Inspecting an M42's longevity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inspecting an M42's longevity

I'm going to be buying a 150k M42 car in about a weeks time or so. I'm looking for something that won't be extremely problematic, basically an engine that I can rely on giving me long road trips with little to no trouble. What's the best way to inspect the longevity of the M42? I'm sure its on its original timing chain/rails/guides, but I'll be giving it a new tensioner ASAP.
    Originally posted by TSI
    ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
    OEM+

Check Crank end-play if you're thrust bearing is shot (most are at that mileage) you will be able to move the crank a hefty amount.
    1991 BMW 318is Track Car-NEEDS ITBS AND STANDALONE!!
    1997 BMW 328i Daily Driver-like buttah..

Comment

Originally posted by carnurd View Post
      Check Crank end-play if you're thrust bearing is shot (most are at that mileage) you will be able to move the crank a hefty amount.
      So a good tug on the harmonic balancer?
      Originally posted by TSI
      ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
      OEM+

Comment

As I am looking to assess crank end play as well I was told by a 50 year independant bmw mechanic that the two tests he recommends are:

1. Inspect the oil filter - remove and replace - cut open old filter and examine with high intensity light (headlamp, worklamp etc ...) - look for visible signs of ring, piston, or crank material.

2. With the engine off - Use a reference point such as a marked painters stick next to the harmonic balancer - depress the clutch. Any small amount of movement on the clutch side of the crank will show up in the movement of the HB.

If you think I'm whacked with any of this, PM me and I will provide you his contact info. Note he is located in WA.

Gerta
        Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

The M42 is a very reliable motor. Mine has 70k on it tho, the Previous owner replaced the original engine at 260k after the chain blew apart.

You can take the Valve Cover off and inspect the timing gears. Sharp gears indicate warn timing components.
          1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
          1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
          1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
          1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Originally posted by carnurd View Post
            Check Crank end-play if you're thrust bearing is shot (most are at that mileage)
            Not in my experience. m42's will go 300k+ without a teardown so long as you change the oil and refrain from constantly beating the living shit out of it.

Comment

262k and going strong. i bump 6k all day long.:p
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
              IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Mine is at 288k and some change in my daily. I'll have to do the endplay check though, just to satisfy my curiousity.

Comment

im close to 400k and still going strong
                  Originally posted by bmwm42
                  PNW vulture pm me for parts
                  Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

I'm sure its on its original timing chain/rails/guides,
                    then I would plan on replacing at least the rails. 99.39% of the cam chain failures
                    are from the rails coming apart and getting ground up in the chains....

...and once you're in there, it's hard not to replace the whole mess.

Then (with the thrust bearing issue in mind) they're pretty darned durable.

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by Ryann View Post
                      refrain from constantly beating the living shit out of it.

That is easier said then done.
                      sigpic

Comment

^that's so true. Fwiw, mines at almost 200k, the chain sprockets are perfect, it pulls strong, burns no oil, and is stunningly clean under the valve cover. You will have to deal with the mess under the intake obviously...which I'm doing right now :(
                        The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                        Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                        2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                        2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

had 325K on my first M42 and only got rid of it cause the body had unrepairable rust. I have 170K on my second m42 and it just made it from boston to myrtle beach to atlanta, then back to boston and down to NYC and back to boston all within 2 weeks and one oil change.
                          1991 318is ---230K - DD
                          1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                          so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

I loved mine for the 30k some miles I put on it. Very reliable, albeit underpowered.

I'm sure you know, but some of these items weren't mentioned:

-The upper oil pan bolts also like to fall out, so drop the lower pan and check those when you get the car.
                            -Do the mess under the intake.
                            -Check the timing chain sprockets.
                            -If the car ever fails to start, check the crank position sensor.

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
                            '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
                            '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
                            '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Ryann View Post
                              Not in my experience. m42's will go 300k+ without a teardown so long as you change the oil and refrain from constantly beating the living shit out of it.
                              You can't find m42's with less than 150k on the clock anymore. Onto of which most of those cars are not driven by people who change the oil every 5k. Also my m42 only sees the track so beating the shit out of the engine happens all the time. As the replacement thrust bearing is a 360deg bearing that points to a factory installed weak point that they fixed in later models.

Just my 2c
                              1991 BMW 318is Track Car-NEEDS ITBS AND STANDALONE!!
                              1997 BMW 328i Daily Driver-like buttah..

Comment

Working...
                              X