M52 overheating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M52 overheating?

I want to got look at a z3 with the m52 engine but one of the problems is that the temp gauge isn't working properly. According to the seller, the gauge will go into the red within a few seconds of the car being started, and then 30 seconds later go all the way to cold, and then it just stays there. The fuel gauge does the same.

He says that he's left the car idling for about a half hour with supposedly no issues. The coolant and the oil are not mixing. He's replaced all the cooling components also. Unfortunately the car has a bad clutch and can't be driven. The car was parked for about 12 years before the current owner acquired it without any history of it.

Is there any easy way to check and make sure the engine isn't overheating? Anything to look for to make sure it hasn't overheated in the past?
    Last edited by E30 Wagen; 07-25-2017, 09:32 PM.
    My Feedback

At minimum I would do a compression test and leak down test if possible.
    Shouldn't be to hard if the starter and battery are good.
    1988 325 non-letter Seta "Bronzit"
    1991 325ic "Laguna Green" (Sold)
    1993 325i "Laguna Green/Silver" (Sold)
    1998 528i "Artic Silver" m-sport(totalled by drunk driver)
    2000 528i Titansilber/gray m-sport
    2000 528i Titansilber/black m-sport(sold)
    2001 525i Anthracite m-sport(sold)
    2013 750i Black/Black m-sport "Beast"

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
      The car was parked for about 12 years before the current owner acquired it without any history of it.
      If that is the case I wouldn't even consider buying it. Only if it's free or close to that. Engines and cars don't like when they are not used and all the parts will get siezed after long periods without use. You will probably need to replace every moving part of the engine because once you start driving it, they will probaply fail one by one..

Comment

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
        If that is the case I wouldn't even consider buying it. Only if it's free or close to that. Engines and cars don't like when they are not used and all the parts will get siezed after long periods without use. You will probably need to replace every moving part of the engine because once you start driving it, they will probaply fail one by one..
        Are you talking about the rotating assembly, the cylinder walls or valve train? It has 120,000 miles so I was hoping I could get away without worrying about the VANOS, just replace some seals and enjoy it for another 30k miles then do a stroker build. He's asking $2000 for the whole car. It was originally acquired from an estate with over a dozen cars, apparently the prior owner tended to drive cars for only a year until he would simply buy another one and let the old ones sit. An aluminum m52 is the number one engine I want for my e30 and it'd be very convenient to have a complete donor car. Just not sure I trust the seller that the engine is healthy. If only it wasn't 3 hours away.
        My Feedback

Comment

If it runs and has been running a while all of the issues associated with the 12yr hiatus should have shown themselves.

What's a normal price for what you are looking at? 2k seems like a bargain if it runs drives and the body and interior are alright.

Comment

Actually I was wrong, the car hasn't been sitting for 12 years, just since 2012.

Anybody have any ideas to measure the engine temp? Friend of mine offered to lend me his heat gun but i'm wondering if it's possible to hook up a gauge right off the sensor?
            My Feedback

Comment

Working...
            X