No announcement yet.

Budget stroker time....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ya I can't wait to get it in, the whole reason I went this route was to get the torque and hp. I could of picked up a super eta bottom end, and thrown the I head on, but I didn't want to mess with shaving, decking, adjustable cam gear, etc....
    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

not to put down the work you did, but you got the polishing part backwards.. you are not supposed to polish the intake ports, only the exhaust. if you roughed them up again with 80 grit though they would be perfect.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

from the pictures i've seen its more then adaqute for fuel atomization, maybe if he had a close up of the port into the combustion chamber we can make a better judgement. these pictures don't really do justice.
        Cam .W '91 325is

Spaz's 1991 Alpine White???? S52 Build Thread...

Comment

I don't get it.

How is this a "stroker motor" if you aren't increasing the stroke.

Porting the head is good and all, but I wouldn't call it a stroker.

Let me know if I simply missed something...

-Erik

Comment

Originally posted by erik325i
            I don't get it.

How is this a "stroker motor" if you aren't increasing the stroke.

Porting the head is good and all, but I wouldn't call it a stroker.

Let me know if I simply missed something...

-Erik

Its a buget stroker, using the bottom end of a eta engine(m20b27) which has a longer stroke then later (m20b25) motors, and then use the head off of a later 325i with the (m20b25) which are seen in 325i's.

325e (m20b27)
            bore: 84mm
            stroke: 81mm

325i (m20b25)
            bore: 84mm
            stroke: 75mm

But all ely is doing is moding the head to i specs and keeping the bottom end the same.
            Last edited by Spaz; 07-20-2006, 12:29 AM.
            Cam .W '91 325is

Spaz's 1991 Alpine White???? S52 Build Thread...

Comment

Originally posted by Spaz
              Its a buget stroker, using the bottom end of a eta engine(m20b27) which has a longer stroke then later (m20b25) motors, and then he is using the head off of a later 325i with the (m20b25) which are seen in 325i's.

add some tid bits, the motronic from the later head and pistons and thats how you make a budget stroker.
              But it started out as an m20b27 eta motor ('86 325es).
              It still has the stock eta block, with stock eta crank, with a modified eta head.

The stroke is still 81mm. The displacement is still 2.7L

I'm not saying that this is a bad motor, but I wouldn't call it a "stroker". That's just me though. It's your motor, so call it whatever you want.

-Erik

Comment

I've heard mixed reviews about polishing the intake ports, some say do, some say don't. I decide too, so we'll see what happens :D
                Basically the engine is a budget 2.7i so i'd consider it a stroker, even though the stroke is the same as it was to start with. Like Spaz said instead of ussing the 325i head and loosing cr ratio, I decided to modify an eta head to match an I head as close as possible.

Comment

Most all the lower end gaskets, and seals are in place, and I took some time to clean up the pistons. I think I know why the cylinder head looked mint, I found 3 love tap marks on the exhuast side of the pistons, so I'm thinking maybe the t-belt snapped or something at some point in it's life.

Hopefully the cylidner head will be done in the next few days.

Comment

Looking good so far. Any luck so far on repairing your front end?

Comment

It's all fixed, I still have the hood left to do.

Comment

Looks alot better. The hood doesn't look that bad.

Have you ever considered painting your kidney grill black?

Comment

nope, i think it would look odd with the chrome euro bumper.

Comment

Well only 2.5 weeks latter I finally got the head back :roll: This shop does good work, and is ussualy quick but this time they just dragged there feet. Any ways now I can finally start assembling the engine and getting it swapped into my car before school starts back up.
                            Here are some comparison shots of the head versus the 325i one above it

Comment

Just finished, putting the head all back together

I did confirm the fact that this head was fully rebuilt in the past. Once the shop cleaned it I found a tag glued on from another local machine shop. :)

Comment

By chance, do you have a pic of the "i" and the "e" heads' combustion chambers, side by side?

I really like the rectangular shape of the "i" head intake port. I see you tried to emulate that...good job!

Luke

Closing SOON!
                                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
                                X