Knock sensor fault 206, 1994 530it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knock sensor fault 206, 1994 530it

working on a 530it (e34) that stalls out and runs crappy when hot. First thing i did was smoke test the intake, found some leaks on the endplates and the intake boot.. had faults stored for both o2 sensors and one knock sensor, although i wasn't sure how old these faults were.
    removed intake to replace all intake gaskets and end plate seals, checked ccv and it seems ok (looked at diaphragm)
    While intake was off i noticed the plastic housings of all the knock sensors were chipped and deteriorated away, so I put 4 new knock sensors in, had to remove coolant pipe to get to the drivers side sensors... also did two o2 sensors.
    got it all together, cleared the faults and it runs fine until it gets hot. will die while idling, and also while cruising down the road it will surge a bit and run rough even sometimes.. and the check engine light will come on sporadically.
    checked faults again and its BMW code 206 (using the DIS tester copy i have) "Knock sensor control short to b+"
    also there were faults again for both o2 sensors, saying the mixutre was too rich and it couldnt lean it out any further.
    I smell a rich mixture as well.

so how can a knock sensor control affect lean/rich? I thought it would just retard or advance timing depending on detonation in the cylinders....

Has anyone been down this road and if so where should i start..? I have looked at most of my wiring and i dont see anything messed up

this fault would be fault 1286 if you were to get stomp codes

Comment

Working...
    X