Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving to San Fran, Tips on how not to stab Landlords!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like what OP said ... his wife works in DTSF, she must be able to get to work on time as I see it... living more than 20 to 30 miles from DTSF is not ideal for them... getting in DTSF in the morning and getting out of DTSF after work is a disaster... not unless they are going to learn how to take the public transpo... IMO

And I'm from SF and my family and friends go to the beach any chance we get... COLD/FOGGY we don't mind... We work hard / We play hard...

Comment

Originally posted by crzylildude View Post
      Like what OP said ... his wife works in DTSF, she must be able to get to work on time as I see it... living more than 20 to 30 miles from DTSF is not ideal for them... getting in DTSF in the morning and getting out of DTSF after work is a disaster... not unless they are going to learn how to take the public transpo... IMO

And I'm from SF and my family and friends go to the beach any chance we get... COLD/FOGGY we don't mind... We work hard / We play hard...
      Nailed it! I'm narrowing search down to 20-35 minute average commute time on public transport. From what Ive seen Daly and further south is closer to 45 minutes plus on public transport. I was hopeful San Mateo might work because of the "Baby Bullet" but I think the bullet part is lie!
      Ive been checking commute times on google maps at various times of the Day to try and get a real estimate, and like I said will be out next weekend.
      I love that people ask stupid questions so I dont have.

Comment

Originally posted by ohthejosh View Post
        ^Lives in the Castro, bright young lad.
        I think wife is hoping I buy some skinny jeans and flirt w/ a Castro landlord to lower the rent...:sad:

Comment

Originally posted by mccor023 View Post
          I think wife is hoping I buy some skinny jeans and flirt w/ a Castro landlord to lower the rent...:sad:
          Take one for the team man. You never know you might like it...

SJ is about an hour drive with no traffic. That makes it almost double with traffic, so its definitely out of the question.

I would try out the whole SF lifestyle thing and then after a year or so see how you like it. Then make a real permanent decision on whether you think its worth it.

Don't forget to come say hi to us e30 folks in the south bay.

Comment

Can anyone tell me if crime is really as bad as all the reports? Or is it all those smart computer guys who played D&D in high school who, have moved out. And they report every time someone steals their lunch money?

Comment

Oh also, where is the best place for a big dummy to steal lunch money from smart computer people?
              :)

Comment

Originally posted by Blackout View Post
                Caution: SF natives really do not like the slang "San Fran" for their city.
                OK terms to use - Bay area, SF.
                most people just say "the city"

also never heard of anyone being offended by the term sanfran.

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                people don't actually go to the beach in sf
                pfffft I do. I love an ocean beach bonfire.

OP unless you shit 8k+ a month I would not recommend moving into the 7x7 miles of madness and rent higher than Charlie sheen. try the east bay, commute, and save a shit ton of money. and keep the e30. win win.

Comment

I was started to get excited about Oakland, but then...
                  I found this

That's just this month!!! WTF!
                  And then I saw this...https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...kland+sideshow

And when I calculated the cost of 2 kevlar vests, and Navy Seal led self-defense class for my wife and I SF looks like a bargain.:)

Comment

I hate the city. the road are always torn up and pot holes. and $3500/mo is normal rent for a 1br, no garage. and it always smells like someone has taken a shit next to you. dont get me wrong. the parties are off the hook but living in the city is rough.

Also fuk Oakland. that place is 100% bad.

35min commute is very short. almost no one i know has ever had a commute that short unless they were making $300k a year in SF. in reality 1-2hr commutes each way is normal for the average person. do keep in mind this is the most idea place in the world to live. you've never understood prosperity until you live in the bay. seeing $200k+ cars are the norm. the normal house costs 1M+. shit has gotten real.
                    Much wow
                    I hate 4 doors

Comment

Originally posted by crzylildude View Post
                      Try DALY CITY... I use to live there pretty decent area... close to DTSF close to the beach... you get half/half...
                      All I remember from living in Daly City was fog. Lots of fog.

Currently building a badass coffee table
                      Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

I spent a lot of time at Berkeley and would often travel to SF via BART. That was a really easy trip. I'd probably do that if you work was in the financial district.
                        world renown Harry Potter expert
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                          people don't actually go to the beach in sf
                          Was there today. Surf was real. 8ft and barrels, offshore wind.

Living in the city is a trade-off between having a short commute or having money. Moving out of the city will cost transportation $$$ and time that you never get back. I live downtown and walk almost everywhere. Saves time and money.

Look at the Sunset. It's nice, you can park on the street easily, and there are MUNI train lines that make getting downtown relatively easy. It's also way more family friendly if that's your end goal. You said wife, so. Might as well plan ahead, rent control might keep you where you end up.
                          Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                          A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by Chilezen View Post
                            All I remember from living in Daly City was fog. Lots of fog.
                            Yup don't you love it... I love City of Pacifica - Linda Mar (Pacifica State Beach)

Comment

Couldn't make it in SF, just couldn't pay for a nice E30 every month and have tiny crapy apt. So Oakland and JLS it is! And got 3 free parking spaces...

Comment

Jealous wish I could move to Cali. GL with your move OP.
                                sigpic
                                Rescued 1986 325e Coupe
                                1988 325ix Touring 5spd currently being rescued
                                Ottawa, Ontario, Canada :finger:

Comment

Working...
                                X