Oil leak from Oil cooler lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leak from Oil cooler lines

Okay so I have a 89 325i and it is spewing oil from the oil cooler where the lines go into the block. with the car on it leaks ALOT. There is no oil light coming on either, is that normal?? I am going to try to tighten these connections when the car is cooler, but also, after driving more than a half hour the oil that was leaking out was not hot at all. and the oil cooler was not hot. is that normal as well???

okay so thankfully tightening the threads on the fitting fixed the oil leak. I was able to tighten them by hand. But can anybody answer my question if the oil cooler should be hot or not after running? To me it seems like it should but I have been wrong before....

Comment

I believe the oil cooler is controlled by a thermostat where the hoses connect to the block so in theory, oil will not circulate to the cooler until it reaches the set point. Of course that doesnt explain why you would be leaking from the hose unless the leak only occurred when the cooler was in use and by the time you touched the line it had been closed for a while and had cooled down
      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
      Alice the Time Capsule
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Hmm. that makes sense. My engine smells like it has been running a little hot lately too. The temp gauge in the car reads fine, but the tach doesnt always work so im thinking the temp gauge might not also. I havnt been able to find the laser temp gun yet so i havnt been able to check the true running temperature. Even if the oil cooler was not working at all, that should not affect how hot the car runs correct? I did some research on here and people said they say minimal difference with and without the oil cooler.

Comment

also when i first saw the leak and touched the lines and the oil on the ground (both not hot) I had just gotten back from a 45 minute to an hour long drive. seems everything should be up to temperature by then to me...

Comment

If the leak is at the fittings where the lines connect to the oil filter adapter, the o-rings for those fittings need to be replaced. I don't know at what temperature the thermostat in the oil filter adapter has to be to open, but I do know that it is pretty high, probably higher than the engine would see in ordinary driving.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
            X