HELP with e36 M-sport steering wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP with e36 M-sport steering wheel

This issue is not for e30, but for my 97 e36 m3 that came with 3 spoke M-sport wheel and air bag of course.
    I got freshly wrapped wheel(3 spoke) to replace the old one. My wheel has a slip ring but the one I got looks like came off e38 or e39 that don't have slip rings, it just has straight connecting wire. Can I just use the connecting wire from e38 or e39 for everything to function properly on the 97 e36 m3??
    Please chime in who has run into this or knows about slip rings and stuff.
    Thx a bunch!!

Here is the back of both wheels. One on the left is mine original and on the right is a new one

Comment

Anyone can shine any light on this? ;-(

Comment

The new wheel you have is from a dual stage airbag e39 or e38, which is why the slipring won't bolt up right. You probably don't want to get into splicing wires and such. The wheel you would need should come from an e36 or 3/99 or earlier e39 car. Most of the slip rings are interchangeable. That way it'll have the same slip ring assembly like the wheel you've got on the existing e36 wheel. For example, the 4 spoke e36 wheel slip ring bolts up to the euro e36 3 spoke wheel (this is what I did), but double check part numbers as the US 3 spoke had a different part number last I checked. Sucks since you have a pretty nice looking wheel there!

Check out this link, helped me identify the differences:
        Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
          The new wheel you have is from a dual stage airbag e39 or e38, which is why the slipring won't bolt up right. You probably don't want to get into splicing wires and such. The wheel you would need should come from an e36 or 3/99 or earlier e39 car. Most of the slip rings are interchangeable. That way it'll have the same slip ring assembly like the wheel you've got on the existing e36 wheel. For example, the 4 spoke e36 wheel slip ring bolts up to the euro e36 3 spoke wheel (this is what I did), but double check part numbers as the US 3 spoke had a different part number last I checked. Sucks since you have a pretty nice looking wheel there!

Check out this link, helped me identify the differences:
          http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...steering-wheel
          Thank you so much for the info, much appreciated!
          So looks like there is no way to make it work, how about if I get an airbag from a dual stage wheel with its wiring??

Comment

You can wire it up, but probably more trouble than it's worth. Then again I'm kind of afraid of electrical splicing and such. I've seen e46 steering wheels mounted on e36's including the airbag, but I'm not sure how well it turned out in terms of actually working properly. Perhaps take your existing wheel and have it reupholstered and sell the one you bought. That way everything is plug and play, and reversible if you need to go back in there later for some reason or another. Just my

--Joey

Comment

Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
              You can wire it up, but probably more trouble than it's worth. Then again I'm kind of afraid of electrical splicing and such. I've seen e46 steering wheels mounted on e36's including the airbag, but I'm not sure how well it turned out in terms of actually working properly. Perhaps take your existing wheel and have it reupholstered and sell the one you bought. That way everything is plug and play, and reversible if you need to go back in there later for some reason or another. Just my

--Joey
              no, don't wanna mess with airbag wiring either.. thx anyway!

Comment

anybody else?

Comment

Bump??

Comment

Does anybody else knows about this before I try to return it?? It's a damn fine wheel..;-(

Comment

I guess gotta return it or maybe somebody interested with e38/9 ??

Comment

Hmmmm I have an early E39 so I'd be interested in your old wheel. what's the matter with it?
                        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Old one is off e36 and it's not for sale as I don't have a substitute

Comment

anybody interested in e39 wheel??

Comment

Working...
                            X