M20 engine weight...plus pic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 engine weight...plus pic

So I actually weighed my M20, pretty much as it's found in the engine bay. Weight is in kilograms:

The flywheel was removed...all the ancillaries still attached...even has oil in it. I am not sure anyone has actually weighed a fully dressed M20 before (couldn't find it in a search anyway), but I've always wondered if the typically quoted figure of 117kg was a bare M20 or not...I'm confident to say 117kg is a bare weight. I plan on weighing the M52 before it goes into the engine bay for comparison.

roughly 400 lbs......cast iron ftmfl

Comment

Great work, Drew! I don't think I've seen a fully dressed weight of an M20 either.

I did see a weight for a fully dressed M42 with transmission, though. It was 427 lbs with intake and transmission, and since the transmission weighed 68 lbs, the engine itself was around 359 lb (163 kg). This information was reported by Vorshlag Motorsport.

Originally posted by whysimon
      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

117 is a long motor with no fluids.

from the list

Engine weights are for a dry engine with no manifolds, starter motor, alternator, etc.
        Just a little project im working on
        - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

And just cus I have the pic handy...Getrag 260+fluid

Comment

a super eta block with rods, pistons, oil pan, was 197 pounds

Comment

I weighed the M52B28 today...did my best to do everything the same as when I weighed the M20...the only difference is that the M52 has no oil, no wiring harness, and no throttle body (the alternator is there, but buried under the M50 manifold in the pic)...can't really think of anything else significantly different between the two engines that'd mess with the weight result:

I was honestly quite surprised by the result...I didn't think there'd be much difference but, 30kg is a fair bit. Maybe 20kg with the M52 in a running state.

Oh...and I have the VAC motorsport billet oil filter housing on the M52, instead of the OEM one...so that'd be a bit lighter than an OEM M52.

Comment

Nice! m52 aluminum block ftw :D
                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Wait you have the Alum M52 outta the Z3?

Check Us out on Facebook
                  Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                  Full Product Line Tuning
                  OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Yeah it's Z3 or 528i...not 100% sure...either way, definitely alloy block.

Comment

Noice

Check Us out on Facebook
                      Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                      Full Product Line Tuning
                      OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Wow, internet hearsay always led me to believe that the m20 and alum m52 weighed the same. 55lbs is a pretty huge difference.

As time went on, the factory developed the car each year, making it faster, more comfortable, and capable of handling at higher speeds.
                        You don’t want this. You want the trickiest, most dangerous, oldest model you can find. Only then can you prove to the world that you’re a man.

Comment

What about the weight of an S50 or 52? Are they the same alloy block? So they would have a similiar weight?
                          Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                          Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

does anyone have the actual photo of this saved? gotta love photobucket un hosting shit lately

apexgoblin - versteht nicht jeder. Ist auch besser so!

Comment

I think Digger has a picture of an M20 on a scale.
                              "And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
                              2002 E39 M5

Comment

Working...
                              X