No announcement yet.

its been a long time coming.....the DD rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh yeah lining them up is gonna be ridiculously difficult, I'm sure there a good way to do it. I may end up calling TischerBMW and asking them for ideas. Who knows.
    stephenbrody.com

Comment

Just got my BavAuto chip in from BrewCity11 today. I was super eager to get my 153 out of the car so I pried open the 173 I bought, dropped in the chip and ran outside to the car. It took me a couple of minutes and I needed to find new screws for the 173 since the 153 ones were too short. Overall it was a super easy install (as it should be). I have to say it's a world's difference!!! The car idles so much better, the engine has a significantly lesser "tick", even with the automatic it shifts better, and I can feel a significant difference in HP on the top end of the rpms. hell even the redline shift was smooth! Overall I'm super happy with it. Now I can't wait for Spring Break next week to get everything else into the car!!

173 with new BavAuto chip installed

173 installed in the car

Old 153 I pulled from the car (what a POS)
      stephenbrody.com

Comment

Nice...interesting upgrade. I wasn't sure that ECUs were easily swappable...I guress I should read more on that.
        BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Sweet, glad it all worked out for you. I have no knowledge of the 153 to 173 ecu swap, but i imagine theres something to be gained there, huh? The chip on top of that must've been a great improvement!

Oh, and btw, i was planning on avoiding drilling into the rockers with the iS skirts. Just use the clips on the bottom and use some 3m doublesided tape on the top edge.
          turk@gutenparts.com

Originally posted by Janderson
          Properly placed zip ties will hold bridges together.

Comment

Originally posted by BrewCity11 View Post
            Sweet, glad it all worked out for you. I have no knowledge of the 153 to 173 ecu swap, but i imagine theres something to be gained there, huh? The chip on top of that must've been a great improvement!
            I red a lot about the ecu issues. The 153 was one of the first with the Motronic 1.1 system but it had many idle issues, timing problems etc. The 173 was the most stable system produced which is why it is the most sought after. From what I've read all of the e30 ECU's are direct swaps. Mine actually came out of an 89 525is (same m20b25 engine as the e30)
            the 173 + chip was a huge improvement!

Originally posted by BrewCity11 View Post
            Oh, and btw, i was planning on avoiding drilling into the rockers with the iS skirts. Just use the clips on the bottom and use some 3m doublesided tape on the top edge.
            That's an interesting concept, I wonder how that would hold up over time. I'm very skeptical about "taping" up the sides, well have to see how it all works outs. Let me know how that goes for you.
            stephenbrody.com

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTerp View Post
              That's an interesting concept, I wonder how that would hold up over time. I'm very skeptical about "taping" up the sides, well have to see how it all works outs. Let me know how that goes for you.
              I spoke to soon. I think i re-sold them before getting them. I could use the cash.

Alot of people use the tape and should hold up for a long time.
              Make sure to get the VHB style (very high bond, i think it stands for)
              turk@gutenparts.com

Originally posted by Janderson
              Properly placed zip ties will hold bridges together.

Comment

or you could use windshield adhesive. I'm thinking about just using glue or tape as well. But its always iffy. though I did tie tie my bumper for a year and it stayed on just fine. hahaha

Comment

the 3m doublesided tape is VERY sticky if you prep it well. that's part of what holds the ix skirts on. I had a hell of a time getting that shit off my parts car.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

well i guess if it's done correctly then it should be a stable system. I'll definitely look into it more. I'm wondering if I can get TischerBMW to drill the holes for me for cheap?
                    stephenbrody.com

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTerp View Post
                      well i guess if it's done correctly then it should be a stable system. I'll definitely look into it more. I'm wondering if I can get TischerBMW to drill the holes for me for cheap?
                      if you can, hit me up, anything under 75 dollars I'm game. However, as with dealership, most likely they dont know shit about the older cars. They will probably end up doing a shittier job than you doing it yourself.

I learned not to trust the dealership, as I know some of hte tech there, as well as VOB. They are mostly a bunch of part swappers. No one really knows anything else.

unless.... they ahve the template. then I would buy teh template from them. and drill it myself.

SO.... I just called tischer parts dept. they say tell me to talk to service, and I talk to service they say talk to parts. Confirms my suspicion that they dont know how to do it. Maybe I contact bmw USA and maybe they have a template.
                      Last edited by thereisnoyun; 03-10-2009, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thereisnoyun View Post
                        SO.... I just called tischer parts dept. they say tell me to talk to service, and I talk to service they say talk to parts. Confirms my suspicion that they dont know how to do it. Maybe I contact bmw USA and maybe they have a template.
                        Yeah that doesn't suprise me one bit. I'll do the same with BMW USA and hopefully one of us will be able to get a hold of it, that would be a huge step forward!

On another note:
                        As in one of the General Discussion Threads, I have decided to take up the project of building the e30 registry website. It'll be am interesting and long endeavor but I think having a registry site for all of us would be great. Let's hope some other designers and coders on here want to make this a joint project!
                        stephenbrody.com

Comment

Very nice, I'd much like to do a 173 + mark d chip as well.

But is there a reason you're not going to swap in the is diff? ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                            But is there a reason you're not going to swap in the is diff? ;)
                            I actually discovered that my 325i sedan has the same 3.73 lsd already in it! apparently the 87 was the last year they offered this as a standard option for the sedans. I may be completely wrong about that but considering my family has owned the car since it rolled off the lot and I still have the original purchase papers, I actually don't need it. the bright side is I get to make some more money off the lsd and put it towards the car!
                            stephenbrody.com

Comment

So I haven't really been able to do much work on the car since rehearsals have been taking up ever minute of my life but over the pat week I've been able to get some new stuff done. Thank to Yun we were able to fix my drivers seat so now the back actually is connected to the bottom of the seat and everything works again! I did some basic maintainence on the car. Then today I finally was able to chop the front end off!

New Tools are fun!

A few more tools and drinks to get destruction under way:

Chopped off the radiator support:

Lots of "small stuff" got pulled: hoses, alternator, power steering pump, oil cooler, water pump and more.

This is how the parts car stand now:

The obligatory scar from a job well done:

I was also able to get the new radio installed.

Ipod in the Glovebox, I've also since added a 250GB Hard Drive after figured out a few minor details to get everything to work correctly. It's a great system, no need for cd's and playlist/search functions are amazing for both the iPod and HDD. The Banking capabilities for the HDD are awesome, 50k+ songs and it's able to search flawlessly through all of it and use all of the ID3 tags!
                              stephenbrody.com

Comment

wow you are on the ball with things. When I have time to work on my car, alot of times I just kind get lazy and not work on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X