No announcement yet.

88 IX Rescue/Roadtrip!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a tube of the molykote lube and it is already at my dads house with full intention to pull out the front shaft and lubricate it. The tires are all new and matching actually... which is nice for sure! It is getting real... I just called and put insurance on it.... headed to the tax office in a bit to get the 30 day tag for it! Super stoked and also nervous...

Comment

So far it's gone well... Flight was delayed 2.5 hours for some mechanical problem. Then enterprise said they didn't have any cars for us... So currently sitting in Bojangles (thank yah Jesus for Cajun filet biscuits) waiting in my dad to come down to get us

Comment

dont forget to take pictures!
        325IX Build Thread
        RX7 Build Thread

Comment

We are taking plenty of pics and vids! Current status though... one of the rear calipers had a bleeder screw broken off flush with the caliper... and we have to leave Monday at the latest... and no one can get us one till Wednesday... Anyone know of a place in the eastern Carolina area I might could score a caliper? Or are any of you near that area that I could buy one from you possibly? Thanks!

Comment

Okay. Updates! We are just about finished with the main rear line... we have to make up 2 more rear hardlines and then the rear is done... All the corners have new pads and rotors and soft lines installed. Oreiley got us both rear calipers by 4pm today! So we are actually good to there as well. We are headed to bed shortly and then should be able to get done tomorrow and get out of town I am hopeful... Thanks again guys for everything! So far this is going pretty well with just a couple hiccups.

Comment

Good progress.
              AWD > RWD

Comment

Nice, good luck! :)
                E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
                E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
                E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Okay so updates! We got the hard lines fixed. We also were able to get all of the fluids int he driveline checked after fighting for a bit with the fill plugs on the rear diff and transmission. Everything was full except for the transfer case. We filled the T case and also pulled the front drive shaft out, it had lube on it still presumably from PO? We cleaned it up a bit and put more lube on it, the shaft and gear look to be in great shape! Changed the oil and checked all other fluids. Got the brakes bled and went for a drive finally. It feels super solid now and stops good etc. I finally got to drive it somewhat hard after I felt confident that it was running well and stopping good. I may already love it... It has a scorpion exhaust on it that sounds amazing! Anyway, so we got all cleaned up last night and are headed out here shortly. I will update throughout the day. We are headed I believe I-40 through TN. Its shorter distance but a tad more time, a lot more things to see going that way than what seems like forever on i20 past Birmingham.

Comment

We came through Nashville maybe 30mins ago... Getting about 24mpg! Gas gauge is super inaccurate though... Otherwise running good! Temp gauge is up towards the 3/4 mark when we go up hills but comes down between half and 3/4 on downhills and straits... Keeping an eye in it for now...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Comment

sweet. if you haven't passed memphis yet, stop in and get a slab of ribs. the blue dog cafe is a good choice on beal street.

24 mpg is pretty insane for an ix.

when you have time, check the viscous fan clutch. that may be the reason its running warmer than it should. perhaps the thermostat too.

anyway, you should be out of the mountains by now. mostly flater sailing from west tennessee on.
                      sigpic
                      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Flyboy... We like totally screwed up our food schedule and were not even hungry then... But now that sounds amazing!!!! Nomnomnom.....

Yah I thought 24mpg was pretty good as well! I'm super stoked about it. Yah I'm thinking maybe that... The problem sort of solved itself later? We currently have the hood strapped in the unlatched position and that helped it keep cool a fair bit as well.

We are between little rock and arkadelphia at the moment... Like 3 hours of driving left! Other than the slight hiccup with the cooling system it has been an absolute joy to drive across the country in this thing!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like you made it. Congrats. You might just need to bleed it again. But when it's running see if you can stop the fan with a rolled up newspaper.

I'm not sure i buy 24mpg in the mountains though. It's that what the obc says or is that calculateday between fills up?
                          AWD > RWD

Comment

We did make it yes! Still doing something weird in the coolant system... Ill figure it out in the coming days... probably should start a build thread I reckon. I will try that test today on it... I suspect the clutch is flaky actually...

The ODO does not work... so our calculations were based on rough distance from the last city we got gas and how many gallons... it was consistently between 21-25 for the roadtrip back. It would obviously not get that in town or anything but with the cruise set on 70 it was pretty good! We did 350 miles and added 14.7 gallons so that comes out right at like 23-24mpg... thats before we had to strap the hood in the open position though :p

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                              Sounds like you made it. Congrats. You might just need to bleed it again. But when it's running see if you can stop the fan with a rolled up newspaper.

I'm not sure i buy 24mpg in the mountains though. It's that what the obc says or is that calculateday between fills up?
                              I've gotten similar driving up to mountains, consistently, too, calculated through fillups. I'm not a slow driver, but I stay under 80.

As did my friend when he drove it up last weekend.

My car has a slight vacuum leak, so I think 24mpg is legit.

Comment

23 I believe, 24.. ehhh.. Lol. With an automatic I'll believe slighter higher mpg though.
                                AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                                X