1991 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 318is

Already posted on bimmerforums, but I'll post here too. Introducing the newest addition to my family. 110k on the clock. I found her in CT where she had been stopped for 2 years. No rust in sight and the interior is PERFECT.

All she needs is some maintenance and some tasteful mods. Your opinions are very welcome here.
    -Filipe

well yea... that... thanks for reminding me lol. I was referring mostly to the seats and general appearance. But yes it is Brilliantrot. Needs some buffing to bring back the color
    -Filipe

Comment

I'd just add that you should use a quality wax or polymer sealant on the paint after the Meguiar's 205 polish. It'll look HOT, and last a long time.

When the car starts/runs, do you hear any weird grinding or "diesel" sounding noises? If so, you need to replace the timing chain tensioner piston ASAP. It is a $40, 5 minute repair that can save you a whole weekend & $500 in parts. If possible, ask the previous owner when they last replaced the timing chain tensioner piston. If they don't know, then just do it anyway.
      INA Chain Tensioner Piston Timing Chain InStock Ships Today!. Call (310)626-8765. May Qualify For FREE SHIPPING. Parts# 11 31 1 743 187 11-31-1-743-187 11.31.1.743.187 11311743187 4005108142153 551 0008 100 551-0008-100 551.0008.100 5510008100 670774252730. Z3, 318ti, 318is, 318i.

Oh, and check out www.m42club.com too for 318iS-specific tech info. Between here & there, you are COVERED.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
        I'd just add that you should use a quality wax or polymer sealant on the paint after the Meguiar's 205 polish. It'll look HOT, and last a long time.

When the car starts/runs, do you hear any weird grinding or "diesel" sounding noises? If so, you need to replace the timing chain tensioner piston ASAP. It is a $40, 5 minute repair that can save you a whole weekend & $500 in parts. If possible, ask the previous owner when they last replaced the timing chain tensioner piston. If they don't know, then just do it anyway.
        INA Chain Tensioner Piston Timing Chain InStock Ships Today!. Call (310)626-8765. May Qualify For FREE SHIPPING. Parts# 11 31 1 743 187 11-31-1-743-187 11.31.1.743.187 11311743187 4005108142153 551 0008 100 551-0008-100 551.0008.100 5510008100 670774252730. Z3, 318ti, 318is, 318i.

Oh, and check out www.m42club.com too for 318iS-specific tech info. Between here & there, you are COVERED.
        It needs M105 on it too, maybe with a medium pad. Should cut the clear nicely. Followed by M205, it'll look amazing. Tech Wax is a decent cheap wax to put on it.
        RIP: Delphin '89 E30 with S50 swap and lots of goodies :'(

Then: '04 Evo 8 RS, 500 whp/420 wtq 2900 lb E85 AWD turbo shits 'n giggles

Now: 2003 BMW M5 in Sterling Gray

Comment

Originally posted by DisgustipatedAP1 View Post
          It needs M105 on it too, maybe with a medium pad. Should cut the clear nicely. Followed by M205, it'll look amazing. Tech Wax is a decent cheap wax to put on it.
          Single stage paint-- no clear.

M105/205 are great products. Might I suggest Collinite #845 as an excellent, very long lasting wax after polishing. Just remember, a little goes a long way.

Comment

Was this on CL? Im PISSED i missed it. Ive been looking for a red E30 FOREVERRRRRRR.

Good luck with it, Clean as hell!!!!
            1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
            1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
            1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
            1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

I've been told that mine has an original IS lip. You cant really see it from the pictures.

I've cleaned the carpets thoroughly but the damn thing is still dirty, I'll probably end up replacing the whole things as well as checking for rust under the carpet. I'm only doing maintenance for the next few months and then enjoying the shit out of a problem free car. The mods thing I meant is wayyyy down the road. Eventually I want to go s50 or s52.

I've never actually waxed a car... but i've been reading alot and everything you guys say is what i've read so theres not too much i can screw up there.

The car makes NO noises. My radio is off so I've been driving just listening to every little thing, but all I hear is the fuel pump at idle. and when it starts going it just sounds perfect. But i will still get that tensioner done. I just did all the other belts so might as well.

Thanks TimK! It was listed as a convertible so I doubt you would have seen it lol (unless thats what youre looking for) It was pure dumb luck that i found it.
              Last edited by fdourado; 05-18-2012, 05:49 AM. Reason: forgot to add something
              -Filipe

Comment

Nice score! The color comes back to life fairly easily. You'll need more than wax to bring back the shine though. I used a random orbital buffer, each panel got two passes of a 3M perfect it compound, then two passes of 3M machine polish followed with a couple coats of wax. You'll have to keep up on waxing and maybe some light hand polishing or the haze will come back. It's worth the effort, this color really shines when polished up.

Here's mine.

My car looked worse than yours when I bought it. Good luck and keep us posted! :up:
                Here's my thread I made while working on mine, might be some helpful detailing tips in there for you.
                91 318is M50 swapped
                05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

wow that came out great. I'm pretty sure i stumbled across your thread a month ago. great job. I'll definitely be using your thread and many others. Once i get some actual work done and have plenty of pics ill start a build thread. Thank you for your input
                  -Filipe

Comment

start waxing and post pictures up. Car looks great.

Comment

That is an i lip, not an iS. iS looks like this:

That eBay ad is also wrong, i/iS lips only fit late model 89-92 cars.

As far as cleaning the carpet goes, pull it out and use a pressure washer on it. Works great and really gets it clean. Just make sure you let it completely dry before putting it back in.

Comment

if you dont mind, how much did you pick it up for? I saw this but couldnt make the drive down there in time apparently! I have a brillantrot 318iS and I'm in medford, My paint is beat to shit but its getting a full proper respray sometime towards the end of june.
                        1991 318is ---230K - DD
                        1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                        so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

I'm just gonna take a picture when I get out of work, because the picture you just posted makes me think thats what I have.

I picked it up for $2600. I keep kicking myself because i could have gotten it for 2500 but my negotiation skills suck
                          -Filipe

Comment

That's a steal for a running good condition 318is
                            Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

Working...
                            X