X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
    You can spend some time here and answer your questions:
    http://oldmary.lqhome.com:16080/~jor...mine/index.php
    nice gallery, but the only car you rebuild according to the photos is the e30.
    I don't see any photos of your welding - did I miss them ?
    gary muwaut

89 325ic / 05 325i

Comment

I've done plenty of welding, just not halfass patching. I'd prefer total out a car long before I did that, which is exactly what happened to my E21 project car which I had intended a complete resto for. When I saw the patching it would require (not 25% as bad as yours) I junked the car. Fact of the matter is a patched car is just that, no where near as good as the factory, and no two ways about it as far as I'm concerned.. a junker.

Again though.. I wasn't looking for a fight, but if you chose to continue making smart ass replies I can find the time to waste a bunch of yours.
      Last edited by Jordan; 12-16-2007, 01:44 AM.
      Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
      https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
        I've done plenty of welding, just not halfass patching. I'd prefer total out a car long before I did that, which is exactly what happened to my E21 project car which I had intended a complete resto for. When I saw the patching it would require (not 25% as bad as yours) I junked the car. Fact of the matter is a patched car is just that, no where near as good as the factory, and no two ways about it as far as I'm concerned.. a junker.

Again though.. I wasn't looking for a fight, but if you chose to continue making smart ass replies I can find the time to waste a bunch of yours.
        How can you be sure of my welding skills - did you see my welding ?
        I learned from an older guy who was welding for Krupp.

I was not looking for a fight, but asked for answers, which you didn't really provide.

Most of rebuild cars have patchwork done so I am not the first and last one.
        Also if you notice most of BMWs are machine spot welded and don't have continuos welds, which are stronger but more expensive.

You attacked me stating that it is impossible for a repaired car to be as good as new and stronger based on few photos. You didn't provide any experience other than photos of the car you could have rebuild in a shop or with somebody with skills. Based on the photos, I can state that your e30 is nothing more than poorly redone e30 with cheap fiberglass pieces - am I right ? probably not. I can also state that you gave up on E21 because of lack of skills - am I right ?

Ask questions before you start criticism and be ready to provide back up for your claims - e.g. how welding destroys metal, how patches don't work etc.

Remember not all comments to other's work need to be negative.
        gary muwaut

89 325ic / 05 325i

Comment

and you wonder why people think your a dick and hate you Jordan!!
          just because the car was welded doesnt for one second make it a "junker"-regardless of how much welding.

nice progress by the way.
          I replaced the complete floor section on my fathers 1956 sedan delivery a few years back, (it was in 4 pieces, and the braces)and if you really want, you could make it to look like nothing was ever welded in there with enough work.

just ignore jordan, hes just upset because he has a bent valance that he doesnt care about

Comment

I want to see a turbo M10 in there - it'll make more power than an M50 swap and probably cost less :p
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Thank you for your kind words.

I bought rusty 84 318i instead of minty 91 318is, because I wanted a project not a show car. My car will be a summer fun driver for me, my wife and soon be daughter.

Cars get welded all the time and it is a fact. If I wanted mint e30, I would have bought one.
              gary muwaut

89 325ic / 05 325i

Comment

Good work man
                youre saving the namesake of this board from the junkyard and you get shit for it i actually would like some pointers as i have a rusty floor pan as well
                i will agree on leaving the m10 out though do an M/S50 or other swap it would be a shame to restore the whole thing and put the m10 back
                Are you changing to disc brakes?
                I don't think your mom appreciates the value of those modifications

Comment

good job. Dont let anyone get you down, the project car is just that. A project.

I dont see why there is the hate, if hes saving one more old bimmer from the junk yard, I dont see why not.

Comment

Originally posted by Brinkley View Post
                    Good work man
                    youre saving the namesake of this board from the junkyard and you get shit for it i actually would like some pointers as i have a rusty floor pan as well
                    i will agree on leaving the m10 out though do an M/S50 or other swap it would be a shame to restore the whole thing and put the m10 back
                    Are you changing to disc brakes?

Thanks.

As to floor repairs, it is not hard as long as you do it slow and piece by piece.

M10 will mostlikely be swapped for M20 that I have.

The entire suspension/braking is from 325e so rear will have discs.
                    gary muwaut

89 325ic / 05 325i

Comment

Originally posted by mudflaps View Post
                      good job. Dont let anyone get you down, the project car is just that. A project.

I dont see why there is the hate, if hes saving one more old bimmer from the junk yard, I dont see why not.
                      Thanks, I am always willing to learn, but criticism has to have bases.
                      gary muwaut

89 325ic / 05 325i

Comment

Originally posted by Zorin View Post

If I wanted a mint e30, I would have bought one.
                        My feelings exactly on project/fun cars. And on the subject of patching-here in New England, it's pretty much a given on fixing/modding or restoring old iron. MIG welders and a little sheet metal skill are pretty much a must own in the garage for us. If we junked everything that needed patching there wouldn't be many cars around older than 95's :( . Keep us up-dated!

Chris

p.s. as I was typing this another truck rolled by blasting salt/calcium on the street...winter blows
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster Inc View Post
                          My feelings exactly on project/fun cars. And on the subject of patching-here in New England, it's pretty much a given on fixing/modding or restoring old iron. MIG welders and a little sheet metal skill are pretty much a must own in the garage for us. If we junked everything that needed patching there wouldn't be many cars around older than 95's :( . Keep us up-dated!

Chris

p.s. as I was typing this another truck rolled by blasting salt/calcium on the street...winter blows
                          Yes, MIG welder (Lincoln for me) and sheet metal can make anything like new - regardless of what people say. Patchwork on cars is here to stay as not all of us live in tropical-like climates.

As to snow, we got good 20cm overnight so I had a nice workout in the morning. It keeps snowing so more workouts are to be have :)
                          gary muwaut

89 325ic / 05 325i

Comment

Many older cars has patch panels in them. I'm glad that your welding new metal in it instead of just fiberglassing over the holes or just riveting a steet sign over the hole. Although i'm not to for sure about the car sitting on it's side. But then again not everyone can afford a rotisserie.

1992 BMW 325iC
                            1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                            1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                              Many older cars has patch panels in them. I'm glad that your welding new metal in it instead of just fiberglassing over the holes or just riveting a steet sign over the hole. Although i'm not to for sure about the car sitting on it's side. But then again not everyone can afford a rotisserie.
                              Thank you.
                              The car is resting on 2 6 x 6 blocks and it is old school way that works.
                              gary muwaut

89 325ic / 05 325i

Comment

Definitely better to restore than junk. Keep up the good work man!
                                I don't think your mom appreciates the value of those modifications

Comment

Working...
                                X