Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car does not idle, but will rev and drive (but misses)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car does not idle, but will rev and drive (but misses)

Hi all. Damn! I don't feel so bad now that it looks like a lot of people are having idle issues!
    The other day I was driving leisurely down the road maintaining a steady throttle, going 35mph in second I believe, when the fueling cut out. It dropped momentarily (from 4k rpm or so to less than 1k) and then picked back up. It reminded me of a Honda vtec at that moment when you let off the gas just as the vtec switches from 4 valves to 2 but only a lot more evident.
    I thought nothing of it, maybe bad gas and drove my car around for several more days, until...
    Today while going to the bank, my car just flat out came to a sputtering stop. Engine light went on, even. I managed to fire it back up but it would not idle, or at best it did very roughly. When I pressed the accelerator and increased revs it evened out somewhat although it was missing and sputtering. I managed to get it back home and noticed the smell of gasoline. I tried to start it again and it idled for a moment and then died. It wants to idle but in a loping fashion that causes all the warning lights to phase in and out. I am going to check battery connection, plugs, idle stabilizer and AFM in the morning but thought I would post this in case anyone can add any insight into my predicament. Thank you in advance.
    1988 325is
    5 speed
    155k miles
    K&N intake
    Chipped

PS. It always idled fine (cold) on start up. But then it would wander in rpms as it warmed up. Once it was warm the idle was fine (not always perfect; at times it seemed to be uneven as if there was an exhaust leak), but I did notice that it could have been smoother.
    1988 325is
    5 speed
    155k miles
    K&N intake
    Chipped

Comment

The action of the tachometer in the first event sounds like a failing CPS, which could also cause the other problems.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Thank you I will check on that. As it turns out my car came with some spare parts so I changed out the AFM twice as well as the idle stabilizer and still nothing. I then pulled the plugs and found every one of them fouled, but they were NGK rubbish so will soon be replaced. Working my way back toward the fuel tank I decided to change the fuel filter as I had 3 spares. I also noticed that the one that was in there was at least 20 years old! That seemed to be the issue. The car started and ran. I took it for a spin and it seems normal although I think that I may need to adjust fuel mix.
        1988 325is
        5 speed
        155k miles
        K&N intake
        Chipped

Comment

FYI, assuming they were the correct plugs, NGKs are good plugs. Those or Bosch coppers (NOT platinums) are the preferred plug for an M20.

Comment

Working...
          X