on the subject, but have seen mention specific resistance is needed for the system to work?
    Attached Files

Those are SRS connectors, not ABS. AFAIK all of the plugs for the airbag system are orange.

Comment

I didn't even realize that one was SRS so that helps me worry less about it, but the orange ones are still in rough shape. The other pic shows the casing of the plug is breaking apart. Are there replacements for these?

Comment

There probably are, but if your crash sensors (orange boxes) have leaked out black goo they're probably toast.

Some of the harness parts/sensors may still be available, but at a price point that makes no sense for all but the very best E30s.

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3...s_airbag#pos_3

Comment

I haven't noticed any goo. I'll double check to see, but was hoping to salvage what I have and keep ABS. If they are goo I'll concede and bypass. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Reading comprehension just isn't my thing. I realized you were pointing out that the orange connectors and boxes were SRS and I failed to comprehend that. I have now removed those boxes, harness, and now the orange box under the dash as I plan to replace the steering wheel with a non airbag sporting something or other.

As for replacing any chewed ABS wires, I still don't know if I will be able to fix what I've got without effecting the system? I'll look around and see if I can find a full harness, but I really don't want to spend a ton of cash at the moment on it.

Found ABS harness repair wiring part # 61131390540
            Last edited by captain awesome; 04-05-2017, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Part # 61131390540

Repair cable for ABS:

john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I saw that as well. Unfortunately I guess the only way to get new female plugs is to install new wheel sensors. At this point I think I'll repair that one section for now and see how it all works before going down the rabbit hole.

Comment

Ah, I see that one of those connectors was for ABS. As to replacement, there are some marine grade connectors out there that look similar and should work well.

Comment

I was thinking something like this may be worth a shot. They are inexpensive and will manage to replace a whole set of ABS connectors leaving one extra.

Comment

I've got all the ABS and SRS wiring and components I removed from my '89 track car if you're interested. In the cases where I had to I cut the plugs off they have sufficient wire for splicing.

Comment

Originally posted by vpilarrt View Post
                        I've got all the ABS and SRS wiring and components I removed from my '89 track car if you're interested. In the cases where I had to I cut the plugs off they have sufficient wire for splicing.

I'm ditching the SRS stuff, but interested in the ABS wires. Are the plugs brittle at all?

Comment

Are the plugs brittle at all?
                          Don't think so but I'll double check.

Comment

Working...
                          X