Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On the market for an E30, what do I look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the market for an E30, what do I look for?

I have been in the Subaru scene for awhile and have been eyeing the e30's.

My question is, what do I look for?
    I have had my eye on a 6 cylinder 5 speed.
    Anything I should know?
    Reliability issues?
    How easy are they to work on?

The car will be my daily but I am pretty mechanically inclined to work on it on the weekend to add goodies.

Whats up with the bumpers??

Aaaaand whats the difference between the i, is, es?

Also the difference between 325 and 318??

Comment

So what exactly are the differences between a 325e and 325i? Why do some models have an “s”, like a 318is, 325es, and 325is? Is the ’84-’85 318i the same as the ’91 31…
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

thank you sir!

Comment

Beyond the link just spend some time searching or just browsing the forum as this one has been covered seemingly hundreds of times. When you've done that try to test drive all of the engines (if you want a stock one) instead of deciding just on numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
            Beyond the link just spend some time searching or just browsing the forum as this one has been covered seemingly millions of times. When you've done that try to test drive all of the engines (if you want a stock one) instead of deciding just on numbers.
            Corrected for you.

Comment

Well I think I've set my mind on having a 6cyl 325is. I like the sound of it.
              Getting a 4cyl and trying to turbo my daily sound like a nightmare. lol have to see how hard it is to map the ecu, if it possible, or get a standalone. Seems like a pain.
              I'd be content with a stock 6 cylinder. Maybe buy a second motor and donhigh compression. Or maybe swapndown the road. I just want a good car for the next 3 years. And I want one that I can invest money into. I prefer the rarer cars. Don't want to put money into the less sought after model.

Comment

You literally just missed the car for you.

It was an 89 325is, priced at 6k, for sale on the PHX clist.

Good luck with your search. You happen to want the E30 that just about everyone wants, so if you find one you like I'd recommend you jump on it with haste. The iS models will disappear very quickly.
                My previous build (currently E30-less)
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Noted!
                  Thanks.
                  For now I am saving up my pennies and will purchase one in late June/early July.

Also, I came across and ix.
                  Stay away? Buy?
                  Or is the AWD not worth it?

Comment

You live in Phoenix so there is no need for an iX. iX parts can be more expensive and harder to find. I live in a snow heavy region and never had a problem with my 325IC RWD. I would stay away from an iX.

Comment

I too would avoid an iX, especially in Phoenix. Just no point at all. More complex, slower, and parts are harder to find. All for no real gain.

Comment

There is an 'AZE30s' Facebook group that may be a worthwhile resource for you.

Comment

I have been out of the Facebook scene for awhile, I might have to get it back once I move back to Phoenix.
                          Thanks for the insight.

Comment

Hey, I see you're in Flagstaff.
                            I just graduated from NAU and moving down to phoenix sunday.

You're not the guy I just talked to that works at uhaul in town are you?
                            Marcus was his name? Silver E30 with bronze rims.

Comment

Congrats on graduating.

Nah, I am an Engineer here in town. I didn't know the Uhaul (I rent car trailers from them occasionally) had an employee with an E30. I'll keep an eye out the next time I swing by.

Comment

Working...
                              X