Hmm What are these wires for...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm What are these wires for...

Hey, so i have these wires in my dash near the steering wheel and I don't have the slightest clue what they are for...

The first is this orange connecter that surprisingly isn't connected to anything. its hanging right by the steering wheel shaft.

The next is a yellow wire that appears to connect into something with another wire pictured below... Funny thing is, is that yellow wire doesn't connect anything. When i got the car the yellow wire went through the dash and ended near the head unit.

As you see here this is where is comes out...

Also for bonus points anyone know what these wires coming off the head unit going to nothing are? lol Theres a black one coming off the brown ground and a red one coming off one of the speaker things...

I hope someone can tell me what the orange connector and the yellow wire are for lol Cause they look important unless they are from something the previous owner installed. He does have a charging cable with a fuse hooked into the system.

The orange plug goes to your airbag (if you have one). The yellow wire is an always on power wire to your radio to keep its memory when you turn the key off. It goes to a 25 pin connector that's mounted on the firewall behind the clutch pedal. I'd say the spliced on red and black wires are something a PO did to get power and ground for something that's been since removed.
    Last edited by vpilarrt; 03-26-2015, 04:49 AM.

Comment

My car sounds sketchy... Im not sure if my car does have an air bag. i didn't think it did but then why would i have that plug?.. This is the wheel thats in my car but it was swapped in. so I'm actually supposed to have an air bag i guess. Shouldn't there be a light on for the airbag not being there then?

And now I'm really confused because my stereo does get power lol Now i don't understand how its getting power.. And when i shut the car off it doesn't reset or anything. Why is my car so strange :(

Comment

Oh i think my radio is powered by the white wire if i recall. Im worrying what else ill find

Comment

I believe the airbag advisory is srs and it'll be flashing on the digital readout above the rearview mirror

Comment

POs are fun. Pull the bottom of the back seat up and see if any of those extra wires go through there. It might have been a remote turn-on for an amplifier or cd changer (a really old cd changer).
            FS NY: two Audiobahn A235HC amps and audiobahn 1farad capacitor
            Saab/GM tech2 programming
            My for sale thread
            1990 325iX for sale or part out
            Did you buy something from me? Please leave feedback!

Originally posted by K20RI_211
            And I have to ask if you make a hobby out of thread-bombing with retarded questions?

Comment

Hi
              I don't understand ur problem BT this is the best platform to solve any problem.you also can find ur answer at classical platform.
              top ten classified website

Comment

I don't see any wires under the carpet or anything haha I just have everything pulled up cleaning the carpet and all that junk. He did have a charger spliced in in the drivers foot well so I might repurpuse that for a gopro or a phone charger lol I don't understand why he'd cut the wire for memory for the radio lol it was just hanging behind the radio with no tape or anything on it...

Comment

Working...
                X