Nicademus' 1986 325e Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nicademus' 1986 325e Journal

So I started a thread in the General Section of the forum but will be posting about my car in this thread from here on out. I have a:

1986 BMW 325e

• Alpine White
    • Houndstooth interior
    • 233,000 miles
    • Cost $500
    • Manual Transmission

You can check out my previous thread here with pictures from day of purchase, painting grille black, engine and post first washing/waxing: click me

*EDIT*
    Or you can scroll down a ways and see the pictures. I copied and pasted them over, but if you want to read the comments and such go to the link.

Yesterday I went out to some tweekers house and picked up some interior parts. I got a near perfect dash, center console, shift boot, and many buttons for $60 total. Here's some pictures of the score (minus the shift boot which I installed already. The boot has a slight crack but is better than the one I had):

What is the button in the center for??

He had other stuff I wanted such as door tweeters, clean alpine white side mirrors, and gauge cluster, but he was trying to change prices from what had been agreed upon on the phone so I didn't buy them out of spite.
    Last edited by Nicademus; 08-26-2008, 01:59 PM.

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
    ~ John Adams ~

The button you are referring to is a circuit breaker button, it prevents the windows from opening.
    1989 Bronzit 325ia- Sold
    1986 Diamondschwarz Grey Market 325i Sport Mtech 1- Parted out
    1988 Delphin 327i- Sold
    1995 Cosmos M3- Current

Comment

Originally posted by T3rd Ferguson View Post
      The button you are referring to is a circuit breaker button, it prevents the windows from opening.
      Thanks for the help :)

Now I just have to pull my dash and put this one in. I'm guessing it will be harder than the removal which was actually quite easy. Although I did hack up some of his wiring....he said he was scrapping the car today anyways though.

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
      ~ John Adams ~

Comment

You should put this in the project forum so we can see the progress :)
        WTB: 318is/325is/325i coupe SoCAL

Comment

Can mods move stuff?

~ John Adams ~

Comment

Sure, but maybe start a new thread with everything compiled into one thread. That my favorite part of this forum since I cant find a decent 318is :(
            WTB: 318is/325is/325i coupe SoCAL

Comment

Originally posted by Nicademus View Post
              Can mods move stuff?
              Sure, just moved it for you.

1992 BMW 325iC
              1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
              1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                Sure, just moved it for you.
                Thanks JasonC :D

So I went to put the power window switches I acquired into my car but found out they don't fit :( Apparently the late model car I got them from has different pins. Any help on this? I think I could trim this plastic part on the bottom of them but I don't want to ruin them.

~ John Adams ~

Comment

So I'm copying and pasting the stuff over to here from my original thread I made:

So I joined the family and as of hours ago I'm a proud owner of an E30 BMW:D It's not exactly what I wanted (89'-91' 325is 2dr, manual), but the price was right. Here's the info on my new friend:

1986 BMW 325e
                  • 2 door
                  • white (what is the color's official name? Alpine White?)
                  • Houndstooth Interior (I'm pretty sure)
                  • Runs well
                  • New Tires (verified)
                  • New Brakes (verified)
                  • Tabs till 03/2009
                  • Previous Owner worked at BMW Northwest
                  • He said it had new Belts, Water Pump, and other stuff I can't remember but will ask
                  • Original Manuals, tape thingy and stuff (see picture)
                  • BMW Chilton Repair Manual
                  • Battery cover, tool kit, jack, thing is blue plastic box, basically a bunch of original stuff
                  • $500

Is it normal to have this LED push button in the OEM key? The guy claimed he did it custom himself?

~ John Adams ~

Comment

More from original thread::

Ok so I took the grille off, bought adhesion promoter and paint but didn't use it because ethree told me to use SEM paint. I also took some pictures of the engine and plastic front bumper I picked up used today for $10. It has a crack in it but it's pretty decent for the money.

I tried to show the date on the radiator but I blew it. It says 07/22/2004.

I know, I know the pics are kind of monotonous, but I wanted to show how clean it was and make sure I got everything covered so people could comment on it. I took these at 11:50pm so it was really dark out.

~ John Adams ~

Comment

and.........some more stuff:

I painted the UGLY white side grilles as well as the kidney grill black and now they looked 10000 times better. I also gave it a wash and attempted to wax it but it 10:00 at night sooo it was getting kinda annoying. The wax made it look better but I think because the paint is so bad it doesn't take as well as it should.

I also have some shocks (only two are for the E30, I still need the other 2 for my car) but need springs before I can mount them.

Originally posted by Blakesan View Post
                      hey I need some black door panels how much??
                      What???? ^^^ Did I say I was selling some??

~ John Adams ~

Comment

Is the reflection on your car just weird or did someone not finish shadowlining it? Either way, it needs it badly and tuck those bumpers =]
                        -Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Uber E30 View Post
                          Is the reflection on your car just weird or did someone not finish shadowlining it? Either way, it needs it badly and tuck those bumpers =]
                          Its a weird shadow. All trim is chrome or whatever you want to call it. I like to call it ugly ;) Yeah I want to tuck the front bumpers. Guess I need to break out the drill. Does it really spray a lot of oil? :-?

~ John Adams ~

Comment

So I just got done putting some window switches in my car that work like new. The PO must have spilled soda on the old one or something because they'd got stuck in when pushed. I had to cut one tab off each of the new switches because they're out of a 91' and were different than mine. They work great.

I'm currently in the process of sewing some tears in the drivers seat by hand. I'll take pictures of it right now and post when completed (it seems to be working, but I wish I had thicker thread).

Last edited by Nicademus; 08-26-2008, 02:02 PM.

~ John Adams ~

Comment

Alright, scoring parts on the cheap from tweekers FTW.

Also liking the level of enthusiasm, now if we can just get you to post in the sub-forums directly

Keep it up.

Comment

Working...
                              X