Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance chip question

Hey guys :)

I'm looking to get a performance chip for my 318is. From what i gather, the best ones for this engine are the mark D chip, and the jim conforti chip right? So here are the questions:

1) is the mark d chip still in production? i can't find where to buy it. Also which chip do you think is the best?
    2) is there any other place than the US to get these chips? That would reduce the shipping and customs costs a lot. I'm in Europe btw
    3) Given that i'm in Europe, our gas is 95 or 98 octane. I use 98 octane mostly. From what i read, in the US the fuel is 91 octane right? Would that be a problem for the chip? (me using the 98 octane gas)

Thanks in advance! :)

1) Get a mark D, http://www3.sympatico.ca/mdsylva/products.htm
    2) really doubt you'll be able to find it over there but anything's possible.
    3)Your gas is measured differently your 98 is our 93. (lookup ron vs aki)

Comment

http://www3.sympatico.ca/mdsylva/ Is the site for the mark d chips. I would also check http://www.midnight-tuning.com I have heard he makes a good chip too and he will work with you on shipping and price. Your Euro octane ratings are not the same as the USA ratings. Your 95 is roughly 91US and your 98 is roughly 93US. With a euro car you might use a different program due to the lack of no O2 sensor. Hope that helps.

Edit Jonny - You beat me to it...

Comment

Is midnight tuning still around? He was getting good reviews from some people then just kind of disappeared. I've had his chip a few years, it seemed to help a bit and my engine hasn't blown up yet. Also check out sssquid tuning, he has an m42 chip which seems to be good too.
        sigpic
        1991 318is x 2 .

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyOg View Post
          1) Get a mark D, http://www3.sympatico.ca/mdsylva/products.htm
          2) really doubt you'll be able to find it over there but anything's possible.
          3)Your gas is measured differently your 98 is our 93. (lookup ron vs aki)
          First of all, thanks!

Is there a reason to choose the mark d over the conforti?
          Regarding the mark d one, I see that there are two versions for two types of fuel. If I choose one of them, will I only be able to use that fuel? Or maybe the 91 works with both?..
          Also, I see that the mark d one doesn't raise the Rev limiter, while the conforti does

Comment

If you buy the 91 chip you can always use 91 or higher octane without a problem. You obviously just don't want to use a 93 chip with 91 octane or it could cause detonation and pinging.

Comment

Originally posted by Dust2glory View Post
              If you buy the 91 chip you can always use 91 or higher octane without a problem. You obviously just don't want to use a 93 chip with 91 octane or it could cause detonation and pinging.
              Ah nice, that was exactly what i wanted to know. BUT, the 93 octane chip, with 93 octane fuel, (against the 91 chip with 93 fuel) gives better performance right? If not there would only be one model i assume
              How much of a difference would this be?

Comment

the 93 chip should get better performance indeed.
                I personally have a conny chip from germany (coneus on ebay) and i´m very pleased about it. never had a MarkD chip sadly, I want to try it if it wasn´t that expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by MVincken View Post
                  the 93 chip should get better performance indeed.
                  I personally have a conny chip from germany (coneus on ebay) and i´m very pleased about it. never had a MarkD chip sadly, I want to try it if it wasn´t that expensive.
                  Do you have more info on your chip? Do you think it gives the same performance gains as a mark d?

Also, can you send me a link please? :p

Comment

this is his user profile: http://www.ebay.de/usr/coneus
                    he claimed 12 hp and 15 tq i beleive, i don´t know if it´s better or worse than markd, but i sure noticed some good torque and hp improvements.
                    I also notice a drop in fuel consumption, last week I drove less aggresive than normal and i reached 12.8 km/L. first this was 11.5 without the chip.

but i have a completely rebuild engine, this should help a lot too.

Comment

he offered more chips by the way, and you can just contact him with your requirements.
                      i have done my research and on multible german forums i have never read a bad comment about him.
                      just 1 thing: his chips go to 7400 rpm, if you want to keep it save i recommend you let him change it to 7000 or so.

Comment

sorry but i am not very experienced with using ebay. He doesn't have the product up for sale? I need to ask him for it specifically?

Comment

yes i checked it too, and it seemes that he isn´t selling one at the moment, but i know for sure he has de map digital, and only needs to make the chip.
                          i don´t think it will be a big problem for him, just send him an email (Kontakt) on the right of his name.

goodluck

Comment

thank you! i will hit him up and see what he can do

Comment

Working...
                            X