So I have a chance of buying 1989 e30 m3, need some opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I have a chance of buying 1989 e30 m3, need some opinions

I posted the same thread at s14 but nobody wants to help so I want to ask you too ;)

So long story short, I've been keeping the phone number of this local guy that was selling a e30 m3 two years ago, and last weekend I finally talked to him and went to see the car..
    I was actually shocked when I saw the car and it made me sad how some people don't care about their cars... (especially when we talk about e30 m3)

the exterior of the car was actually nice, (besides the front bumper needs to be repainted) the color (white) was in pretty good shape... however the interior of the car was totally trashed! literally 100% of it needs to be redone seats are all over the place, carpet is missing, dash is ridiculously cracked and it actually sags at the moment, (maybe besides the door panels)
    The engine has 128k miles, but the last time the car was running was back in 2002!!!!!!(I know this is crazy!)
    the drive shaft popped out when he was doing 100+ mph so that needs to be repaired as well...

So my question is, what would be a reasonable price to buy this car for?
    Hopefully I can provide some pics maybe next weekend, but I really wanted to hear some opinions.

I've talked to some of my friends and they told me that pretty much all the rubber parts in this car need to be replaces, hoses, fuel lines, fluids, filters, suspension is probably not there too...

LMK guys!

I recall seeing a white one on the market for sometime and it was in bad shape and wasn't selling for a good reason. Got pictures or? Looking to restore it? Swap it? Budget build?

Figure a good one goes for XX,000. Just start subtracting all the things it needs done. 3G for fresh interior. 4G for respray. And down the line.

Guy been trying to sell it all this time or ? Matters how motivated he is. Buyer determines the actual value at the time of sale.... throw him some r3v low-ballin' numbers!

Good luck.

Comment

Non-running, basically intact cars start around $6k. If the thing doesn't require a paint job, maybe more. I picked mine up for $3,500. It's a mess (although it's basically rust free outside of a weird spot on the back end), but I enjoy fiddling, so it's slowly coming together.
      2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
      2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
      1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
      1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
      - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
      1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
      1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
      Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, i guess he has no feelings towards the car but he knows what he has.. So he told me he was gonna try to get $7k for it the way it is, which I think it's too much.
        Basically the car needs interior and whatever need to be done to the engine for the fact that it hasn't been started in a loooooong time.
        I'm looking to rebuild it back to it's original condition and probably keep it stock for the most part.
        I believe the interior will cost me a lot less than $3k (I'm good at finding good deals online, and some parts might be picked up from the junkyard) and as far as the exterior I don't think it's gonna need a lot of work (for now anyways)

Comment

The basic answer is that based on the condition you've described, if he lists it properly, he will most likely get the $7k. Not requiring a full repaint is a big deal.
          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, the car won't need a paint job for sure, I forgot to mention that the car is absolutely rust free.

Comment

My only concern is the 9 year non-running period...
              What parts need to be replaced that are gone bad from just sitting for so long?

Comment

Originally posted by idobref View Post
                Yeah, the car won't need a paint job for sure, I forgot to mention that the car is absolutely rust free.
                If it's really, truly rust free then you ought to jump all over it. Even assuming an engine rebuild and piecing together an interior (everything but the seat covers can come from a standard E30 - and you can defer costs by using standard covers in the meantime), that's still not bad.
                1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by idobref View Post
                  My only concern is the 9 year non-running period...
                  What parts need to be replaced that are gone bad from just sitting for so long?
                  Honestly, the basic question is whether or not the engine is seized. All the rubber would pretty much need to be replaced regardless.
                  1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                  1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                  - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                  1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

Hard to offer advice on something like that without detailed pictures. Sure sounds like a decent buy but it could easily go the other way and become a money pit too. Not many excuses to not run a car for 9 years. That's almost 1/2 it's life! Being in the desert helps with the rust issue. Interior is not a big deal, but the S14 is. Do a leak down on it. Pretty big deciding factor right there, the rest isn't a big deal.
                    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

^^ thanks!
                      I will talk to the "owner" and see what we can do about testing the engine ...
                      The only problem with him is that he is too busy all the time and he barely have to to deal with this car, that is the main factor why it took me so long till i was able to see the car, I wish he didn't care that much so he lets it go for cheap though :)

anyways, I will keep bugging him until he tells me to go f myself, or he gives up and let me have the car for cheap ;)
                      I doubt that I can run any tests on the car before buying it ;/

Comment

sounds like it all comes down to the motor.
                        as others have said before if it needs a full rebuild its gona cost you BIG!
                        but if you can lay the car up till you get the funds that's another option to consider.

hey sweet vert!

cheers :up:
                        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Look. The test for the engine is "is there oil in it?" and "will it turn?" If you can turn it with the crank bolt, that's good. I would NOT recommend trying to start it without doing some work. Assume it needs to be rebuilt.
                          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

He actually told me that he will turn the engine every few months (which i totally don't believe) for the last 9 years.
                            He promises me the engine will start right away if the fuel lines/pump are cleaned and battery is hooked up. We were supposed to do that last Sunday, but he never called me ;(

Comment

^^ I most definitely would NOT trust him. People that neglect their cars to the point in which you described would not go turn the motor over by hand.

Overall it sounds like a nice find, great project that you can let sit and slowly fix up as time/money allows. That's exactly how I plan to get my e30 M3 :)
                              2007 Range Rover Sport S/C

Comment

Working...
                              X