No announcement yet.

Failed NJ inspection again. Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright, I checked the TPS using jlevie's method, it seems to be working. Fuel pressure is 38psi at idle, 45psi at full load. Will check the other suggestions later.

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
    I realize you have looked at ignition with a scope, but if more than five years old I'd replace the ignition wires, distributor cap, and rotor. I don't know what plugs you used, but if not the correct Bosch or NGK plug, replace them.

Were the replacement injectors new or rebuilt parts? If not send your old injectors to RC Engineering, have them rebuilt, and install those.
    The PO told me the ignition components are new, since he too was chasing down the problem. Spark plugs should be the correct ones, but I'll double check.

We flow tested the injectors before installing them, so they should all be good. We did find a few bad ones, but those were replaced with good ones. However, they are used, not new or rebuilt. Will look into that after I rule out everything else, since I don't want to spend more money than I already have if I don't need to.

Originally posted by long tall eta View Post
    is the car chipped? and would that have anything to do with it?
    Nope, it's bone stock.

Originally posted by Thizzelle View Post
    check ICV, Injectors, air flow sensor (make sure plate isn't binding inside) also check coolant temp sensor (there's 2 brown goes to your gauge, blue goes to DME)
    I believe the these are all good, not sure about the temp sensor. I'll check.
    Last edited by rturbo 930; 03-15-2012, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyE30autox View Post
      Leave NJ?
      Exactly my thoughts..
      1989 M3
      2008 135i 6sp

Comment

I know this is an old thread but did you ever get to the bottom of this?

Comment

Nope, still runs like shit even though it's not even the same motor in it now.

I have no idea what's wrong.

Comment

I guess the only things left to swap out are DME and engine harness? haha

Comment

Yeah, I dunno dude. New gaskets, a bunch of stuff has been tested working, etc. Still haven't done a smoke test, but more and more things seem to be going wrong on the car and I've pretty much washed my hands of it. The idea was to get it running reliably so I could DD it, and move onto other projects. Instead, it decided it wants ALL of my attention, and I'm not having that.

Oh, and the new (used) motor that I put all new bearings in sounds like it has a rod knock, which is why I had to replace the old one to begin with. That was the cherry on top. I'm done with it.

Comment

Working...
              X