Cross country planning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
    ^ That's awesome! Kinda what I have in mind. I'll have to plug in Glacier Natl Park into Google maps.

I'm not going to be as anal about it as you, mcgyver. I just need to do an oil change and replace my right rear wheel bearing (already did the other three). I've had the car for the past three years and have done most of your list by now. Though I should adjust my valves before going. You and I are going to be offset by about two weeks! My last day here will be July 22nd or so. Almost exactly three years since I flew out here!

My sister lives in Oakland. It used to be terrible but the gentrificaiton of SF has pushed many people who can't quite afford to live in SF but still have money into Oakland.

My check engine light has actually been removed. I've found the wires but am missing the tiny bulb holder. I had a new aftermarket cat put on last year but I'm going to keep my CT plates for as long as I can while I figure out the check engine light bs. The car is CA compliant so I shouldn't have to do too much to get it up to spec.
    If your going to be running I80 glacier is going to be at least 12 hours 1 way north out of your way, its a soild full days drive from SLC to Missoula and GNP is another 3 hours north on a good day with out the tourists clogging up the raods. Is tourist season right now and BUSY AS HELL, around here. Not saying its not worth the trip, but if your in a time crunch then coming up her for a pass though is going to leave your balls very blue. You could spend a month up here and only see the highlights of the park and most popular areas. The throngs of people everywhere kinda ruin it, but if you make it up this way and I am still home, I can show you some of the less traveled .....
    Originally posted by Fusion
    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
    William Pitt-

Comment

^ Lol, I googled it the other night and realized how far from i-80 it is. Look amazing but the drive is not something I want to do this trip.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

have you drove highway one in big sur? its nice bro, you can do it after you move to SF :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kslbo308 View Post
          have you drove highway one in big sur? its nice bro, you can do it after you move to SF :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I'm pretty sure I camped under that at Limekiln State Park. It was something like $30 for the night and completely awesome!
          sigpic
          1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
          1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
          1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by BobombETA View Post
            I'd change all the fluids and pack various fuses, relays, and bulbs.
            That's what I was going to say. 5-6 days seems pretty quick too by my measure.

Comment

Swapped my last wheel bearing yesterday. I had two that were bad (1 front, 1 back) but did all 4 and for some reasons the races only separated on the two that were good. The bearings that were bad stayed intact and I didn't have to cut or pry them off the hub/spindle.

Anything to do between Des Moines and SLC? I could do the 15 hour drive but would rather break it up into two days. It's the midwest so I'm like.. wtf is there to do?

I could go to Denver but that adds a few hours to the trip. But it means I could overnight in Reno. But at that point it's only 4 hours til I'm home.. it seems like I'm either going to have one day of getting rammed in the ass or two or three days of only driving for 6 hours.

Going to look up National Park campsites I guess!

Comment

If these guys can do it across Africa, you'll have no problems!

If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Well I made it. No hiccups from the car. Driving down the rocky mountains just before SLC was intense... 80mph speed limit + 5% decline + high winds + semi trucks = scary

I think my high speed fan switch doesn't work though.. I will have to trouble shoot. I should also change my coolant mixture.

Anyone run water wetter? I bought a bottle a couple years ago but didn't end up using it. I'm thinking of running straight water without antifreeze so potentially the water wetter would be running at max efficiency.

Comment

^

Bad Idea, you dont get "maximum efficiency" running straight H2O. Water boils at 212, adding coolant increases that temp. Running stright H2O also will promote corrosion on the inside of you cooling system much faster, than running a proper 50/50 collant mixture. Water wetter has proven to be effective in some situations ( I seem to remember the 3/S VR4/stealth rt/tt and DSM crowd having some smallish improvements under high boost, hot temp conditions many years ago) if you must just add your WW to a good 50/50 coolant mix.

1st off I would pressure test the system to make sure you dont have any leaks. Next I would check your fan clutch, and make sure its locking up correctly and soildlly Then if that checks out I would flush the cooling system very very well, like 3-4 times to make sure you got all the sludge and crap out. I would also at this time use the hose and blow all the dirt and shit out of your radiator core. Reassemble and makes sure you have a good 50/50 coolant mix and drive the hell out and see what happens.
                    Originally posted by Fusion
                    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                    William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
                    X