No announcement yet.

How much do you love your car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just liability on the E30. If anything happens i figure the insurance company will screw me anyways, I just have some weird feeling that this car is going to get stolen. The E34 has full but my deductable is so high I always pay for everything out of pocket.
    sigpic

Comment

I had full coverage on my last car and decided to go w/o on the Bimmer. Just have glass/theft/fire coverage.

Well, after not having a single incident with any other car I've owned, the 325 has seen hard door dings, badly cracked windshield (replacing after my road trip), and lastly, some ass backed into my HARD in the parking lot at work and took off leaving me with $1,550 in damages. The deductible to get this fixed? $750!!

So, I got my tail lights in today and repairs start tomorrow. Here's to doing it myself!

www.stevesimons.ca

Comment

Full coverage.
        I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Full.

I like my new glass!

Comment

Originally posted by blunt View Post
            i have liability only. my car is a throw away if something happens. ill get another shell and transplant it all over or whatevers left. i cant see putting full coverage on any old pos e30 unless its an m3
            My sentiments exactly! Plus the insurance company isn't going to pay out anything more than the retail book value of the car. My daily driver is an 89 sedan (fully loaded) and its retail value is $2999 according to my insurance company. I know that I will probably pay more than that in premiums over the next year or two and it would be very disheartening to only get that much money after investing well over $7000 into my car. At least I can take comfort in knowing that in a worst case scenario, I can swap everything over to another body as Blunt suggested.

Also, there is a type of auto insurance called "classic car" insurance. Typically the way it works is that the insurance company will either require pictures of the car or they will have to visually make an assessment of the car and then you work out an agreed value. Then in the unfortunate event that you have a total loss, you will collect the agreed value instead of being stuck with what KBB says.

Comment

I love my car so much that I don’t drive it...too scared.

No seriously it is a track/autocross car, not a daily driver (but it is considered a backup car) there is so much money in that car that I really don’t like driving it on the street much. I have full coverage but if I ever got into an accident I would get nothing compared to the money and time that’s invested.

I still have to drive the car to and from events...I’m not really a religious guy, but I say a little prayer every time I have to take my baby out amongst regular folk on public roads. Ironically that is more of a white-knuckle drive than the events themselves.

Justin
              sigpic

Comment

What do you guys pay for insurance, I know kids in england get reamed so they're all driving round in 1.3L shopping trolleys.

I have 3rd Party (liability i guess) and fire and theft coverage. Also have no excess glass cover, all for $160 NZD year (20 year old with good driving history). Average E30 is $2-4K at the moment.

Do the younger members have trouble getting insurance in the states for modifiied cars?

Comment

I do full coverage on my e30 and my Jetta for around $500,000 worth (covers me, uninsured drivers, etc etc) and a $ 1 mil umbrella to cover anything that isn't covered such as extended hospital bills and recovery costs (chiropractic visits, etc) for other drivers as well as myself. I don't feel like getting fucked if I am at fault and someone feels the need to sue me because my insurance didn't quite cover their hospital bills.

My bike has slightly less insurance coverage on it, it caps out around 500k of coverage on each item, per accident.

I pay 140 a month for the e30/jetta and 100 a month for the bike. 5 years no accidents/tickets, good student discount, etc.
                  Last edited by Kruzen; 05-25-2007, 02:30 AM.
                  Who doesn't love a little BBQ?
                  Griot's Garage at a Deep Discount

Comment

Just liability. If my cars are wrecked, they're just parts cars for the next one.

Comment

I have no insurance on mine,
                      and am always scared that someone could steel it,(its in a barn about 35 min. drive from me) or the barn could burn down.
                      but I guess thats the game you play when your not allowed to register a car here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkWing6 View Post
                        Full Coverage

I can't afford to fix any major accidents that might happen to my car. I also like to have it insured against theft, hit-and-run, etc. Insurance companies will also fight for accidents to not be your fault more because then they wont have to pay as much or any.
                        +1 I love my car, my girlfriend just bought a new civic hatchback she spent about 6k on it and was getting off the an on ramp had the right away with a green light and some new teenage driver ran the red smashed her car and totaled both. The girl lied about running the red and since my girl only had liability and no one saw the accident my girlfriend lost out on 6k. FUCK THAT.

Trust me that girl got her's.

NEVER LIE PEOPLE KARMA IS A BITCH lol

Full coverage owns, I pay about $91/m and its worth it to me. I would rather have my car fixed if something happened.

Ash-

oh and Im 24 with one ticket on my record.
                        Last edited by 8atman; 05-25-2007, 01:04 PM.

Comment

When I lived around Boston I had a high deductible collision policy on the E30. Then I moved to S. NH and it cost me less to have full coverage than liability only so I went for that.

Also, I think it depends on the car. I looked at a lot of E30's in NE when I was in the market before I found one suitably clean and rust-free and that comes at a premium. It is possible to take on the insurance company and get more than they would normally pay out. It takes a lot of harrassing (daily calls, written testimony of the cars extremely good condition from your mechanic/friends, daily calls, threats, daily calls, etc..) but it can be done. My buddy's E28 got totalled and it took a while but he convinced them they weren't going to get rid of him with a $2500 check, and that his car had special-interest value and he ended up getting around 6K.

Also, carry under-insured drivers coverage because insurance fraud is huge problem in this area, and you border a state that doesn't require drivers to carry any insurance.

Comment

I am paying like 150 a month for full coverage on my eta and Liability on my turbo, my other 2 cars are currently uninsured and sitting in storage. I am 19 yo with no tickets or accidents.
                            :: PNW Crew ::
                            '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

19, squeaky clean record

$540/6 months

Which is actually about $200 cheaper than I was paying on my truck (73 dodge ram) and a crap load cheaper than on my MKI mr2s

Hooray for sensible old family sedans! :nice:

Comment

Originally posted by mikeedler View Post
                                but I guess thats the game you play when your not allowed to register a car here.
                                why cant you regiser your car there? i saw that same thing said in another thread about somebody buying an e30m3 in germany... what gives?

i just have liability and all state minimums on mine. i dont have a house or anything they can take away from me god forbid something happens (yea i know they can take 4 yrs of wages, at least here in pa, but how much am i really gonna make while i'm in school?)

cant wait to pick up my new e30. my insurance will be down to $61/month. 19yr old, no accidents, clean record. geico motherbitches.

Comment

Working...
                                X